Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1st Model 1873, nicest I’ve laid eyes on
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Nevada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 26, 2023 - 5:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

New member here!  I’ve been following for a long time…soaked up tons of priceless knowledge from all of you, and it’s been an amazing resource as I’ve started to collect Winchesters over the last few years.  I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but assure you it will be far from my last.   

I mainly love the 94s and model 70s (who doesn’t) but have a strong desire to get into the ‘73s.  I’ve been eyeing them for a while but never pulled the trigger due to not finding one that really spoke to me.  BUT, I may have found the one that I want to start with, hence my need for some HELP.  My concern is, it’s too good to be true…to have stumbled upon what could be my most prized rifle if it comes home, and to have found it in person, i feel very lucky (maybe).  I’ve held a lot of 1873s, admired them and found myself jealous of the owners, but to call me an expert or even knowledgeable would be a stretch.  I only know what I’ve learned from here and from other online resources. 

A little about the rifle:

-Model 1873, 1st model

-44wcf

-SN: 29xxx

-Rifle is lettered, and if I wrote my note correctly, mfg in July of 1878, shipped in Aug of 1878.  

-it has a case hardened receiver with a round bbl (I believe round from the receiver on, don’t think it had a partial octagon).  I need to measure bbl tomorrow. 

-magazine tube is much shorter than the barrel, extends just past the forend.  “Half mag” is what I’ve heard it referred to I think? 

-case hardened receiver is in UNBELIEVABLE shape for the age, at least it’s the best I’ve ever seen.  It is certainly not without wear, but looks excellent. All other finishes are in excellent shape, which makes me wonder if it’s original.  Wood furniture appears to my novice eye to be consistent with the rest of the rifle’s condition and age, with small dings, dents, scratches throughout but would call it excellent shape for the age. 

Stupidly, I did not think to take pictures at the time, but kicked myself shortly after.  I was too busy admiring.  I plan on going back tomorrow with a flashlight to check the bore and also take pictures.  I will make sure to take pictures of all markings, dust cover, etc.  

I know pictures is what will really be needed for any of you to help out, which I will post.  But, in the meantime are there any specific things I should look at/for when I go back tomorrow?  Also, does all the info provided sound correct for a first model? 

thanks all in advance!! 

‘47 Transition Model 70, ‘51 1894, ‘50 1894, pre-safety 94 trapper 44, ‘99 9422 magnum trapper. 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
May 26, 2023 - 1:14 pm

First models with high condition require extra close inspection because not many survived in that condition. Also post the full serial number. I can see if its surfaced before if not I can add it to the survey.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Nevada
WACA Member
May 26, 2023 - 4:04 pm

Thank you Bob!  Yes I plan to take a lot of time inspecting and researching this one.  
Sn: 29354

‘47 Transition Model 70, ‘51 1894, ‘50 1894, pre-safety 94 trapper 44, ‘99 9422 magnum trapper. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 26, 2023 - 4:15 pm

Welcome to the affliction, Tim. Happy hunting!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Nevada
WACA Member
May 26, 2023 - 4:20 pm

1873man said
First models with high condition require extra close inspection because not many survived in that condition. Also post the full serial number. I can see if its surfaced before if not I can add it to the survey.

Bob

TXGunNut said
Welcome to the affliction, Tim. Happy hunting!

Mike

Thank you, Mike!

-Tim

Nevada
WACA Member
May 26, 2023 - 7:08 pm

1873man said

Bob

Okay!  Got about 100 pics.  I’m going to post the best ones lol…but, having trouble posting any of them.  Each says that it’s too large.  Suggestions? 

Forum Posts: 2110
May 26, 2023 - 9:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Wapiti151 said  

Okay!  Got about 100 pics.  Each says that it’s too large.  Suggestions? 

Make them smaller?

I use Fotosizer to batch reduce pictures, it is a free download and a solid tool.

https://www.fotosizer.com/

You can also host the photos on a 3rd party site such as Imgur which allows you to keep the size and then you simply provide a link here.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Nevada
WACA Member
May 26, 2023 - 10:38 pm

1873man said

Bob

Let’s try this.  If this doesn’t work, I will have to try fotosizer.  

