Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Attn Bert H. -- DOM For Winchester 1894 30 W.C.F
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 9, 2021 - 3:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey Bert just following up on our thread in other forum. Here’s my last post to refresh your memory…

Hey Bert,
Thanks, yeah it looks like a conical spacer or a fabricated base for the barrel. Maybe the barrel isn’t original and that’s why the rear site doesn’t match? Based on serial number would the original have had an octagon barrel? Is it safe to take the front wood off to see what it looks like underneath? I’m curious now.
Jim

16311413303925595555936333487078-ezeacokezk_v_1631141614.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 9, 2021 - 3:57 pm

Jim,

Good to see that you made the move to the WACA website… you will undoubtedly find it much more interesting.

In answer to your question, the majority of all Model 1894 Sporting Rifles manufactured from September 1894 through the onset of WW I were equipped with an octagon barrel.  The barrel on your rifle is highly likely to be original.

Taking the forend off is a good idea as long as you have the proper tools (a set of hollow-ground screwdrivers).  To remove the forend stock, you will need to first remove the magazine tube.  After disassembling the front end of your rifle, it should be easy to determine how the conical piece is attached, and how to remove it.

The rear sight elevator is the incorrect (non original) piece part.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
September 9, 2021 - 4:07 pm

Bert,

I don’t think you can remove the conical piece. It looks like its acting like a shim. From what I see the barrel has been turned down in a lath. The corners of the barrel stick out beyond the bushing.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 9, 2021 - 4:15 pm

1873man said
Bert,

I don’t think you can remove the conical piece. It looks like its acting like a shim. From what I see the barrel has been turned down in a lath. The corners of the barrel stick out beyond the bushing.

Bob  

Bob,

I am apparently not seeing what you are.  The barrel looks correct to me, just with that odd conical piece on it.  I believe that it would be wise to take the magazine tube and forend stock off and then post pictures of the exposed area where the barrel meets the receiver.

Bert

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 9, 2021 - 4:28 pm

Bert,

Here is what I see, The corners of the barrel are sticking out beyond the bushing and the only way to do that is the barrel had to have metal removed.

Bob

2021-09-09_112634.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 9, 2021 - 4:46 pm

1873man said
Bert,

Here is what I see, The corners of the barrel are sticking out beyond the bushing and the only way to do that is the barrel had to have metal removed.

Bob

I still do not understand your logic in this… the corners of the octagon barrel should be sticking out beyond the bushing (as well as being under the bushing).  The corners should extend all the way to the receiver face (under that bushing piece).  Based on the fact that I can see a small gap across the flat of the barrel (directly behind the”F”), it appears that the bushing piece is merely sitting on top of the barrel covering the last .25 – .375 inch of the barrel.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
September 9, 2021 - 9:04 pm

The OD of the barrel under the bushing has to be smaller than the rest of the barrel.  I see what Bob is saying.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
September 9, 2021 - 9:14 pm

Chuck said
The OD of the barrel under the bushing has to be smaller than the rest of the barrel.  I see what Bob is saying.  

The corner of the flat has been machined off under the bushing/shim. its like putting a square plug in this case a octagon plug in a round hole, you have to remove the corner to get it in. The only way to tell why it was done is if you remove the barrel.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
September 9, 2021 - 11:26 pm

The addition of the “Shim” modifies the barrel from it original condition. If it was repaired by the factory, they wouldn’t have used such a “Shim” and would have properly repaired or replaced the barrel.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
September 10, 2021 - 2:13 am

Welcome, James! It seems to me we’re looking at a bushing of some sort and as you have figured out the fore end wood is preventing a better look. Be gentle if you decide to remove it, very thin at both ends. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
September 10, 2021 - 7:51 am

1873man said
Bert,

Bob

Im a machinist toolmaker Bob and i see exactly what you are referring to. good catch

WACA Guest
September 13, 2021 - 2:03 am

Hey Bert,

Yeah, I chickened out on removing the magazine tube. I’m too ignorant of the mechanics and forces of the rifle. I don’t want to screw something up. Anyway, I’ve got them stored away now. But will drag them out later this year or early next when I have time to spend on them. I don’t want to half-ass it.

Btw, I see you’re in Kingston, I grew up in Silverdale and now live in Tacoma. Maybe I can bring them up sometime and you can show me how to take care of them without doing harm.

Thanks,

Jim

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 14, 2021 - 10:28 pm

Hello Jim,

When did you last live in Silverdale? I have been in Kitsap County since early 1985 and at the time Silverdale was still just a “wide spot in the road”

Bert

WACA Guest
September 16, 2021 - 12:06 am

I graduated from Central Kitsap High School in 1981 and haven’t lived in Silverdale since 1983. I have some great memories of Kingston, Indianola and Poulsbo. You never really forget the area you came from even though it may have changed dramatically.

Anyway, looking forward to spending time with the rifles this fall or winter. If you’ve got some links to trusted online resources for working on and maintaining these rifles please send.

Thanks,

Jim

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 16, 2021 - 12:45 am

James Knighten said
I graduated from Central Kitsap High School in 1981 and haven’t lived in Silverdale since 1983. I have some great memories of Kingston, Indianola and Poulsbo. You never really forget the area you came from even though it may have changed dramatically.

Anyway, looking forward to spending time with the rifles this fall or winter. If you’ve got some links to trusted online resources for working on and maintaining these rifles please send.

Thanks,

Jim  

I do not know of any trusted online resources, but am relatively handy at working on them myself when required.  After this Covid epidemic dies down, we can arrange a get together and I can show you a few tricks of the trade.

Bert

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, Bert H., 426crown, Kirk Durston, rogertherelic
Guest(s) 184
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034