Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 11, 2023 - 5:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just picked up a beautiful rifle with a whole bunch of special order features…

Rifle1/2 octagon barrel

matted

1 pound extra heavy.

Set trigger

1/2 magazine 5 cartridges

checked stock pistol grip

shotgun butt

oil finish.

Sling and swivel

oval silver name plate in fore-arm 1″ long

Length of stock 14″,

Lyman wind gauge, set screw in front sight

no rear sight seat.

It is in excellent original condition with a bright bore. I got a box of ammunition with it, loaded with jacketed bullets, from Buffalo Arms. I think I will pull the bullets and reload them with cast bullets…

thumbnail-IMG-1153.jpgImage Enlarger

thumbnail-IMG-1154.jpgImage Enlarger

thumbnail-IMG-1155.jpgImage Enlarger

thumbnail-IMG-1156.jpgImage Enlarger

thumbnail-IMG-1157.jpgImage Enlarger

thumbnail-IMG-1164.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4248
May 11, 2023 - 6:42 pm

Simply amazing.  My gosh but that rifle has so much going for it!  Even the unusual sights letter!  And in the very best chambering!  

The envy I’m feeling at the moment is almost more than I can stand.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
May 11, 2023 - 6:53 pm

Wow, what a beautiful and special rifle.  Love all the special order features, and the caliber.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
May 11, 2023 - 7:23 pm

steve004 said
Simply amazing.  My gosh but that rifle has so much going for it!  Even the unusual sights letter!  And in the very best chambering!  

The sights on that rifle are very nice, but they are not factory original per the factory letter.  The front sight on that rifle right now is a Winchester Wind Gauge Globe, and it has a standard Lyman No. 1 tang sight.

The caliber and configuration of that rifle is certainly something very special Cool

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
May 11, 2023 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Even the swivels letter!

I’ll bet Clarence will have something to say about the practicality of that front sight Wink

WACA Guest
May 12, 2023 - 1:00 am

Bert H. said

steve004 said

The sights on that rifle are very nice, but they are not factory original per the factory letter.  The front sight on that rifle right now is a Winchester Wind Gauge Globe, and it has a standard Lyman No. 1 tang sight.

The caliber and configuration of that rifle is certainly something very special Cool

The letter said nothing of a rear tang sight at all, whether it is a Lyman or any other tang sight, is of no real consequence. Some type of sight had to be put on it to shoot it without a rear barrel sight. 

When have you seen so many special orders on a single rifle? Being 50-100-450 is rare enough without the special orders. How many 1886’s could there be like this?  You know a lot about High Walls, I was hoping the same for your knowledge of 1886’s.

I hope it shoots light bullets.. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 12, 2023 - 1:44 am

I have not tried to study the Model 1886 in the same detail that I have for the Single Shots.  That stated, I do know that there were a very substantial number of Model 1886 rifles made with multiple special order features.  John Madl would be the person I would ask about this rifle. 

While I cannot accurately answer your question of “how many”, I highly doubt that there are any other Model 1886 rifles configured the same as this rifle… it is very likely to be a true one-of-a-kind.  Like I stated before, the caliber and configuration are something quite special.

I suspect that it will shoot lighter bullets just fine… are you considering loading it up for some Prairie Dogs outings Laugh

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 294
May 12, 2023 - 2:48 am

Congrats! Very Nice! A real Gem

WACA Guest
May 12, 2023 - 3:41 am

Bert H. said
I have not tried to study the Model 1886 in the same detail that I have for the Single Shots.  That stated, I do know that there were a very substantial number of Model 1886 rifles made with multiple special order features.  John Madl would be the person I would ask about this rifle. 

While I cannot accurately answer your question of “how many”, I highly doubt that there are any other Model 1886 rifles configured the same as this rifle… it is very likely to be a true one-of-a-kind.  Like I stated before, the caliber and configuration are something quite special.

I suspect that it will shoot lighter bullets just fine… are you considering loading it up for some Prairie Dogs outings Laugh

Bert

Gophers by tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well…

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
May 13, 2023 - 4:32 am

You’re my hero, Shrapnel! Score an awesome rifle and take it out hunting.
I must advise against light bullets in the 50-100-450 on gophers, those critters may charge when wounded. If you insist on a light bullet please consider a hollow point and a generous charge of Holy Black. Hold tight, favor the X-ring, and caress that set trigger!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
May 13, 2023 - 2:24 pm

I got it out, shot the target. First shot low, with a little elevation, second and third shots touching. It will work…

https://i.imgur.com/Nqu2Ywt.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/92aCO1O.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 2:55 pm

Shrapnel said
I got it out, shot the target. First shot low, with a little elevation, second and third shots touching. It will work…

https://i.imgur.com/Nqu2Ywt.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/92aCO1O.jpgImage Enlarger

Well that’s very impressive and satisfying.  Either shot will take prairie dog (or gopher) right between the eyes Laugh

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 13, 2023 - 4:27 pm

What weight bullet, and what was your powder charge ?

WACA Guest
May 13, 2023 - 8:51 pm

Bert H. said

315 grain gas check, 40 grains 5744…

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 13, 2023 - 10:45 pm

Shrapnel said

Bert H. said

315 grain gas check, 40 grains 5744…

Probably not quite “varmint” velocity, but for a .50 Cal, it is close enough. Cool

WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 10:59 pm

What is the barrel length?

WACA Guest
May 13, 2023 - 11:32 pm

steve004 said

22 inches…

WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 11:35 pm

Shrapnel said

steve004 said

22 inches…

Thanks.  I thought it looked shorter than standard.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 36
May 14, 2023 - 6:40 am

That is an amazing rifle!!! ? ? ? And a great caliber! I recently read a reprint of Kepharts book Sporting firearms and he mentioned that the 50/100/450 was far superior to the 50/110, because of the longer bullet it was more accurate. Yet I still have Mike Venturinos words in my head who wrote that Winchesters in 50 caliber do not have a reputation for accuracy…

Does anybody have any thoughts and experience with either statement? Would be interesting to know… 

WACA Guest
May 23, 2023 - 5:32 am

While I was at the Colorado Collector’s Show in Greeley, Colorado, I met some knowledgeable guys there that helped me with the rifle. I had misread the letter, thinking the sight that was mentioned in the letter was a reference to the front sight as it had the wind adjustable front sight.

Instead, the sight was a Wind adjustable rear sight and a front sight with a set screw, which is common on those rifles with a silver sight blade. Bert had pointed that out in his post, I was still thinking it was referring specifically to the front sight because of the windage sight that was on the gun. I called Brad Dunbar and he was kind enough to send me a picture out of an old Lyman catalogue of what that wind adjustable sight looked like. 

After a short search at the show, I found one. It matched the description in the letter and also matched the sight illustrated in Brad’s catalogue. It shows just how the rear of the bolt is squared off to allow the rear sight on the tang to clear when the gun is reloaded.

I ran into Tom Adams, who had researched the 50-100-450 to find out all the variations and total number of guns built in that caliber. He had  copy from the original Winchester ledger, that showed the features that were ordered on the gun.

The gun show proved to be well worth my trip to Greeley…

https://i.postimg.cc/R0dvPknB/03-CC93-BF-F2-E8-498-F-AE96-E92-BB01-AD183.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.postimg.cc/HLdp9Ynz/856-ACE97-8-C9-C-4069-8985-1-D23-B36389-B9.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.postimg.cc/d10wg58T/72-A76286-E334-41-C2-A286-1-A0283-ADC58-B.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Antonio, rwsem, oldcrankyyankee
Guest(s) 126
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248