Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Spruce Gun??
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 20, 2018 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The ordinance markings don’t look right to me–flaming bomb looks incorrect, supposed to be no periods between the “U” and “S” right?

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/forsale/1894%20784029%20Slideshow.pdf

Don

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
February 20, 2018 - 11:06 pm

These are the markings on my Spruce Gun, for comparison:

IMG_8238.JPGImage Enlarger

Steve

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
February 20, 2018 - 11:10 pm

supergimp said
These are the markings on my Spruce Gun, for comparison:

IMG_8238.JPGImage Enlarger

Steve  

The markings on your carbine look absolutely correct.  Quite different than the carbine in the link I posted.

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
February 21, 2018 - 1:00 am

deerhunter said
The ordinance markings don’t look right to me–flaming bomb looks incorrect, supposed to be no periods between the “U” and “S” right?

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/forsale/1894%20784029%20Slideshow.pdf

Don  

Correct, and it is one of (18) known faked Spruce Guns.  In addition to the incorrect ordnance markings, the serial number is well outside of the accepted/correct range.  The PR date for that Model 1894 SRC was 6/22/1915.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Los Angeles
WACA Member
February 21, 2018 - 1:23 am

So it begs the question, since I joined WACA (one of the best investments I have made in my small collection) I have basically come to the conclusion that Madis (who “validated” this particular firearm) was either confused, fraudulent or downright delusional. Is this the case? Or is it simply a case of we have learned so much since Madis published The Winchester Handbook that we should discount him as an expert?

I don’t mean to disrespect anyone here, but I ask an honest question.

Steve

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2018 - 2:09 am

Steve,

Confused… maybe. Fraudulent or delusional… very doubtful. Yes, we have learned a tremendous amount in the past 30 or so years (after George Madis published the last edition of his books). I do not believe that he should be discounted as an expert, but a fair amount of the statistical information he published for many models should be.

Bert

South Tx
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 105
February 21, 2018 - 2:12 am

How many known real ones? And what is the correct serial number block.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
February 21, 2018 - 2:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Steve,
Confused… maybe. Fraudulent or delusional… very doubtful. Yes, we have learned a tremendous amount in the past 30 or so years (after George Madis published the last edition of his books). I do not believe that he should be discounted as an expert, but a fair amount of the statistical information he published for many models should be.
Bert  

I suppose you have to take in all the info you can and weigh it case by case. That said, this forum has saved me from a lot of poor decisions more than Madis did before I joined. 

Of course, now I’m terrified to purchase anything…haha.

patrick tompkins said
How many known real ones? And what is the correct serial number block.  

Patrick,

There is an excellent article in the Summer 2005 issue of The Winchester Collector. 

Interestingly enough, Bert, that article lists SN 621776 (noted as maybe 821776 – I assume due to wear obfuscating the SN) as the earliest, but 784029 (the gun in question in this thread) is the second on the list. More evidence that we learn more information comes to light. 

There are 115 on that list. 114 if you discount this one.  Mine is 846719 and not on that list…so back to 115.

But I’m sure Bert has a better idea.

Steve

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2018 - 5:18 am

Currently, there are (210) verified Spruce Guns, (5) that are suspect/unknown, and (18) that are fakes. With very few exceptions, the Spruce Guns are found in the 834000 – 855000 serial number range.

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 55
February 21, 2018 - 1:25 pm

For us neophytes out here – can someone give us a short briefing on the U.S. “bomb-marked” Spruce Guns?  

Thanks

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 21, 2018 - 4:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

War Eagle said
For us neophytes out here – can someone give us a short briefing on the U.S. “bomb-marked” Spruce Guns?  

Thanks  

Have you read the article that Rick Hill wrote about the Spruce Guns?

I simply do not have the time to write a “briefing” on this topic, and it would be easier for me to answer a specific question(s).

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 55
February 21, 2018 - 8:35 pm

I have not but I will

Thanks

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 22, 2018 - 1:29 am

Be careful in the archives, War Eagle. I can get lost for hours in there, maybe days. Wink

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2341
February 22, 2018 - 4:28 pm

That little Ord. bomb has to be one of the most faked stamps of all time. You find them faked on the Spruce Guns, the M1903 22 Auto, the M1897 Trenchguns, the M1885’s, and most often the M97 Riot and Trenchguns from WW2. Generally, a good eye can spot the fakes as they are never like the originals. I collected US Militaria for years and have seen my share of these and cartouches in general. Probably be sorry some day, but I sold my Spruce gun when I sold off my US collection. The one I really regret selling was my martially marked M1903.  Big Larry

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 22, 2018 - 4:56 pm

The ordnance bomb type is one of the easier identifiers for determining if a specific gun is original or faked.  Of interest, after examining dozens of Spruce Guns made in 1917, and hundreds of the Winder Muskets made in 1918 & 1919, I discovered that they all have identical martial markings (the “U S” and the flaming bomb).  I am relatively certain that the government acceptance inspector was the same person during those years.

Often times, the person who attempts to fake the ordnance markings uses an incorrect style bomb (as was the case on the Model 1894 that Don asked about), using a more common WW II style marking versus the type used during WW I .  Another mistake is the use of periods after the letters “U” and “S”.  For the WW I era government purchased and inspected firearms, the martial markings were individually hand stamped, and never with a “period” dot after the letter.  The WW II martial markings typically did have the “period” after the “U” and “S”, but they were machine stamped.

Bert

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2341
February 22, 2018 - 8:28 pm

Bert H. said
The ordnance bomb type is one of the easier identifiers for determining if a specific gun is original or faked.  Of interest, after examining dozens of Spruce Guns made in 1917, and hundreds of the Winder Muskets made in 1918 & 1919, I discovered that they all have identical martial markings (the “U S” and the flaming bomb).  I am relatively certain that the government acceptance inspector was the same person during those years.

Often times, the person who attempts to fake the ordnance markings uses an incorrect style bomb (as was the case on the Model 1894 that Don asked about), using a more common WW II style marking versus the type used during WW I .  Another mistake is the use of periods after the letters “U” and “S”.  For the WW I era government purchased and inspected firearms, the martial markings were individually hand stamped, and never with a “period” dot after the letter.  The WW II martial markings typically did have the “period” after the “U” and “S”, but they were machine stamped.

Bert  

The markings are the same on the M1897 WW1 Trenchgun. Many were unmarked so the fakers made up fake dies and stamped them ruining a nice M1897 Trenchgun. I don’t have it any longer, but I believe the stamps are the same for the Martially marked M1903 as well as the super rare US M1890. The stamp on the M10 Remington is completely different. Another thing, the US was handstamped as Bert said and the letters are never on line. Big Larry

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 478
March 4, 2018 - 6:29 pm

Big Larry:

I have a genuine Model 1903 with martial markings if you think you may be interested, I’ll send you some pictures.

Rick

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, renegade, 1873man, TXGunNut, Jeremy P
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6363
TXGunNut: 5032