Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Maxim threads?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 202
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 1, 2014 - 3:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

So what you’re saying is that the barrel had regular threads and the adapter had the interrupted threads? So that means that this type thread could have been cut with a Maxim silencer in mind. I know it wasn’t done at birth in 1900 but I will say it’s been this way a while.

"road king"
WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 5:03 pm

mikec said
So what you’re saying is that the barrel had regular threads and the adapter had the interrupted threads? So that means that this type thread could have been cut with a Maxim silencer in mind. I know it wasn’t done at birth in 1900 but I will say it’s been this way a while.

Yes I believe you are correct. I assume if the barrel has interrupted threads cut in it than it could have been factory.

Here is Teddy’s Little 30
http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Teddys%20Little%2030/Roosevelt_Winchester_1894_21_zps9c667663.jpg.html

Roosevelt_Winchester_1894_21_zps9c667663.jpgImage Enlarger

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Teddys%20Little%2030/Suppressor_zps775e08b0.jpg.html

Suppressor_zps775e08b0.jpgImage Enlarger

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Teddys%20Little%2030/Roosevelt_Winchester_1894_31_zps00c0da7f.jpg.html

Roosevelt_Winchester_1894_31_zps00c0da7f.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 5:18 pm

"Road King" said
From what I have seen the Maxim Silencer came in 3 pieces. There was the main body silencer, a special adapter that had the interrupted tread (male portion)and also had the female portion that treaded to the barrel and there was the knurled cap the could be put on the barrel when not using the silencer. The main body of the silencer has the part that fitted to the barrel offset so that it didn’t interfere with the sights on the rifle and with the interrupted threads it allowed the silencer to locate at the same position each time it was put on the gun’s barrel.

From this post it looks like the GUN would have normal threads and the adapter would have the interrupted threads?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1578
May 1, 2014 - 6:08 pm

mikec

How about you call up Jim Supica and Phil Schreier at the NRA museum where Teddy’s 94 is being held and ask them to take off the silencer and see if they’ll send us a picture while they’re at it?

Also wouldn’t both male and female parts would have to be interrupted, otherwise whats the point?

Maverick

"road king"
WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 6:22 pm

I have seen an adapter and the part the screws on the barrel does not have interrupted threads only the male end for the silencer. I’m trying to find the pictures of it.

WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 6:27 pm

maverick said
mikec

How about you call up Jim Supica and Phil Schreier at the NRA museum where Teddy’s 94 is being held and ask them to take off the silencer and see if they’ll send us a picture while they’re at it?

Also both male and female parts would have to be interrupted, otherwise whats the point?

Maverick

I’m sorry, did I miss something or was I being a smart@% or something? Pretty sure I was asking a question about Road Kings post. I’m still trying to learn from this thread and would gladly call Jim or Phil if I had their number.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
May 1, 2014 - 6:53 pm

Rifles with the muzzle threaded did not use a coupling, only the silencer was needed. Rifles that did not have the muzzle threaded used a coupling that was driven onto the barrel. The forward part of the coupling had interrupted threads that allowed the silencer’s threads to slide by those on the coupling, and then secured with a simple twist of the wrist.

James

WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 6:55 pm

Awesome post Road King! If you look at the top of the third page you’ll see the recommendations for threading the barrel and the instructions. Thats what I was looking for. While I know this says nothing about factory work, I just really wanted to know how the design would be. Thanks man.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1578
May 1, 2014 - 7:00 pm

mikec said
I’m sorry, did I miss something or was I being a smart@% or something? Pretty sure I was asking a question about Road Kings post. I’m still trying to learn from this thread and would gladly call Jim or Phil if I had their number.

Sorry mikec my bad attempt at humor. Wasn’t trying to be a smartass or try to make you seem like one. I admit of been trying to be a little cute as my mother would of put it. Just mainly thought the idea of actually seeing the real thing disassembled would better help explain the thread situation. But would add that RoadKing’s added photos do the same job just as well.

Sincerely,
Maverick

WACA Guest
May 1, 2014 - 7:05 pm

mikec said

Sorry mikec my bad attempt at humor. Wasn’t trying to be a smartass or try to make you seem like one. I met of been trying to be a little cute as my mother would of put it. Just mainly thought the idea of actually seeing the real thing disassembled would better help explain the thread situation. But would add that RoadKing’s added photos do the same job just as well.

Sincerely,
Maverick

No Harm done whatsoever. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t do something. I agree that Road Kings post is spot on for info. Next best thing to TR’s gun I would say. Thanks.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
May 1, 2014 - 9:26 pm

All of the factory equipped Winchesters I have seen this far have the coupler that is driven on to the barrel. I have seen Model 1885, Model 1890, and Model 1903 rifles with the coupler on the end of the barrel.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: gobblerforge, clarence, Randycrockett
Guest(s) 116
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018