Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A letterable Model 1894 deluxe case hardened, take-down, matted barrel rifle coming up
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 8, 2022 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/catalog/403251/fall-2022-auction/?q=winchester+1894

Lot 4064

This one looks good to me. Nice that it is antique status.  Given it letters, the only variable I would be concerned about is whether any of the finish been helped in any way?  I’d want to hold it in my hands before I bid.  But it checks a lot of boxes as a collectible 1894.  I love the case hardened receiver and matted barrel options.  Pistol grip checkered wood and takedown are nice features too Cool

Anyone else drooling?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
October 8, 2022 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I don’t buy guns like this based upon pictures.  But, it appears OK except for the sling eyes.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
October 9, 2022 - 12:23 pm

Why are so many Deluxe rifles returned for repair? This one may have had the swivels add at this time. 

WACA Member
October 9, 2022 - 2:08 pm

cjs57 said
Why are so many Deluxe rifles returned for repair? This one may have had the swivels add at this time. 

Could be the swivels were added at that time.  If the swivel and the installation look originally, I usually don’t hold that against a rifle if they are not mentioned in the ledger.  Particularly, if there are many special order features, we often find that not all get listed.  This is typical with the Marlin ledgers as well.  With the Marlin, most frustrating of all is that when factory engraving is present, it is often not noted in the ledger!

As to why many Deluxe rifles seem to be return for repair, that something interesting to speculate about.  Perhaps because the customer who takes the time to special order a rifle and pay extra for the fancy version, he is someone who gives more thought to the details of his rifle than a customer who just buys a rifle off the shelf to hunt with.  He is someone who has a clearer idea of what he wants and has specific preferences – he wants his rifle to be just so.  Hence, he ships it back to the factory as part of an evolving vision.  For me, this is more plausible than the idea that fancy rifles break more often.  If anything, one would think a fancy rifle would receive more care and less hard use than a standard rifle.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
November 13, 2022 - 1:37 pm

Steve I really liked Lot 4069 and the estimated price. The estimate was far below the final hammer price. I can’t copy and paste the gun for some reason. 

Rick C 

WACA Member
November 13, 2022 - 2:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

RickC said
Steve I really liked Lot 4069 and the estimated price. The estimate was far below the final hammer price. I can’t copy and paste the gun for some reason. 

Rick – I really liked it too.  The low end of the auction estimate was quite appealing.  Not surprisingly, that did not come to pass.  Let’s see if this link works:

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot/134712247/exceptionally-rare-case-colored-winchester-1894?q=winchester+1894

WACA Member
November 13, 2022 - 3:17 pm

steve004 said

RickC said

Rick – I really liked it too.  The low end of the auction estimate was quite appealing.  Not surprisingly, that did not come to pass.  Let’s see if this link works:

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot/134712247/exceptionally-rare-case-colored-winchester-1894?q=winchester+1894

This one here below Steve.

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot/134712262/winchester-model-1894-semi-deluxe-takedown-lever?q=winchester+1894

Rick C 

WACA Member
November 13, 2022 - 3:51 pm

RickC said

steve004 said

RickC said

This one here below Steve.

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot/134712262/winchester-model-1894-semi-deluxe-takedown-lever?q=winchester+1894

I see.  Sold for more than double the high end of the auction estimate.  Nice gun.  Nice chambering.  I’m not surprised it didn’t see within the auction estimate.

WACA Member
November 13, 2022 - 3:59 pm

Yes beautiful gun. I guess they originally thought a semi deluxe wouldn’t fetch what it did. Not like they would estimate it low on purpose. 

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
November 15, 2022 - 2:16 pm

Nice piece, I was in there up to $32500.00 but just couldn’t do any more, with the Canada/ U.S. dollar difference right now , at $32500.00 that would have cost Me app. $65000.00 Cdn., with all the fees and taxes, by time it landed at My door.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Cheyenne WY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
November 23, 2022 - 8:45 pm

steve004 said

cjs57 said

Could be the swivels were added at that time.  If the swivel and the installation look originally, I usually don’t hold that against a rifle if they are not mentioned in the ledger.  Particularly, if there are many special order features, we often find that not all get listed.  This is typical with the Marlin ledgers as well.  With the Marlin, most frustrating of all is that when factory engraving is present, it is often not noted in the ledger!

As to why many Deluxe rifles seem to be return for repair, that something interesting to speculate about.  Perhaps because the customer who takes the time to special order a rifle and pay extra for the fancy version, he is someone who gives more thought to the details of his rifle than a customer who just buys a rifle off the shelf to hunt with.  He is someone who has a clearer idea of what he wants and has specific preferences – he wants his rifle to be just so.  Hence, he ships it back to the factory as part of an evolving vision.  For me, this is more plausible than the idea that fancy rifles break more often.  If anything, one would think a fancy rifle would receive more care and less hard use than a standard rifle.

I do this with custom stuff. I can see that. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, wally, deerhunter, Jeremy P, Blue Ridge Parson, TG, Paul K
Guest(s) 202
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727