Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
ANTIQUE WINCHESTER MODEL 1892 44-40
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 5, 2013 - 9:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just acquired a 90+% model 92 round barreled rifle in 44-40 made in 1895. It is spectacular. Perfect bore, all original varnish on wood, pristine barrel blue, and some plumb color on receiver. BUT it has the WP on the receiver and barrel, which I understand was not done until 1904-1905 time frame. I also noticed the butt stock had 695 stamped in the top tang slot and on the lower receiver tang as well. when I removed the fore end, I found 695 on the bottom of the barrel as well. There was also a VP stamp and a numeral 2 in the mag tube slot by the front of the receiver. Does this mean it went back to the factory for work? Does the 2 mean it is a 1902 barrel?
Can any one shed any light on this?
Thanks

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
August 5, 2013 - 9:27 am

The "2" is not the year of manufacture. The "695" stamped on the various parts is an assembly number, and was used to ensure that the correct parts were reassembled after final finishing.

Winchester began using the WP proof marks in 1905. If your Model 1892 was manufactured in the year 1895, it either was returned to the factory in or after 1905, or it is not authentic. Have you considered getting a factory letter for it from Cody?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 38
August 5, 2013 - 10:10 am

I agree with the 1905 date and the proofs were clearly added at a date after 1895. I assumed it went back for something but I don’t know how to tell what was done. I have other 92’s, no antiques though and they don’t seem to have numbered wood, tangs or barrels. I have called Cody and am waiting for verification whether they have records on this number.
Thanks for the information.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 81
August 5, 2013 - 10:11 am

Gastrap,

If you decide on acquiring a factory letter,the letter should have an R&R after 1905 which make you assume the barrel was changed and proofed, and i have read the Winchester sometime proofs the receiver at this time but i,m not sure if i remember this correctly,a photo of the barrel address would be helpful to determine the time frame of the R&R.
And even if there is an R&R after the time Winchester started using proof marks on the 92 this is still going to negatively impact the value,how much, thats hard to say; maybe 20% but thats just a guess.

John K.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2293
August 5, 2013 - 2:39 pm

gastrap,

If you will send me the full serial number and a photo of the proof stamps and the barrel address I can give you a time range of when the barrel was produced and thus a period of time for when it may have been replaced. The reason the bore is pristine is that it is new compared to the balance of the gun. Are you 100% certain that the finish on the gun is factory original? It would be difficult to have a shot out barrel and still have high condition on the rest of the gun.

Send me a PM for my email address.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
August 5, 2013 - 5:41 pm

It is easy to ruin a barrel with corrosive ammo. Or a single shot with a cleaning patch or a mud plug in the bore will ruin a mint gun’s barrel no problem.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 77
August 7, 2013 - 7:48 am

What is a mud plug

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
August 7, 2013 - 10:32 am

Rex said
What is a mud plug

Rex,

Once you get outside of Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona, you might encounter something other than dry dirt & sand… i.e mud (wet dirt) 😯

A gun barrel that is accidentally poked into the ground in a dry climate is unlikely to develop a "mud plug", but if you do that out here in western Washington, I can almost guarantee that you will create a "mud plug". Wink

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
August 7, 2013 - 5:56 pm

And, if you get up to Canada or the Northern US, you may also learn about "snow plugs". Heard more than one story about an old rifle or shotgun going bad in a fast way after some hunter fell with the gun in the snow, or just tripped up and the muzzle ended up in the snow, and he never thought to check the barrel for a snow obstruction which soon froze and turned to ice. Not a pretty discharge.

Matt

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: wally, cj57, deerhunter, clarence, [email protected], Bill Yadlosky
Guest(s) 14
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2293
mrcvs: 1726