Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Blank Tang 1894 PICS ADDED
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 6, 2014 - 8:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The tang looks "legit" to me. No rounded edges or dished screw holes and the finish is comparable to the balance of the rifle.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
April 6, 2014 - 9:15 am

From what I have heard there are a few other blank tang rifles around. I have my doubts about it being stolen and ending up in Canada. But anything is possible.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 378
April 6, 2014 - 9:26 am

If the Tulsa show is this weekend, I believe that Jesi does s/n searches for free if she is there. # 714 and # 8 would be good ones to check to answer 2 different threads on the forum.

Paul

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 268
April 6, 2014 - 9:50 am

It’s a simple mistake, I’ve seen guns made in the last 30yrs. Go out without roll stamps. Just like the US mint, some mistakes slip by

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 40
April 6, 2014 - 11:57 am

as mentioned in an earlier post I am new to this site and fairly new to
Winchesters I have spent several years reading researching and collecting
the Marlin lever action guns then in a quest for more information I ventured
into the Winchester world to compare the two and compare notes? it has
been a very interesting study .I thought that everything was black and white
when dealing with Winchesters? well I have since learned that is not the case. for what it is worth Marlin introduced the Model 1893 in the year
of 1893 and some of the very early guns of the said model do not have the
tang marked either? I have one in 38-55 caliber shipped early in 1894 with
out the upper tang being marked as the model 1894 in question after 1894
they all appear to be marked. it is thought that in trying to get some of
the new models out as quick as possible and not having the roll stamps
ready for the new model that a few guns got assembled with out the model
markings on the tang thanks Jim

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
April 6, 2014 - 3:10 pm

Bert H. said
Mike,

Thank you very much for posting the pictures. While it certainly looks like it was manufactured with a blank upper tang, I still have my own doubts about it.

Of the (114) First Model 1894 rifles & carbines I have surveyed to this point, serial number 714 is the only specimen with a blank upper tang. Again, I am not of the belief that Winchester ever intentionally allowed any of them out the door without the Model designation marking on the upper tang.

Bert

From a hands on examination I am convinced it is genuine. Also my friend acquired it for a VERY reasonable asking price from a guy who didn’t know enough about old Winchesters to even mention the lack of markings. The owner already has the factory info, I don’t know if any other info is available. I feel it is a rare bird especially being a first model.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
April 6, 2014 - 5:25 pm

Certainly looks like it has not been buffed nor refinished. Neat find.

Matt

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
April 6, 2014 - 9:14 pm

The serial numbers and upper tang markings were both applied before the receiver frames were sent to the polishing and bluing shop.

That receiver would have passed through at least a dozen different Winchester employee’s hands before it left the factory as a ready to sell rifle. As such, I have a very hard time believing that it made its way through the entire manufacturing process and then out the warehouse door without somebody bringing it to the attention of the shop foreman.

Additionally, why would it be just the Model 1894 that blank upper tangs occurred on? Why not the Modes 1886, 1890, 1892, etc.? Why only the early production Model 1894 frames? Why not 1900, 1910, or 1920 vintage Model 1894s?

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
April 7, 2014 - 10:22 am

I believe I’ve seen somewhere out there a model 1873 with a top blank tang as well. I’ll have to look back through my stuff to see where.

Sincerely,
Maverick

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
April 7, 2014 - 4:30 pm

While I havent heard of an 1894 making it out of the factory without a tang stamp, I find it intriguing, and thanks for posting.

I dont have a problem believing the receiver captioned in the photos is a 100% original, and did make it out the door as-is, anythings possible. Also, that its an early production serial number. Winchester may have been more focused on getting their new line of firearm out the door to the public to start recouping the capital they invested in its development and initial production than to worry about a few unmarked tangs. Maybe it wasnt overlooked and the executive decision was made to send it out the door anyway, it still went out the door with the Winchesters name stamped on the barrel. For so few to potentially exist, any number of reasons could be conjured for its occurrence. People made mistakes then as they do now, and things get overlooked. If weve been paying attention we know that the Winchester employees were no exception to the rule.

No single person that saw that gun through the production line is living today to provide a reason for why it is what is is. So we have to form our opinions based on what we know to be true. Its become too easy to dismiss an anomaly like this, or others, because they dont quite fit the "standard". In this case you have to go back to the receiver captioned in the photos. And if you can, envision the receiver with the tang stamp. Had it possessed the tang stamp, is there anything else about the receiver to make one think its not original??

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 183
May 20, 2014 - 1:19 pm

Blank upper tangs DO exist very infrequently on first model 1894s. I have seen only one in person but have heard of others, usually in the 3 digits. No explanation – no serial numbers.
Bob

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
August 16, 2019 - 2:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just saw the blank tang chat..  I have a 1974 model 94 in 30/30.. It has a blank tang… 

4091XXX

Just wanted to add it to you discussion so that folks can see that there were goofs in all time periods.. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
August 16, 2019 - 4:35 am

[email protected] said
Just saw the blank tang chat..  I have a 1974 model 94 in 30/30.. It has a blank tang… 

4091XXX

Just wanted to add it to you discussion so that folks can see that there were goofs in all time periods..   

Winchester stopped marking the upper tangs on all Model 94s in late June of 1942 (near serial number 1340000). All of the post-WW II or later Model 94s have a blank upper tang.  Your 1970s production Carbine is not a “goof”

Bert

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
August 16, 2019 - 2:25 pm

“road king” said
Hi Mike, if that gun was found in NB it will be the second one I have seen in NB with a blank tang and first model. Interesting if it was found by our mutual friend in S.J. as I think he may have the other one.
Brian  

Well there is that Brian guy! Good to know you’re still among the upright Brian. Hope you’re well. Peter

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
August 16, 2019 - 4:02 pm

Eagle said

Well there is that Brian guy! Good to know you’re still among the upright Brian. Hope you’re well. Peter  

At least he was 5 years ago………Confused

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
August 17, 2019 - 2:45 pm

Woops, I didn’t notice the date of his postEmbarassed

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 545
December 21, 2022 - 8:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Rick Hill said
If memory serves, serial no. 8 has been seriously refinished and that may account for the lack of upper tang markings. The current owner drags that gun around to gun shows trolling for an offer that he can’t refuse. I’ve seen it in Cody and in Reno several times.

It sold in Sept 2019 at Rock island for $57,500.

RickC 

WACA Member
December 21, 2022 - 8:57 pm

RickC 

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 21, 2022 - 9:01 pm

RickC said

Rick Hill said

If memory serves, serial no. 8 has been seriously refinished and that may account for the lack of upper tang markings. The current owner drags that gun around to gun shows trolling for an offer that he can’t refuse. I’ve seen it in Cody and in Reno several times.

It sold at Rock island for $54,656.

And that does not mean squat… we all know that RIA attracts more than the usual number of people willing to spend big $$$$ on guns that are not what they are advertised to be.

WACA Member
December 21, 2022 - 9:10 pm

Bert H. said

RickC said

Rick Hill said

It sold at Rock island for $54,656.

And that does not mean squat… we all know that RIA attracts more than the usual number of people willing to spend big $$$$ on guns that are not what they are advertised to be.

It meant squat to someone!

RickC 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: bhutch, tsbccut, Range Ranger
Guest(s) 20
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571