Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 Engraved Deluxe
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 6, 2014 - 4:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Is anyone else watching this rifle? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403454890

I don’t know much about engraved rifles as they are usually out of my budget constraints. This one says factory engraved, but it looks a little sloppy to me. Much too late for a letter, so cant verify it. It doesn’t look right compared to catalog examples. Serial number looks very lightly stamped, or possibly buffed and refinished. Should the caliber stamp have the decimal before the 44?

Nice looking rifle, but a lot of money to spend on something that you cant letter.

Just curious if anyone else has thoughts.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
April 6, 2014 - 4:46 pm

With a late serial number like 832,173 (which I believe the PRR will put this gun at a 1916 DOM), there should be WP proof marks on the receiver and barrel, looks like there are neither. If so, the gun was redone. CC doesn’t look right either on lever, hammer and buttstock. Not sure about the wood. Just my 2 cents from what I see, but I’m no expert. I’m sure we will see what others think.

Matt

Edit: I think I can barely see a proof mark on the barrel in photo # 18.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
April 6, 2014 - 6:34 pm

Yes, I see a hint of a proof mark on the barrel and nothing on the receiver. Seems a little late for case colored lever, hammer, and plate too. There are quite a few questionable items on this rifle, but several people thought it was a rare bird since it went for $18k 😯 . I didn’t even think it would go that high if it was 100% correct.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 6, 2014 - 9:29 pm

When the buyer eventually finds out that rifle is completely bogus, it would be real interesting to be a fly on the wall. That is going to be one truly expensive lesson ❗

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 7, 2014 - 6:00 am

Gun looks totally redone with cold blue but the pictures are poor. The wood has been refinished as well. I can see wood filler in front of the forearm to fill the gap. The engraving was done by a amateur.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
April 7, 2014 - 6:29 am

Someone is in for a rude awakening.

Matt

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 7, 2014 - 7:14 am

This is either sad, or the bidders involved know what they are getting, or?????

James

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 7, 2014 - 7:26 am

Ignorance is bliss?? WOW! That is crazy expensive for a rifle that screams not correct. The lever and hammer should not be CC at this time period. The engraving is certainly not original. It would take just a little bit of effort to compare with known examples to see the problems. And, this is the [color=red:74ab4b4793]HUGE RED WARNING FLAG[/color:74ab4b4793]: Inspection Period / Return Policy AS IS – No refund or exchange

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 7, 2014 - 8:55 am

I know collectors who will not take advise from others and always get taken to the cleaners. They believe they know more than you and taking your advise is a insult.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
April 7, 2014 - 4:51 pm

The whole thing screams bogus! However, what about the front sight? Has anyone ever seen a front sight like this one on a Winchester? I am just curious if anything like it ever existed on anything other than a fake?

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
April 7, 2014 - 4:53 pm

mrcvs said
The whole thing screams bogus! However, what about the front sight? Has anyone ever seen a front sight like this one on a Winchester? I am just curious if anything like it ever existed on anything other than a fake?

I have not personally seen a goldwashed like that on a gun, by I have not seen near as many up here as many of you folks. That said, that was the first thing that jumped out at me when I started looking at the photos. Maybe it is correct, but it just didn’t look "right".

Matt

"road king"
WACA Guest
April 7, 2014 - 6:08 pm

Seen lots of these front sights….

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Beech_Combination_Front_Sight_it-163927.aspx?MANF=1068

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2185

The engraving was done with an electric engraver, the type used for putting ID on metal objects. I would call it $19.95 type engraving (cost of an engraver) Laugh

Wisconsin
WACA Member
April 7, 2014 - 9:06 pm

That is one of those repo beech sights I have seen before.

When I first looked at the engraving I did think it looked like it was done with a vibropeen pen but figured it couldn’t be done but the more I look at it, I think it is.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
April 8, 2014 - 3:54 am

"Road King" said
The engraving was done with an electric engraver, the type used for putting ID on metal objects. I would call it $19.95 type engraving (cost of an engraver) Laugh

So $19.95 "engraving" = $18,025 gun? 😯

I’m in the wrong business, lol.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
April 8, 2014 - 4:37 am

"Road King" said
Seen lots of these front sights….

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Beech_Combination_Front_Sight_it-163927.aspx?MANF=1068

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2185

So, you have seen lots of these sights before? Maybe, but I think they are all new/reproduction ones. Even on the most high-end Winchesters, I have never seen one like that one before.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
April 8, 2014 - 4:46 am

That’s what I was getting at in my earlier post. Seen these sights, but never one actually on a rifle.

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
April 8, 2014 - 5:43 am

I sure feel bad for the ‘winner’ of the auction. That is one time I’d much rather be a looser.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
April 8, 2014 - 5:50 am

Oh, the rifle is bogus all right, but I think there is more going on than a simple sale of a fake rifle. There are too many issues with the rifle for any serious collector to pay that kind of money for an engraved 92 on Gun broker.

My guess is that the rifle was bought back by the seller or one of his friends to give the rifle some sales history.

It could be a simple as bragging rights… “See guys I have an $18,000 Winchester”.

Possibly for resale at a later date, like a pawn shop a year from now… “Can I pawn this for $9000, it sold for $18,000 in 2014”?

Or most likely insurance fraud, “there was an $18, 000 Winchester in my doublewide when it burned up’, or” I was robbed of my Winchester collection”.

Whatever the case, my gut tells me that there is more to this auction than meets the eye.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
April 8, 2014 - 6:00 am

Mike Hunter said
Oh, the rifle is bogus all right, but I think there is more going on than a simple sale of a fake rifle. There are too many issues with the rifle for any serious collector to pay that kind of money for an engraved 92 on Gun broker.

My guess is that the rifle was bought back by the seller or one of his friends to give the rifle some sales history.

It could be a simple as bragging rights… “See guys I have an $18,000 Winchester”.

Possibly for resale at a later date, like a pawn shop a year from now… “Can I pawn this for $9000, it sold for $18,000 in 2014”?

Or most likely insurance fraud, “there was an $18, 000 Winchester in my doublewide when it burned up’, or” I was robbed of my Winchester collection”.

Whatever the case, my gut tells me that there is more to this auction than meets the eye.

Very interesting points Mike. That certainly could be the case. I think the same thing probably happens on Ebay, or at least people have "help" bidding up their items.
Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
April 8, 2014 - 10:34 am

You might have a very good point there, Mike. That makes more sense to me than believing that there are at least two high end collectors out there who are so out of touch with what an honest Winchester should look like, that they bid the thing up to 18K.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2351
twobit: 2306