Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Dalton Death rifle 1886 Short Rifle - measurements?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 36
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 23, 2020 - 11:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi everybody,

I love Winchester Short rifles, particularly the 1886. Unfortunately I came only once across a rifle that met those very requirements, i.e. short rifle and 1886, but it was by far to expense for me back then.

Now I have decided to buy a replica one for shooting, not collecting. I will have to modify an existing Pedersoli. I understand that the short rifle forearms were always shorter than the standard rifle forearms, right?

Can anyone help me with the exact and historically correct measurements of the forearm for a 22 inch barrel?

And is anybody aware of the Dalton death picture short rifle, which has a very short forearm and happens to be a 1886? Why would one have one like this installed and was that available by factory?

Thank you very much, guys, your help and advice is much appreciated!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
May 23, 2020 - 1:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I never knew anything about it until you posted.  I google-imaged it and see the one lying across their dead bodies.  Is that the one? 

The barrel does not look all that short to me, but the forearm definitely looks very short.

Then I see another one in a red display case that says “Bob Dalton’s Winchester Rifle.”  The barrel on that one definitely looks short, but the forearm looks standard.  

I could be wrong, but those two certainly aren’t the same rife.  If the one in the box is trying to be passed off as the one in the photo, then someone is lying.

Anyway, I can’t answer your questions, but I wish you luck and look forward to hearing what others have to say.  Love this old history.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 36
May 24, 2020 - 6:38 am

Huck, 

this is exactly the picture I meant. I have seen the display rifle photograph, too – and it is definitely not the gun on the death photograph. 

It is really interesting, and one wonders, in which attic the original maybe could be found one day. Not much hope though… 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
May 24, 2020 - 9:47 pm
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: markone1966, Ben, Kendall M, Blue Ridge Parson, Paul K, Wyatt
Guest(s) 127
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: