Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Factory engraved M1894 sold at Amoskeag today - real?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 25, 2022 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Chuck said
The good restorers have spent years copying (smoking) all the engraved guns they could get their hands on so when the time came when they needed one they have a template to copy.

Maybe so.  But if a template was used to create the Amoskeag rifle, it was only done very loosely or the engraver lacked the prerequisite skills to even present an example that could remotely pass for original.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 586
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 26, 2022 - 12:13 am

I have been keeping tabs on this since the start. Now I thoroughly enjoy collecting Winchesters and continue to learn from better folks than myself every day about this affliction I have, BUT I will never consider myself a pro. So I would like to ask some questions about this rifle along with a couple comments. I went to see this gun in person but unfortunately it was headed to Tulsa when I went, so never saw it. But I have to believe it was put on display there for many to see. Now I understand peoples reservation of the legitimacy of the engraving as I too feel the engraved animals are “cartoon like”, but I think I have seen some of that look before, cant place it though. So why didn’t it get scrutinized heavily there? So now my questions.

1. Is it possible this gun was sold “in the white” to be retailer engraved for a special person? I believe Colt did this from time to time.

2. If this gun was engraved after it left the factory then it had to have been re-blued as the engraving is filled and appears to be of the same color as the gun, of which it appears to be a factory finish, anyone disagree?

3.Does anyone dispute the checkering, it appears consistent of a gun of this vintage and type.

So in closing I would say that if this gun was in fact set in storage for several decades, as that is completely likely, then I would have to say that Perry was totally duped himself. If the general consensus is that in fact it is not factory engraved, I have now learned that fakery has been going on longer than I have been alive (near 60).  

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6390
November 26, 2022 - 2:17 am

oldcrankyyankee said If the general consensus is that in fact it is not factory engraved, I have now learned that fakery has been going on longer than I have been alive (near 60).  

There’s really no “if” as to the engraving being non-factory.  Who knows but that Perry was offered a deal too good to pass up, even considering the inferior engraving, or maybe it came as part of a package deal. 

Faking rare Colts like Patersons & Walkers began in the ’40s, if not before.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
November 26, 2022 - 11:05 pm

mrcvs said

Chuck said

The good restorers have spent years copying (smoking) all the engraved guns they could get their hands on so when the time came when they needed one they have a template to copy.

Maybe so.  But if a template was used to create the Amoskeag rifle, it was only done very loosely or the engraver lacked the prerequisite skills to even present an example that could remotely pass for original.

The same good restorers have a good engraver.  It really makes it hard to tell sometimes.  My point was whoever did or had this done didn’t use a good guy.

WACA Member
December 24, 2022 - 6:46 pm

Hate to bring up this old poo again, But I was just looking thru the Amoskeag listings of this auction as I was noticing that several of the guns sold were popping up at some ” astute dealers” web sales, and noticed the gun apparently never actually sold. Maybe we will be seeing this one again? Btw I did look up one that was sold at RIA last year and it has the same spindly stick antlers only backwards and the same creepy eyes.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
December 24, 2022 - 6:56 pm

I’ve stated many times.  The fact that they say it sold doesn’t mean it actually did.  This is very common.  The good guys do it to look better.  The crooks do it to set up the next buyer.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
December 24, 2022 - 8:59 pm

oldcrankyyankee said
Hate to bring up this old poo again, But I was just looking thru the Amoskeag listings of this auction as I was noticing that several of the guns sold were popping up at some ” astute dealers” web sales, and noticed the gun apparently never actually sold. Maybe we will be seeing this one again? Btw I did look up one that was sold at RIA last year and it has the same spindly stick antlers only backwards and the same creepy eyes.  

Do you mean the rifles were passed over at the auction, or they did hammer as sold?  If after the auction, the guns showed up in dealer’s catalog, I would assume they purchased them from the auction house?  ConfusedConfused

WACA Member
December 24, 2022 - 9:51 pm

Sorry ,I made my statement a little confusing. So I was perusing the web and noticed some guns on dealer sites that looked all to familiar and when I cross referenced them I noticed the engraved 1894 did not sell…. or so it would appear as it is stated “unsold”. I apologize for the confusion.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306