Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Winchester Value
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 15, 2020 - 1:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Aussie Chris said
The 1892 under discussion here has been described as a ‘deluxe’. I realize this is a collector term only.

It appears to have straight grain walnut to me and not ‘deluxe’ grade walnut. Is it a Fancy Sporting Rifle, ‘Deluxe’ or ‘Semi-deluxe’? Or is it a sporting rifle with a couple of special order features?

Chris

1120_5-1.jpgImage Enlarger1120_2-1.jpgImage Enlarger1120_1-1.jpgImage Enlarger92-2-1.jpgImage Enlarger92-1-2.jpgImage Enlarger  

All excellent points!  I am just beginning to learn some of the finer points on the special order rifles.  I did not notice that there was any checkering on the forearm either.  Was that an option to only have the grip checkered? 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
August 15, 2020 - 2:07 pm

[email protected] said

All excellent points!  I am just beginning to learn some of the finer points on the special order rifles.  I did not notice that there was any checkering on the forearm either.  Was that an option to only have the grip checkered?   

Scooter – the forearm is checkered on this M1892.  It is just difficult to see because of the side-shot only.  Most of the checkering is on the belly of the forearm, hence you can’t see much of it from the side.

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 2:10 pm

[email protected] said

steve004 said

I can see that the .25-20 under discussion is a decent rifle.  I would be very surprised if the winning bidder ends up with any meat left on the bone.

Agreed!  

Scooter – I notice they sure didn’t leave any meat on the bone on that .25-35 you were interested in.  The auction estimate was $1,000 to $1,500 and the winning bidder had to shell out $2,214.  

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 2:11 pm

steve004 said

Scooter – the forearm is checkered on this M1892.  It is just difficult to see because of the side-shot only.  Most of the checkering is on the belly of the forearm, hence you can’t see much of it from the side.  

Sorry, did not see that!  What value would you place on this rifle with the information that is available?

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 2:30 pm

[email protected] said

Sorry, did not see that!  What value would you place on this rifle with the information that is available?  

That’s a good question.  It’s also a difficult question.  It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  At least from the seller’s point of view.  I suspect it will sell for more than most the guys around here would be willing to pay.  It is an auction.  For me, even though it is a decent rifle, it doesn’t have enough going for it to excite me.  First, as has already been discussed it is not a, “deluxe” (i.e. “fancy”) version.  It’s also in .25-20, which while a decent cartridge (I own some), does not have the inspirational stimulus that a .38-40 or .44-40 has.  Having said all that, it would surprise me if the bidding exceeded the auction estimate of $3,000 – $6,000.  In my mind, it is worth closer to low end of the auction range.  But, I’ll bet it goes higher than that.  

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 2:46 pm

steve004 said

That’s a good question.  It’s also a difficult question.  It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  At least from the seller’s point of view.  I suspect it will sell for more than most the guys around here would be willing to pay.  It is an auction.  For me, even though it is a decent rifle, it doesn’t have enough going for it to excite me.  First, as has already been discussed it is not a, “deluxe” (i.e. “fancy”) version.  It’s also in .25-20, which while a decent cartridge (I own some), does not have the inspirational stimulus that a .38-40 or .44-40 has.  Having said all that, it would surprise me if the bidding exceeded the auction estimate of $3,000 – $6,000.  In my mind, it is worth closer to low end of the auction range.  But, I’ll bet it goes higher than that.    

I would be purchasing this rifle for my wife, for the fact that it is the 25-20, and I know she can handle this caliber.  The collectability factor as well.  However, having said that, and further reading your input, which is greatly appreciated, perhaps this is a a rifle that I pass on for the reasons you have stated above. 

Your input and insight is greatly appreciated!

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 3:05 pm

[email protected] said

I would be purchasing this rifle for my wife, for the fact that it is the 25-20, and I know she can handle this caliber.  The collectability factor as well.  However, having said that, and further reading your input, which is greatly appreciated, perhaps this is a a rifle that I pass on for the reasons you have stated above. 

Your input and insight is greatly appreciated!  

Scooter – in your case, as the .25-20 is just what you are looking for, it would make sense you would pursue this rifle.  It’s a simple matter of deciding what your bid limit is – and sticking to it.  If the bidding goes higher than that, the decision is made for you.

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 4:01 pm

steve004 said

Scooter – in your case, as the .25-20 is just what you are looking for, it would make sense you would pursue this rifle.  It’s a simple matter of deciding what your bid limit is – and sticking to it.  If the bidding goes higher than that, the decision is made for you.  

Thank you!  The rifle is nearing my comfort level now for what it is.  Will keep an eye on it!

Again, your input is greatly appreciated!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
August 15, 2020 - 5:08 pm

Aussie Chris said
The 1892 under discussion here has been described as a ‘deluxe’. I realise this is a collector term only.

It appears to have straight grain walnut to me and not ‘deluxe’ grade walnut. Is it a Fancy Sporting Rifle, ‘Deluxe’ or ‘Semi-deluxe’? Or is it a sporting rifle with a couple of special order features?

Chris

1120_5-1.jpgImage Enlarger1120_2-1.jpgImage Enlarger1120_1-1.jpgImage Enlarger92-2-1.jpgImage Enlarger92-1-2.jpgImage Enlarger  

Chris,

Technically, it is a Take Down Sporting Rifle with a special order Pistol Grip stock, and I-pattern checkering.  Within the “collector” community, it is most frequently referred to as a “Semi-deluxe”.  However, and as you mentioned & know, Winchester never cataloged a “Semi-deluxe” in any model (1886, 1892, 1894, etc.). 

