Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1890 barrel query
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 22, 2013 - 7:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, Winchester folk,

I’m planning to ‘get around to’ a project rifle, and would appreciate some advice.

(I realise that this is more of ‘Winchester users’ question that a ‘collectors’ question, but hopefully, it would be alright here?)

The rifle is a model 1890, of 1910 vintage, per the published ‘polishing room’ data. At some time in its history, someone attempted to replace the barrel, and, apparently, didn’t know how to remove/replace the mag rings, so he brazed them, and put quite a dramatic warp in the barrel doing that. (this is one of the ‘you have to see it to believe it’ bits of ‘bad bodger’ work….a sad shame, actually)

The bluing is long gone, and since it can’t ever be original again, I’d like to rebuild this one as a working rifle, for the young people’s basic instruction events I run at our local range.

So, the question is, has anyone any experience with the reproduction barrels for the M90 as sold by Numrich and other suppliers?

Are they held anywhere near the original Winchester tolerances, and is one likely to fit and work as intended?

Is there any particular supplier who can be recommended, one who supplies high quality replacement parts? Obviously, external finish quality means little, in this context.

I wouldn’t at all mind fitting a model 06, 62, or 62A barrel, if I could get a good serviceable one…….would anyone know of someone who might have one of those which they’d care to sell?

Would I guess correctly that a model 90/62/62A ‘hybrid’ might be a reasonable copy of a model 1890 rifle which would have been sent back to Winchester for repairs in, say, the late 1930’s, and fitted with a then-current production barrel?

cheers

Carla

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Zebulon, Paul K, Scott Bailey
Guest(s) 303
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601