Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
$6500.00 Mod.92
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 3, 2023 - 3:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Manuel said

tionesta1 said

Michael,

While we are on your survey topic.  How many 1892’s do you have in semi deluxe configuration. Mine is a 32-20, pistol grip I checkered, octagon barrel, full mag. Below is the Work sheet on it. I believe you already have it in your survey, but I’m curious to know how many in this particular configuration do you have.

Thanks,

Al

IMG_4016.JPGImage Enlarger

Al,

I have almost the exact same rifle but mine is a takedown and antique.  Mine even has the same sight language as yours does.   I’d be interested to see the numbers as well.   Mine is in about 90% condition.

Manuel,

Here is mine.  I’ve shown it on the forum before.

Al

IMG_4013.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4025.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4017.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4027.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
February 3, 2023 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Al –

That is a beautiful rifle. 

I was thinking about a comment someone made recently who had a rifle that had flaked substantially (while in their possession). It raised the question about purchasing a very high condition rifle when there is the prospect that if you keep it a long time – without using it all – it might flake.  Hence, you end up with something less than what you had purchased.  

We know flaking is more common on later production rifles as the higher nickel content didn’t take the bluing as well. Your ’92 is earlier than that.

On your rifle, on the left side, near the bottom, there is a line of blue loss.  Is that from flaking?  Has it been that way since you purchased it?  I’m just wondering what the prospects are of the flaking advancing over the years.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
February 3, 2023 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I think that is a reflection of the table cover? T/R

WACA Member
February 3, 2023 - 2:56 pm

steve004 said
Al –

I was thinking about a comment someone made recently who had a rifle that had flaked substantially (while in their possession). It raised the question about purchasing a very high condition rifle when there is the prospect that if you keep it a long time – without using it all – it might flake.  Hence, you end up with something less than what you had purchased.  

We know flaking is more common on later production rifles as the higher nickel content didn’t take the bluing as well. Your ’92 is earlier than that.

On your rifle, on the left side, near the bottom, there is a line of blue loss.  Is that from flaking?  Has it been that way since you purchased it?  I’m just wondering what the prospects are of the flaking advancing over the years.

Thanks Steve,

This is an early model 1892, serial number applied August 30, 1900.  There is no blue loss on the left side. As TR stated, it is from the table cover reflection.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
February 3, 2023 - 4:13 pm

tionesta1 said

steve004 said

Al –

Thanks Steve,

This is an early model 1892, serial number applied August 30, 1900.  There is no blue loss on the left side. As TR stated, it is from the table cover reflection.

Well that solves that.  I wouldn’t have guessed that.  Thanks!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 584
February 4, 2023 - 8:48 pm

Here is one of my 92’sIMG_0337.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0316.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
February 4, 2023 - 9:02 pm

oldcrankyyankee said
Here is one of my 92’sIMG_0337.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0316.JPGImage Enlarger

That’s a very nice carbine. I like that it letters with the plain pistol grip stock.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6362
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294