Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 barrel ring under front sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
NSW , Australia
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 15, 2020 - 3:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Arthur Pirkle in his Volume 2 ; model 1886 & 1892 book p158 & p160 refers to barrels sometimes developing a ring under the front sight . 

Have owners of 1892’s observed this as well ? 

What would be the likely cause ?  Sweating the front sight on ? 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
August 16, 2020 - 2:52 pm

I have the vague memory of reading about that in Art’s book.  I checked it again this morning.  He doesn’t specify if this occurred with barrels that had a dovetail cut for the front sight, or those barrels equipped with a non-dovetailed sight.  

I do recall hearing of examples where some snow would get in the end of a bore and if fired, a ring would develop about where you describe.

NSW , Australia
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
August 17, 2020 - 1:54 pm

Thanks Steve004 . 

That would make sense . An obstruction as the cause . You’d expect this observation ( ring under the front sight )  then to be more  geographical to a degree  ( environments that experience snow ) .  Obviously over time , some of those rifles may have been into climates without  snow yet still bare the ring from being fired when once obstructed by snow .

Arthur Pirkle ( if I’m correct ) only references this in his comments towards 1892 barrels & not other models ; by way of explanation why some barrels may have been shortened in the hope  to correct a loss of accuracy . 

Seems peculiar if limited to 1892 barrels . 

Your right Steve004 ; dovetailed or sweated the front sight on – you’d expect to see a correlation between the ring developing under the front sight & the method used to install the front sight if that was the cause . ( ie manufacturing ) 

I get it , that other types of obstructions could have similar results .

Which lead to a  brief thought , regards possible unreliable or handloaded ammunition back then  ( maybe regards black powder & it’s storage  ?) .   A projectile not exiting the barrel & a subsequent shot being fired being the cause of the ring . 

However , as 32-20 & 44-40 were common to other rifles ; you’d expect to observe the same incidences in other rifles of the time as well . 

Thanks for your thoughts Steve004 Smile

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, tim tomlinson, Antonio, freebird1968
Guest(s) 94
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323