Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Antique 1894 in 30-30
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 20, 2018 - 3:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi all, 

As I continue to learn more with your help I wanted to ask about another rifle that caught my eye. I’d like an antique 1894 in .30-30 and this one though worn, has an appealing patina to my eye. I like the even wear to the bluing. It seems to me to be correct and in fair overall condition, but like many of simpsons guns I figured it to be overpriced given condition. 

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z35192

Any opinions based on the pics and description? Anything in particular about this configuration or condition that I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
September 20, 2018 - 4:17 am

It’s actually not an “antique” since it was made in 1900–see link below.  With that in mind, I think the price is a bit high for a well-used (but honest) plain-Jane 1894 in the most common caliber.

https://winchestercollector.org/dates

Don

WACA Guest
September 20, 2018 - 4:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Don, 

The following guide on winchester’s website dates the SN to 1897. The 1894 sn range is on page 9. Is this guide incorrect?

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/support/faq/serial-number-reference/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

Do you know why there would be an inconsistency between the link you sent and this guide compiled from Winchester’s records?

Bobby

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
September 20, 2018 - 4:59 am

Bobby,

Coincidentally, this same exact topic was just discussed at the tail end of the attached forum thread:

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/estate-sale-1894-whats-the-verdict/

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
September 20, 2018 - 8:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

BobbyJ said
Don, 

The following guide on winchester’s website dates the SN to 1897. The 1894 sn range is on page 9. Is this guide incorrect?

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/support/faq/serial-number-reference/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

Do you know why there would be an inconsistency between the link you sent and this guide compiled from Winchester’s records?

Bobby  

Yes, that guide is incorrect.  The inconsistency is because the guide you mention was not created using original Winchester records.  Instead, it was created by copying the erroneous information published by George Madis.  The original surviving Winchester records are in the possession of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center of The West, and they are used extensively by the Cody Firearms Museum records office when they produce Factory letters for people wanting to know the manufacture history of their old Winchesters. 

The Winchester date of manufacture look-up tool available here on the WACA website was created using the information in the original records.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
September 20, 2018 - 7:51 pm
Thanks Bert, that’s a fascinating source of confusion!
To calibrate my judgement. What would this gun be priced at if it were an antique, and what is its true value given that it is not?
thanks
bobby
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
September 21, 2018 - 12:26 am

BobbyJ said

Thanks Bert, that’s a fascinating source of confusion!
To calibrate my judgement. What would this gun be priced at if it were an antique, and what is its true value given that it is not?
thanks
bobby  

The current asking price is not unrealistic for an early 1900s production Model 1894 Sporting Rifle in that caliber and condition.  If it were truly “Antique”, the asking price could easily be as much as $2,500.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: rwsem, [email protected]
Guest(s) 176
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970