Avatar
Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 First Model Receiver
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Avatar
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 197
Member Since:
January 28, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
May 18, 2022 - 6:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It is my understanding that first model 1894 receivers were produced to somewhere around serial 5000.  I am looking at a 1894 src with serial 2114 that has a second model receiver.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Avatar
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10589
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
May 19, 2022 - 2:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Mark,

The First Model 1894 receivers are found as late as serial number 7471, but they are very uncommon after serial number 5220. Second Model receivers are found as early as serial number 510, but are very uncommon until serial number 828. Fron serial number 828 through 5220 it is nearly an even (50/50) mix of First and Second Model receivers

You did not mention what caliber the SRC with S/N 2114 is ? Based on my research survey, 98.8% of all First Model 1894s are 38-55 caliber, with the remaining 1.2% being 30 WCF. No First Models have ever been found in 32-40 or 25-35 WCF.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 197
Member Since:
January 28, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
May 19, 2022 - 5:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Mark,

The First Model 1894 receivers are found as late as serial number 7471, but they are very uncommon after serial number 5220. Second Model receivers are found as early as serial number 510, but are very uncommon until serial number 828. Fron serial number 828 through 5220 it is nearly an even (50/50) mix of First and Second Model receivers

You did not mention what caliber the SRC with S/N 2114 is ? Based on my research survey, 98.8% of all First Model 1894s are 38-55 caliber, with the remaining 1.2% being 30 WCF. No First Models have ever been found in 32-40 or 25-35 WCF.

Bert

  

Bert,

The SRC is in 38-55.  Interesting that there are no known 32-40 first models as this was one of the first calibers in the 1894 and it came before the 30wcf?  If the 32-40 came out in 1894, presumably when the only receivers there were were first models, it sure seems that there must be some first models in 32-40.  Perhaps the first and second model receivers were actually produced simultaneously from the git go?  I understand the mixing of parts but being significantly different (the first and second models) it sure seems odd the spread in serial range the 2 were mixed.  Things were so much simpler back in the day because, well, who really cared!! Lol.  Thanks for the input,

Mark

Avatar
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10589
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
May 20, 2022 - 12:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

While it has been previously published by some authors, it is not true that the 32-40 was introduced at the same time as the 38-55 in the Model 1894… it actually was several months later.

Keep in mind that the Model 1894 S/N 1 was manufactured in late September 1894, and that the first Model 1894 in 32-40 was S/N 692 (December 14, 1894). The cartridge guides and carrier for the 32-40 are physically different than the 38-55, and that is undoubtedly what influenced Winchester to create the Second Model receiver frame.  The First and Second Model receivers were not initially produced simultaneously.  The first verified Second Model receiver frame was S/N 510 (a Take Down rifle in 38-55).

Based on the ARMAX survey the original (5) calibers were introduced as follows;

38-55 – September 1894

32-40 – December 1894

30 WCF – May 1895

25-35 WCF – July 1895

32 WS – October 1901

Thus far, I have documented (verified) a total of (503) Model 1894s in the serial number range 1 – 7999.  Of that number, (250) or almost half of them are First Models.  I am still actively searching for all Model 1894s in that serial number range.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4853
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
5
May 20, 2022 - 3:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This is what fascinates me about Winchester and the early 1894’s! If I understand the process correctly one (or more) area(s) of the factory produced Type 1 receivers while another area began producing the Type 2 receiver. Both types were in the polishing room at the same time where the serial number was applied. Then I can only assume they went to different areas to be assembled as the parts and processes involved were apparently quite different. I know the factory was quite a bit larger than I imagine but the logistics of this process boggle my feeble mind.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10589
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
May 21, 2022 - 3:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Mike,

It is highly unlikely that Winchester manufactured the two receiver types in different areas, and then assembled them in different areas. My bet is that the individual work benches in the assembly room had all of the parts on hand to assemble either a First or a Second variation receiver, and it was the assembly person who determined which parts were needed.

Bret

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6133
TXGunNut: 4852
Chuck: 4509
1873man: 4255
steve004: 4091
Big Larry: 2288
twobit: 2280
TR: 1686
mrcvs: 1652
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 17
Topics: 12474
Posts: 108279

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1725
Members: 8699
Moderators: 4
Admins: 3
Navigation