Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 deluxe on GB
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1913
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 12, 2019 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Anyone watch the bidding war the other day?  What an exceptional 1886!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801104094

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
March 12, 2019 - 9:23 pm

deerhunter said
Anyone watch the bidding war the other day?  What an exceptional 1886!!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801104094  

What I don’t understand is how two guys apparently have no idea what they are really willing to spend for the gun beyond “$100 more than that other guy”!  Just enter your high bid and let it play out.  Crazy.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 66
March 13, 2019 - 12:23 am

If the gun letters as it is with those special order features the price is about right. Per John Madl research only (36) model 1886 have cheek piece stocks. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
March 13, 2019 - 12:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The price seems cheap to me, is it the caliber, the market, Gunbroker, or some hidden flaw. It appears to be a nice deluxe with some rare features, Swiss butt and a cheek piece. Is there a back story. T/R

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
March 13, 2019 - 1:42 am

Cody letter conspicuous in it’s absence. Beautiful gun but something about the wood and the colors in the lever bother me. Didn’t get all the hi-def pics to download, local internet blazing along at speeds not seen since dial-up days. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 13, 2019 - 9:16 am

The lack of a factory letter and the appearance of the lower tang relative to the receiver, among other things, is troubling.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 88
March 13, 2019 - 3:25 pm

Hello everyone, Well I’m the guy that lost the bid on the 86. I dropped out of the bidding because I already have a deluxe 86 in that caliber, the wood looked to be refinished and the sights did not letter. I really liked the rifle even though there may be a few issues with the rifle. I’ll probably never see another one.

Jim is a reputable delar. I have purchased several firearms from hm through the years. Jim told me if I didn’t like the rifle just sent it back for a full refund. He also sold a decent deluxe 73 that same day. Here is the Cody search letter.

Gerald9C6C7696-5705-4923-B284-699523AECDF9.pngImage Enlarger

WACA Member
March 13, 2019 - 7:37 pm

Gerald, Thanks for sharing the information, I liked the gun and wish I owned it. I think I should keep checking on the seller for other nice guns. Question, is it normal to see the wood grain thru the checkering? T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 13, 2019 - 7:46 pm

TR said
 Gerald, Thanks for sharing the information, I liked the gun and wish I owned it. I think I should keep checking on the seller for other nice guns. Question, is it normal to see the wood grain thru the checkering? T/R  

I looked at a couple of my guns and I didn’t see the grain.  My checkering appears to be darker in color.  My guns were both made in the 1870’s.  I also looked at a 95 that was made in 1903.  This one I could see some grain when I used a flashlight.  The gun in question is much lighter in the checkered area than mine.  I think that the older guns have picked up more oil where handled?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 66
March 13, 2019 - 8:04 pm

With the letter i think the buyer got a great gun for a very good price. Like i said only 36 1886 deluxe with check piece stocks and probably only a couple with check and swiss butt. I don’t believe the stock has been refinished. 

WACA Guest
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 120
March 13, 2019 - 10:17 pm

How much more of a value add would the missing Swiss butt plate and the Lyman tang sight have increased the valuation on the above?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 13, 2019 - 10:19 pm

Serial number applied, received in warehouse, and shipped all on the same day??? Doesn’t seem possible.  16 October 1890.

WACA Member
March 13, 2019 - 11:58 pm

Chuck, My guns have a darker cast to the checker area like you describe. When I look at restored wood I can see very plainly the grain color and pattern right thru the checkering like the Swiss butt deluxe. Is a mint gun the same? T/R

WACA Guest
March 14, 2019 - 12:29 am

MRCVS, I agree it does seem odd to receive and ship the same day, however the Swiss but plate deluxe 86 also received and shipped the same day on sept. 11 1891. I have another lettered Winchester that shipped the same day.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
March 14, 2019 - 12:50 am

A Beautiful 86, hard to say if stocks have been refinished. If not, it’s very good value at sales price IMO. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Member
March 14, 2019 - 1:05 am

I understand your reasoning now, Gerald. That Swiss butt plate rifle is nice but your 1886 is certainly a tough act to follow. Never seen a rifle put together quite like this, obviously ordered by a serious hunter. Thanks for sharing your 1886 with us.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1387
March 14, 2019 - 11:13 am

TR said
  Chuck, My guns have a darker cast to the checker area like you describe. When I look at restored wood I can see very plainly the grain color and pattern right thru the checkering like the Swiss butt deluxe. Is a mint gun the same? T/R  

Here is a model 1886 where you can see the grain color and pattern through the checkering.  Is it restored?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801832433

Al

WACA Member
March 14, 2019 - 12:52 pm

tionesta1 said

Here is a model 1886 where you can see the grain color and pattern through the checkering.  Is it restored?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801832433

Al  

Wow! I don’t think so. Seller states oil may have been added but I feel that’s normal maintenance for an oil finish. Seller is the guy I’m referring to when I say the pics show me more than I’d see in person. The pics show every little ding and blemish. Nice rifle!

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
March 14, 2019 - 1:32 pm

Al, The description on the gun says “light finish added”. I like the gun and the wood would not bother me. Most of my guns are antique made in the 1870’s & 80’s, I asked the question because I don’t know the answer. All my life I have asked questions in a attempt to gain knowledge. I am trying to determine if when I plainly see the grain in the checkering on a nice gun is it just well cared for or has it been cleaned and freshen. Maybe there is no simple answer. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303