Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Border Rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 18, 2022 - 1:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here’s a couple 20″ 1894’s I have. Too late for Pancho and the gang ……… and not nearly as pretty as Dons rifle Frown

Mod 1894, 20″ 1/2 OB, Full Mag   30 WCF   820250   1915
Mod 1894, 20″ OB, Full Mag         30 WCF   849277   1917

DSCN0005-2.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 1:59 am

They look pretty damn nice to me!!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 18, 2022 - 2:00 am

Chuck said
Personally, if I had to pick between a short rifle and a carbine I’d pick the short rifle.  I like the looks of a short rifle better than a carbine.   I like octagon barrels and rifle butts.  

I agree 100%.  And just to give some folks a little heart burn, I put a saddle ring on mine (Uberti).  Because I like the way they look.  I actually like a long rifle but I had a border rifle made up for riding.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
January 18, 2022 - 2:03 am

Huck Riley said

I agree 100%.  And just to give some folks a little heart burn, I put a saddle ring on mine (Uberti).  Because I like the way they look.  I actually like a long rifle but I had a border rifle made up for riding.  

Each to his own.  I’d take a carbine over a short rifle – particularly as an active carrying piece.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
January 18, 2022 - 3:20 am

pdog72 said
Here’s a couple 20″ 1894’s I have. Too late for Pancho and the gang ……… and not nearly as pretty as Dons rifle Frown

Mod 1894, 20″ 1/2 OB, Full Mag   30 WCF   820250   1915
Mod 1894, 20″ OB, Full Mag         30 WCF   849277   1917

DSCN0005-2.JPGImage Enlarger  

Very nice Gary.  Love the half-octagon barrel on that short rifle!

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 56
January 18, 2022 - 3:25 am

Hi.  We are talking my kind of rifle.  There is no doubt that a solid short rifle can be shot more accurately the a carbine and serious USERS would have picked the rifle over carbine.     Carrying a carbine was like a pocket knife, do in a pinch.   I think the term  ‘Border Rifle’ was more an excuse for its condition.  A Border rifle looked like it had spent most of its life being used hard and often, and probably still would do its job.   It would be more value to me then a similar rifle that spent most of its life wrapped up in Aunt Daisy’s underwear draw.  If I wanted a mint rifle I would buy a Uberti.  Most of the early Winchesters In Australia are Border  minus condition, with more abuse then use. A perfect 100+ year old rifle dosn’t have much history.      Eric

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 3:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

steve004 said

Each to his own.  I’d take a carbine over a short rifle – particularly as an active carrying piece.  

Hmm, if I were to order one, I think it would look like this:

Mod 94, 20″ OB, FM, TD Deluxe, Sling, & Saddle Ring 30 WCF 929867 1921

DSCN0009.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0010-1.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0011.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0012.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0013.jpgImage Enlarger

DSCN0014-2-1.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0015-11.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
January 18, 2022 - 3:54 am

Eric Ryan said
 There is no doubt that a solid short rifle can be shot more accurately the a carbine and serious USERS would have picked the rifle over carbine.   

Why would that be?  Sight radius is about the same, & the rear sight on a carbine provides easy to see & adjust calibrations, as opposed to counting the steps on the elevator of a standard sporting rear sight.

But I agree with you about “perfect” guns lacking history. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 528
January 18, 2022 - 4:05 am

Eric Ryan said
 Hi.  We are talking my kind of rifle.  There is no doubt that a solid short rifle can be shot more accurately the a carbine and serious USERS would have picked the rifle over carbine.     Carrying a carbine was like a pocket knife, do in a pinch.   I think the term  ‘Border Rifle’ was more an excuse for its condition.  A Border rifle looked like it had spent most of its life being used hard and often, and probably still would do its job.   It would be more value to me then a similar rifle that spent most of its life wrapped up in Aunt Daisy’s underwear draw.  If I wanted a mint rifle I would buy a Uberti.  Most of the early Winchesters In Australia are Border  minus condition, with more abuse then use. A perfect 100+ year old rifle dosn’t have much history.      Eric  

Here are a few examples of 100+ year old Winchester’s – they all have individual history and I wish they could talk to tell us about it. Part of the history which they share is that they were well cared for by their previous owners. Nothing wrong with that!

66stk-2.JPGImage Enlarger73tang-3.jpgImage Enlarger76delrec.JPGImage Enlarger864590-1.JPGImage Enlarger94del3.JPGImage Enlarger92d2-1.JPGImage Enlarger94casegate.jpgImage Enlarger95deluxestock-1.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 2:51 pm

pdog72 said

steve004 said

DSCN0009.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0010-1.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0011.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0012.jpgImage EnlargerDSCN0013.jpgImage Enlarger

Tell me about the saddle ring.  I’ve never seen that done before.  What material?  Who did it, etc.  Thanks.  Sweet looking gun!  Love the dark.

WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 2:56 pm

clarence said

Eric Ryan said
 There is no doubt that a solid short rifle can be shot more accurately the a carbine and serious USERS would have picked the rifle over carbine.   

Why would that be?  

