Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Disable 1873 38.40 Winchester for display purposes
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Randall
WACA Guest
September 16, 2018 - 1:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an 1889 38.40 model and wanted to mount it in inoperable condition so children couldn’t operate it. So I removed those two “toggles” inside the side plates. I didn’t want a trigger lock showing for display purposes. Could someone still insert a cartridge into the breech ( if they had one, I don’t keep any ammo for it ), manually pull the hammer back and fire it? If so, what’s the easiest way to prevent that ( minimum disassembly)

I’ll have to figure out how to get a video or photo in here.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 16, 2018 - 4:37 pm

There is no such thing as a Model 1889.  It most likely is a Model 1873.  I think it will shoot. Take out the firing pin.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
September 16, 2018 - 4:54 pm

Randall, I have seen 73’s with small wooden plugs tapped in the breech and muzzle end of the barrel. The one in the breech is shaped like the cartridge without the rim so it won’t catch the ejector, the one in the muzzle is a dowel tapped in the rifling. To remove you turn a wood screw in the plug in the muzzle and pull it then use a cleaning rod to tap out the one in the breech. Check State law wording to see if it requires a lock. Unless you remove the firing pin the gun can fire, without the toggles the bolt is coming “BACK” when fired. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
September 16, 2018 - 7:13 pm

Chuck said
There is no such thing as a Model 1889.  It most likely is a Model 1873.  I think it will shoot. Take out the firing pin.  

Yes 1873 Winchester as in the topic.   The serial number places it in 1889 as far as manufacture date.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
September 16, 2018 - 7:17 pm

TR said
  Randall, I have seen 73’s with small wooden plugs tapped in the breech and muzzle end of the barrel. The one in the breech is shaped like the cartridge without the rim so it won’t catch the ejector, the one in the muzzle is a dowel tapped in the rifling. To remove you turn a wood screw in the plug in the muzzle and pull it then use a cleaning rod to tap out the one in the breech. Check State law wording to see if it requires a lock. Unless you remove the firing pin the gun can fire, without the toggles the bolt is coming “BACK” when fired. T/R  

Thanks TR.   Yes I now realize I’ve actually made it more dangerous.   The rifle needs to be 100% child proof so I’ll probably look for a wall mount rack that has a locking feature.  Even if I find a trigger lock about the same color as the rifle, I’d rather leave as much of it exposed to view as possible.  Possibly a cable lock.    If I thought I could remove the firing pin without buggering things up I’d do that ( not a gunsmith )

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
September 16, 2018 - 11:26 pm

Randall,

I would second to remove the firing pin and then put it in the butt stock if you don’t have rods in there already so you don’t lose it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
September 17, 2018 - 2:56 am

If you have already removed the toggles  you are at the point where the firing pin could be removed. The only thing holding it in is the forward pin that the toggle goes to, the one that goes through the bolt. On the left side there is a little lever that retracts the firing pin and is held in by that pin. If the pin can be removed easily the little lever drops down and then the firing pin can be removed out the back with the hammer pulled back all the way. Sometimes the hammer does not go far enough back to make it side out. I just tried one of my guns and it came out.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
September 17, 2018 - 4:20 pm

[email protected] said

Yes 1873 Winchester as in the topic.   The serial number places it in 1889 as far as manufacture date.  

Sorry, the post was a little confusing for me.  Post the entire serial number and someone may give you a more concise date. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
September 18, 2018 - 12:33 am

Is this the only firearm these children will ever encounter? Teaching a child about guns makes more sense than trying to child-proof a gun. But yes, removing the firing pin is the most practical way to render most firearms inert.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 56
September 20, 2018 - 9:53 am

Hi Randall.  Best thing to do to your 1873 Rifle, to make it safe is do what Bob said, remove firing pin and store safely.Now get another old firing pin,[plenty of these around]  and grind the front pin section off.  Reassemble. Only you will know it wont fire, and you will have a complete non firing but working Rifle.

Eric

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
September 21, 2018 - 1:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I agree with Eric. Also I’d put the toggle links back in, so you could see how the rifle functions / cycles, and you could dry fire it as well. 

Maverick

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
September 25, 2018 - 2:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I display covering with an cube! Keeps clean, guards against ultraviolet rays from the sun and provides a level of security. 

Smaller kids would not be able to remove the cube. 

Image Enlarger

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
October 15, 2018 - 5:05 pm

That’s a great looking display in your home, Kevin.

Bill

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
October 18, 2018 - 1:03 pm

Blueliner said
That’s a great looking display in your home, Kevin.

Bill  

Thanks Bill, my guests seem to like it and it’s generated some interesting discussions on the ‘Old West’. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, tim tomlinson, Range Ranger
Guest(s) 79
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571