Can you all see the images by using the below icloud link?

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0fcEdn3mTkwdmH_vjCd8maS7Q

Nevada
WACA Member
May 26, 2023 - 10:43 pm

I was surprised to see no markings other than 44 cal on the bbl, no proofing stamps, etc.  The bore is in very good shape, but not perfect.  I had a hard time getting a good photo.  Also, on the receiver plate it appears that some of the finish is almost rubbed off, this also makes me suspicious.  The softness of the markings, especially the serial number make me think that it was potentially polished and refinished?  I’ve also read from folks here, and I believe on Bert’s “before you buy an old winchester” thread, that the stock should stand proud of the receiver tang, it does not, the tang is above the wood. 

Those are my VERY uneducated thoughts after getting a better look at it, and studying the photos.  

Forum Posts: 2110
May 26, 2023 - 10:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Yes, I can see them all! Good Job!

Now Bob can weigh-in.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
May 27, 2023 - 1:42 am

Looks refinished, top to bottom. You might want to steer clear of that one if you are looking for an original specimen. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Nevada
WACA Member
May 27, 2023 - 2:16 am

pdog72 said
Looks refinished, top to bottom. You might want to steer clear of that one if you are looking for an original specimen. 

My thoughts as well.  Felt good about it yesterday, but didn’t look at it in crazy detail.  After today I had a funny feeling.  Appears that the scratches in the wood have a lot of finish over top too.  

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
May 27, 2023 - 2:19 am

According to the phone check info its been refinished, It does not state case color so it should be blued. The barrel has a caliber stamp which is wrong for a early 73. The barrel address does not look right. The sights are from a later era. The serial number has been sanded down. When you look at the top of the receiver opening you can see pitting around the edges that were not sanded away showing what condition the gun was in before its restoration.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
May 27, 2023 - 2:19 am

Poor restoration, many mistakes, stay away. T/R

Nevada
WACA Member
May 27, 2023 - 3:21 am

1873man said
According to the phone check info its been refinished, It does not state case color so it should be blued. The barrel has a caliber stamp which is wrong for a early 73. The barrel address does not look right. The sights are from a later era. The serial number has been sanded down. When you look at the top of the receiver opening you can see pitting around the edges that were not sanded away showing what condition the gun was in before its restoration.

Bob

Thanks Bob and all!  I felt the same thing this morning.  If it feels off and too good to be true, it probably is!  This is probably better anyway, now the $ is budgeted in my head for gun money and I can have more fun shopping.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
May 27, 2023 - 12:16 pm

Tim,

Welcome to the forum. You were wise in posting pictures and seeking the advice of the experts here. WACA is a great resource.

Al

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
May 27, 2023 - 2:05 pm

I am really glad you guys piped in.  I saw those pics and the first thing I noticed was the crappy wood.  Almost looks like it came off an Italian reproduction.  From that point on, everything went south.  It’s difficult to tell a guy what’s wrong with a gun, when he is so excited about his find.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
May 27, 2023 - 2:14 pm

Out of curiosity,  what is the asking price on this gun?

Nevada
WACA Member
May 27, 2023 - 5:34 pm

win4575 said
I am really glad you guys piped in.  I saw those pics and the first thing I noticed was the crappy wood.  Almost looks like it came off an Italian reproduction.  From that point on, everything went south.  It’s difficult to tell a guy what’s wrong with a gun, when he is so excited about his find.

I hope it wasn’t difficult, hopefully most people are wanting honest feedback!  Now, if I had purchased and then posted, THAT would have been difficult for me lol but i would never have done that.  So glad i posted, and fully admit that I have a lot to learn to learn when it comes to very old Winchesters.  The great thing about this experience, was all that I learned through the process of researching and reading feedback here.  I was very excited after first seeing, but things felt very off while taking pictures.  Only one way to learn and that’s this process, and things like this forum make me thankful for the internet.  It’s about the only good thing about the internet these days.  

appreciate you all and can’t wait to keep learning and collecting.  

Nevada
WACA Member
May 27, 2023 - 5:36 pm

sb said
Out of curiosity,  what is the asking price on this gun?

$7k plus was asking.  

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6362
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294