Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 5, 2020 - 2:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

On the Guns America site there is for sale a Mod.1894  ser#8988. The factory letter they show with the gun says it is casehardened along with other features however the picture shown appears to be a blued receiver, not casehardened, otherwise the gun looks correct. Any comments or is anyone familiar with this piece, as I may be interested if it’s legit.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
January 5, 2020 - 4:31 pm

Harry,

Post a link to it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
January 5, 2020 - 4:37 pm

I found it on Guns International. Here’s the link:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/winchester-model-1894-checkered-xxx-wood-38-55-takedown-vintage-firearms-inc.cfm?gun_id=101350129

Looks to me that the receiver is blued.  Maybe redone a long time ago??

ARMAX Survey lists SN 8988 as one of the casehardened model 1894 rifles.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
January 5, 2020 - 5:54 pm

The seller is right, it’s blue not case. Time to look at the ledger page, but at that price why bother. T/R

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 5, 2020 - 6:51 pm

TR said
 The seller is right, it’s blue not case. Time to look at the ledger page, but at that price why bother. T/R  

Agreed. it may be a ledger (or letter) mistake. Unless there’s a half price sale, I’m not interested.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
January 5, 2020 - 6:58 pm

Wood appears to be from another gun.  Assembly numbers are usually on the left side of the bottom tang.  Run away fast.

WACA Member
January 5, 2020 - 7:26 pm

Assembly numbers are on the left side, but I see wood removed in the upper tang channel, elongation on the tang screw hole, and poor fit on the bottom front of the stock. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 508
January 5, 2020 - 7:52 pm

The forend cap screw is coming in from the wrong side.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 5, 2020 - 7:59 pm

Tedk said
The forend cap screw is coming in from the wrong side.  

Not sure how that’s possible as both sides have a screw.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
January 5, 2020 - 8:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The stock # matches the tang #. I believe the tangs are slightly bent leading to the gap on the bottom of the receiver. There is also a bit of space between the end of the bottom tang and the wood. The elongation of the top of the tang screw hole would of been from an excessive amount of pressure from the stock screw as a lot of downward pressure was applied to the rifle. Make sense?? This would also explain the sliver of wood missing on the top left of the butt stock where the wood meets the receiver and the fracture of the wood on the right side in the same place.

I don’t think the rear sight or tang screw are original either. The finish on the rear sight isn’t even close to the rest of the rifle.  If one looks at the stock inletting for the upper tang, you can see where the front screw from a tang sight has left an impression.

Erin

WACA Member
January 5, 2020 - 8:52 pm

Erin, Yes downward pressure could. Assembly numbers on wood are easily changed, not saying these are. In my mind what’s wrong is the price reguardless of the letter. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
January 5, 2020 - 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the comments, like was suggested I think I’ll just leave this one alone, however I do like casehardened ’94’s I have 2 and would like some more in different configurations.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 6, 2020 - 12:30 am

It’s a nice looking rifle. The tang could be tweaked back to it’s original position making the wood fit better. 

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
January 6, 2020 - 6:18 pm

TR said
 Assembly numbers are on the left side, but I see wood removed in the upper tang channel, elongation on the tang screw hole, and poor fit on the bottom front of the stock. T/R  

I looked at the post again and the pictures confirm the assembly number location on the tang.  I posted based upon the written description. The forend wood is too short as well.  Too many excuses for this gun, especially for the price.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
January 6, 2020 - 11:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Maybe its just me but it appears the wood on the forearm (receiver & forearm cap) and at the buttplate are a bit rounded and not squared off. However, the top of the forearm at opposite the barrel appear sharp.  The checking lines to the interior of the border looks to be a lighter color–maybe cleaned??  Been trying to figure out the “RB” stamp on the lower tang, its usually “CF” on earlier examples.  Havent seen that marking before but its interesting. Neat rifle, would definitely order a new letter just to make sure it was case hardened and there was/wasnt an R/R  Looks pretty used except for the left forearm screw and rear sight. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 7, 2020 - 1:44 am

Chris

I’ve seen the RB before, and if I recall it was on shotgun butt deluxe’s w/ a rubber buttplate. Not sure if that’s what it’s referencing but I couldn’t come up with anything else.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
January 7, 2020 - 1:49 am

Good call Gary, hadnt crossed my mind.  Ive got some data on early ones with rubber buttplates but they were not so marked, usually with a “C”, “S” or “R” in addition to the “CF”. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
January 7, 2020 - 2:20 am

Yes, the RB is for Rubber Butt. I have one marked like that.

Bob

IMG_3605.JPGImage Enlargerlf3.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 7, 2020 - 2:44 pm

I have a 95 on GB with 2X wood. It has the ‘R’ stamp also along with the other numbers on the lower tang. Sadly, most of the checkering was sanded off long ago. 

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, win4575, pdog72, mrcvs, clarence, Nevada Paul, Chris Scott, Mike MV
Guest(s) 79
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2343
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726