Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1949 M70 300 H&H
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 12, 2019 - 5:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

A while back I posted about about a 375 H&H I had acquired that had a 300 H&H shooter thrown in to make me more comfortable on the price.

He got the gun out of storage and sent me pics today.

He described it as a beatup shooter with a good bore.

It is by no means a collector, but I don’t consider it quite a beater.  I am certain it has plenty of stories it can tell. 

It was made in 1949 and comes with a red field 3×9 scope.  

It has the 300 Magnum barrel marking and a transition tang.  It has a heavy stippled front sight ramp.

The one big issue with it is it has an extra hole in the front of the stock.  But for basically being a throw in rifle I can’t truly complain.  I had thought about going the custom route with it but I might just clean it up.IMG_2283.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2281.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2268.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2269.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2278.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2270.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2272.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2279.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2277.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2284.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2274.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2285.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Winchester, VA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 977
July 12, 2019 - 10:00 pm

Hi King-

I’m not seeing the “extra hole” you mention.  The barrel bedding screw and maybe the metal escutcheon are missing, but that hole in the bottom of the fore end should be there.  Which photo shows the hole that bothers you?

The rifle is certainly well worn, but does not look like it was abused.  If it were mine I’d shoot it for accuracy as-is (with and without replacing the bedding screw) and then decide.  The magnum action alone is probably worth what the gun cost you.  The 300 H&H MAGNUM is a dandy little cartridge, somewhere between a 30-06 and one of the “bigger” belted magnums.  Just ask Tom Black:

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-shooting-and-hunting/bear-with-my-super-grade/

Since it’s not a collector gun, the following is gratuitous.  But for information… 

1.  The recoil pad is added.  Whether it’s a repro Winchester pad or not, it isn’t original to the gun.

2.  It is extremely unlikely that the hole in the bridge that secures the Redfield JR mount is factory.  I have looked at quite a few of these and so far have never seen a type II 300 MAGNUM that was factory D&T on the bridge (lots are drilled, but none are believably factory).  In fact, the bridge of these H&H length actions was not routinely D&T until probably somewhere around S/N 160000, well into the type III – oval tang, rifle production.  Rule’s book says this, but it also agrees with my own observations. 

Just my opinion, of course… Smile

Lou

WACA 9519; Studying Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
July 12, 2019 - 11:12 pm

Sorry Luis I am traveling and had trouble remembering if the screw wasn’t visible or if that was an extra hole. 

Yeah he told me the pad was replacement and it was non factory DT.

Should hopefully have it in a week or so, so looking forward to it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
July 13, 2019 - 6:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

For what it is, I very much like what I see. Honest 300 H&H with many of the “prewar-quality” M 70 aspects. No longer “original/collectible”, but conversely if original, ostensibly not “thrown in” too! I can see someone taking this rifle, decent reblue and ‘mild’ stock strip & refinish if plausible. Classic chambering and for field use, scope mounting ability, a plus. Pad looks absolutely professionally installed and correct for what it is. ‘Presents’ nicely; hopefully not hardened. Now if the rifling is just good!!! Check for any missing/unduly worn or broken parts. Likely action “wear” on such quality rifle, just nicely broken in!
All saying…
Looks like a neat rifle!
Just my take

May I add a postscript somewhat after ‘dawn’s early light’. I draw a large distinction between an “evolutionary” altered ‘pre’ Model 70 such as this and the largely “customized” oft considered equivalent. Here, the functionality of a great rifle simply keeping up with times and presumably ergonomics too. The scope something of a natural postwar addition, optics moving from peripheral accouterments to center stage in then “modern” hunting guns. Here Winchester, somewhat delayed in very minor modification affording simple (relative to Stith) scope mounting and setting a standardized mount-securing dimension. The recoil pad (wasn’t that a factory “option” too) accommodating more comfortable recoil control as well as for folks like me, the opportunity to achieve a bit longer length of pull.
While I’ll yet take my era Model 70 rifles “original” please. Sure not to kick such as this evolutionary specimen out of my gun safe. (Joining similar ‘almost’ original guns such as several Remington Model 720 inclusive of such frustrating alterations.)
Another… Just my take.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., dimrod
Guest(s) 191
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323