In my personal opinion/experience, I do better with a heavier barrel.  There is a compromise between too much and too little weight.  I shot much better with the M-16 A-2 than with the A-1.  Some might argue that has more to do with the stiffness of the barrel with a fast light round, but for me it was about the weight and I find that true with my lever guns with big, slow rounds.  

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
January 18, 2022 - 3:59 pm

pdog72 said

steve004 said

Wow.  What a spectacular rifle. Never seen a sling ring on a “deluxe” rifle before.  It looks like its aligned perfectly–suppose it’s  factory? I love the oddity and unusualness.  

Don

NY
WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 4:30 pm

Huck Riley said

Tell me about the saddle ring.  I’ve never seen that done before.  What material? 

A common way to stop the clanking.  Have seen leather lacing & light cord used, but this material resembles neither.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 4:46 pm

Huck Riley said

Tell me about the saddle ring.  I’ve never seen that done before.  What material?  Who did it, etc.  Thanks.  Sweet looking gun!    Love the dark.  

It’s leather string and was tightly wrapped around the ring very long ago. It’s worn flat in the areas it slaps against the receiver. And yes, I very much like the look of it too. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 4:55 pm

deerhunter said

Wow.  What a spectacular rifle. Never seen a sling ring on a “deluxe” rifle before.  It looks like its aligned perfectly–suppose it’s  factory? I love the oddity and unusualness.  

Don  

I have no doubt this rifle is correct in all respects. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase it from a seasoned collector and fellow member last year. Currently my holy grail 1894 shortie ( until the next one comes along ) ?. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

NY
WACA Member
January 18, 2022 - 6:01 pm

pdog72 said
It’s leather string and was tightly wrapped around the ring very long ago.

That’s finer even than the leather lacing used for decorative stitching on belts & other leather work.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4160
January 18, 2022 - 6:08 pm

Eric Ryan said

I will admit to having never met the qualifications of a, “serious user.”  And if I did have the chance to test a carbine vs. a short rifle under serious use, I could see there is the potential to change my opinion.  My own history of use with a centerfire rifle (other than range trips) is deep woods deer hunting. Quick handling is important.  I would definitely choose a short rifle over a full length (e.g. 26 inch) barreled rifle.  But as stated, I would chose the carbine over a short rifle.  However not all short rifles are made the same.  A rifle with a 20 inch lightweight round or half-octagon barrel with a short magazine  would get very high marks from me.  

If I’m going to spend the entire day picking my way through brush, around and through windfalls, up and down hills and so on – and if for every second of that day, the rifle is in my hand, ease and quickness of handling is huge.  Even up in a deer stand built into a tree where maneuvering is very tight, a lightweight and portable firearm is desirable.  I realize people who hunt from horses, hunt in large open spaces and so on, have a very different scenario.  Some people hunt from pickups with binoculars and don’t actually get out of the truck until they spot something.  Very different from my hunting experiences.  

WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 6:42 pm

steve004 said

I realize people who hunt from horses, hunt in large open spaces and so on, have a very different scenario.  

That’s why I have my short rifle.  A horse can handle a long rifle, but short is better for just generally staying out of the way.  Some go butt-back, some forward (I like butt-forward on the off side).  I don’t rope with a gun, either.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 18, 2022 - 9:33 pm

steve004 said

I will admit to having never met the qualifications of a, “serious user.”  And if I did have the chance to test a carbine vs. a short rifle under serious use, I could see there is the potential to change my opinion.  My own history of use with a centerfire rifle (other than range trips) is deep woods deer hunting. Quick handling is important.  I would definitely choose a short rifle over a full length (e.g. 26 inch) barreled rifle.  But as stated, I would chose the carbine over a short rifle.  However not all short rifles are made the same.  A rifle with a 20 inch lightweight round or half-octagon barrel with a short magazine  would get very high marks from me.  

If I’m going to spend the entire day picking my way through brush, around and through windfalls, up and down hills and so on – and if for every second of that day, the rifle is in my hand, ease and quickness of handling is huge.  Even up in a deer stand built into a tree where maneuvering is very tight, a lightweight and portable firearm is desirable.  I realize people who hunt from horses, hunt in large open spaces and so on, have a very different scenario.  Some people hunt from pickups with binoculars and don’t actually get out of the truck until they spot something.  Very different from my hunting experiences.    

I’ll second that Steve. I find the short rifles very cool if that’s the term I can use but for the type of hunting up here in Maine and New Brunswick the 20 inch 94 carbine button mag is my favourite gun. I certainly wouldn’t pass up a rifle with a 20 inch lightweight round or half-octagon barrel with a short magazine ad you’ve described.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 528
January 18, 2022 - 9:48 pm

steve004 said

steve004 said
  Some people hunt from pickups with binoculars and don’t actually get out of the truck until they spot something.  Very different from my hunting experiences.    

Steve – that’s how I got this jackalope in western South Dakota – drove around in the pickup until I spotted him. In SD you can’t shoot from a vehicle so I had to get out to take him. I believe P-dog said he was able to take one once also – somewhere in Wyoming.

sheep.JPGImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160