Through 1931, Winchester cataloged a “Sporting Rifle” and a “Fancy Sporting Rifle”, and a Take Down variation of both.  In the early 1930s, Winchester made several changes, and renamed the higher grade guns.  The “Fancy Sporting Rifle” was dropped in favor of the “Special” (or in the case of the Model 64, a “Deer Rifle”).  There were a notable number of differences between the older “Fancy” versus the new “Special”.  The first being the grade of the American Black Walnut used for stock material.  The older “Fancy” rifles were stocked with 2X or 3X wood as standard, whereas the new “Special” was stocked with “select” grain wood.  The older screw eye (sling mounts) were discontinued in favor of the new QD (quick-disconnect) style sling mounts, and lastly, the old I and H pattern checkering was replaced with one single (unnamed) checkering pattern.  The new checkering pattern was introduced with the Model 64 Deer Rifle, and was also used on the Model 65 Special, the Model 71 Special, and the Model 43 Special rifles.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
August 15, 2020 - 7:05 pm

[email protected] said

Thank you!  The rifle is nearing my comfort level now for what it is.  Will keep an eye on it!

Again, your input is greatly appreciated!  

Scooter – 

I have the strong feeling you are not going to end up with this rifle.  It’s at $2100 now – which is $900 below the low end of the auction estimate.  If that is nearing what your comfort level can tolerate, I’m pretty sure it’s going to blast through and go well beyond.  That has happened to me many, many times. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
August 15, 2020 - 9:29 pm

Aussie Chris said
The 1892 under discussion here has been described as a ‘deluxe’. I realise this is a collector term only.

Chris

It isn’t fancy so collectors may want to call it a semi deluxe but you can call it a sporting rifle with special order items too. 

Melbourne Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 183
August 15, 2020 - 9:50 pm

Bert H. said

Chris,

Technically, it is a Take Down Sporting Rifle with a special order Pistol Grip stock, and I-pattern checkering.  Within the “collector” community, it is most frequently referred to as a “Semi-deluxe”.  However, and as you mentioned & know, Winchester never cataloged a “Semi-deluxe” in any model (1886, 1892, 1894, etc.). 

Through 1931, Winchester cataloged a “Sporting Rifle” and a “Fancy Sporting Rifle”, and a Take Down variation of both.  In the early 1930s, Winchester made several changes, and renamed the higher grade guns.  The “Fancy Sporting Rifle” was dropped in favor of the “Special” (or in the case of the Model 64, a “Deer Rifle”).  There were a notable number of differences between the older “Fancy” versus the new “Special”.  The first being the grade of the American Black Walnut used for stock material.  The older “Fancy” rifles were stocked with 2X or 3X wood as standard, whereas the new “Special” was stocked with “select” grain wood.  The older screw eye (sling mounts) were discontinued in favor of the new QD (quick-disconnect) style sling mounts, and lastly, the old I and H pattern checkering was replaced with one single (unnamed) checkering pattern.  The new checkering pattern was introduced with the Model 64 Deer Rifle, and was also used on the Model 65 Special, the Model 71 Special, and the Model 43 Special rifles.

Bert  

Chuck said

It isn’t fancy so collectors may want to call it a semi deluxe but you can call it a sporting rifle with special order items too.   

Thank you for clarifying that and explaining it all Bert 🙂

And thank you Chuck

Will be interesting to see how it goes, nearing the end of the auction.

Scooter, you only live once – roll the dice! It’s only money Laugh

Chris

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...

WACA Member
August 16, 2020 - 1:29 am

Bert H. said

Chris,

Bert  

Thank you foe sharing the information here.  I appreciate the knowledge and information on the history of the model 1892. 

WACA Member
August 16, 2020 - 1:31 am

Aussie Chris said

Chuck said

Thank you for clarifying that and explaining it all Bert 🙂

And thank you Chuck

Will be interesting to see how it goes, nearing the end of the auction.

Scooter, you only live once – roll the dice! It’s only money Laugh

Chris  

Chris – Thanks!  I will watch.  May have to take a deep breath before I bid!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
August 16, 2020 - 8:56 pm

Probably 4 to 6 K

WACA Member
August 16, 2020 - 11:07 pm

Sold for $3800 – who got it?

WACA Member
August 16, 2020 - 11:26 pm

steve004 said
Sold for $3800 – who got it?  

Not me!  I had to pass.  I was also bidding on a 1894 Winchester 25-35 Takedown in the same auction.  Had to compromise.  Would love to have had the 1892, but, i have other investments I have to watch as well.  I appreciate everyone’s help on the site!

WACA Member
August 17, 2020 - 12:15 am

[email protected] said

Not me!  I had to pass.  I was also bidding on a 1894 Winchester 25-35 Takedown in the same auction.  Had to compromise.  Would love to have had the 1892, but, i have other investments I have to watch as well.  I appreciate everyone’s help on the site!  

Did you win the .25-35?

WACA Member
August 17, 2020 - 1:10 am

steve004 said

Did you win the .25-35?  

Yes I did!  Happy compromise!

Happy with the 1894 for now…..

20CN-272 WINCHESTER 94

Forum Timezone: UTC 0