Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Royal Flying Corps ??
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forum Posts: 2118
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 15, 2020 - 12:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

All, VERY cool information!

Alan, I am looking forward to the article!

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 15, 2020 - 12:04 am

aland said

The calibre of .45 was chosen in early development as it allowed more room than the standard British .303 round for the incendiary component and means of ignition.

Saw TV program few yrs ago which dealt very specifically with the difficulty of igniting the hydrogen in the gas bags of the Zeps.  Contrary to what you’d expect with such a highly inflammable gas, it wasn’t so easy!  The problem was that that the first incendiary machine-gun bullets in service (.303s) passed through the bags too quickly to set them off.  Unfortunately, I don’t remember was how the bullets were redesigned to overcome this problem. 

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
November 15, 2020 - 12:59 am

Accumulator, thanks that’s an interesting piece of research.

I realize rifles were not shipped in order of the serial number, but is there a date range from  150,800 to 156,599, also was the search for .45/90 only or did this include other Model 1886 calibres?

Regards

Alan

Canada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 54
November 15, 2020 - 1:34 am

According to Winchester .org serial number data I guess Connie searched from 1911-1919 a pretty broad range but only as the letter says rifles received by the London Arms Co . And I had stipulated 45/90  . She knew the date of my original RFC 86 but expanded her search . Unfortunate she didn’t comment as to the exact years most all were concentrated in but prob “ my bad “ I didn’t stipulate and would have involved obviously a more detailed reporting .  All John Madl seems to have encountered fall within my numbers above . Perhaps you have consulted with him . I reported my first one to him but would seem he didn’t record it ? No idea . He is a very approachable fellow and very gracious sharing his data . 
cheers 

Canada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 54
November 15, 2020 - 1:49 am

I also find it curious that an above average amount of these rifles ( 3 now that I know of ) and other British Contract winchesters , 1892 and 1894 Carbines , have found homes in Canada . I can possibly surmise that after the cease of hostilities Britain in “ her “ wisdom disarmed the population and deemed a lot of items surplus . Canada being a “ colony ??”  was a logical dumping point . More times than not when I encounter 44-40 Carbines and 94 30-30 saddle Carbines from the 1912-15 era they are “ DCP” proofed . Part of an order to the British Navy . I’ve had dozens and dozens through the years . Seems like a logical explanation why so many found in Canada . Anyways …. 

cheers 

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 150
November 15, 2020 - 2:29 am

I think we are lucky to have the facility with Cody where they can do research for collectors who are not able to make it to Cody in person.

Funnily enough i was due to take another research trip to Cody around about now, to look at the Ithaca records. Covid-19 put paid to that. However I will get there next year and will now be able to look at the Savage ledgers which Cody will begin to catalogue shortly.

I have been in contact with John Mardi recently and we are pooling our information.

A lot of the DCP M1892 and M1894 SRC’s were sold off in the late 1920’s by a British company called  A. Flemming & Co. This included the M1886 rifles. I think a lot of rifles went to Canada when people from the U.K. immigrated there. Also some must have been imported by dealers or wholesalers in Canada. There really is not much info on this topic out there, other than the release of the small arms, ammunition and accouterments by the British government in the 1920’s. This will be covered in the article.

Regards

AlanD

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261