Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 38-55 Highwall, an unexpected pleasure!
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 5, 2017 - 1:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I’m generally on the hunt for whatever particular piece I want for my collection, however here’s one that was an unexpected purchase. A few days ago Austin Hemmingsen (Austin’s Guns) contacted me letting me know he had an extremely nice 1885 from an estate and he wanted to show me. I’m most interested in 73s and 86s but couldn’t turn this beauty down being that it’s so rare to run across an original Winchester (any model) in this condition.

It’s a 38-55 caliber made in 1889. Julia’s sold the rifle almost 5 years ago and I’ve included their info sheet below. 

It’s also so has a little provenance in that it has a small and tastefully done silver nameplate engraved “J.W. Hirt” which has been connected by the included article on “John W. Hirt” co-owner of the Hirt and Miller Meat Market of Cleburne TX.   

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

20170424_163414_resized_2_zps9vaadu5b.jpgImage Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
May 5, 2017 - 1:22 am

Think it’s safe to say this is NOT the gun Hirt & Miller used for slaughtering their hogs!  Or for very much else, considering its condition!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
May 5, 2017 - 1:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Very nice. Nice to know the story behind a rifle, that’s not usually part of the deal. Congrats!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
May 5, 2017 - 4:20 am

Wow, that’s a great looking high-wall. The graduated peep that letters is a nice adder. Congrats Kevin.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 5, 2017 - 11:30 am

Kevin,

Beautiful. Congratulations.  You’re right in saying they are hard to find in such nice original condition.

Al

Cedar City, Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 72
May 5, 2017 - 12:12 pm

Very nice Kevin…..

Tom

Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
May 5, 2017 - 3:08 pm

Glad you like it Kevin, It is a great untouched piece. It turned out to be from an employee of a rare coin dealer in PA who was getting a few guns in from the estate of the man who bought it at Julia’s. Unfortunately, all other pieces in the collection were not good enough deals to purchase.

WACA Guest
May 6, 2017 - 12:46 am

Thanks guys!

Austin you really have the knack for flushing out nice pristine Winchesters, I appreciate your running this one by me. 

A question for anyone? The large #3 Octagon barrel is fairly heavy on this rifle, what are the advantages of this? 

You had better have some strength in your shoulders and arms if you are planning on taking a long aim in shooting from the standing position. Wink

Image Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
May 6, 2017 - 1:06 am

Only a hint; from what I’ve read the 38-55 had some fame as a long-range target round and the 1885 seems well suited to the same type of shooting. I don’t know what, if any, specific discipline this rifle and cartridge was popular for but there was a lot of informal target shooting going on in those days. I’d guess that tang sight is good for at least 1000 yards so it’s a safe bet Mr. Hirt didn’t buy this rifle to keep rabbits out of the garden or foxes out of the hen house.

I’m a lever gun guy like you, Kevin, but I think I need a nice 1885 just to experience the rifle that got the ball rolling for JMB.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
May 6, 2017 - 3:48 am

The No. 3 barrel was the standard size/weight barrel for the Model 1885 high-wall rifles. The 30-inch length was also standard for the many of the center fire cartridge. If you wanted a “heavy” barrel, you ordered a No. 4. If you wanted an “extra heavy” barrel, you ordered a No. 5.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
May 6, 2017 - 9:40 am

Bert H. said
The No. 3 barrel was the standard size/weight barrel for the Model 1885 high-wall rifles. The 30-inch length was also standard for the many of the center fire cartridge. If you wanted a “heavy” barrel, you ordered a No. 4. If you wanted an “extra heavy” barrel, you ordered a No. 5.
Bert  

Bert, you have any 85s w/#5 barrels in your collection? 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
May 6, 2017 - 8:38 pm

Kevin Jones said

Bert, you have any 85s w/#5 barrels in your collection?   

No, I do not (yet).  I do have a very early production high-wall (serial number 1727) that has the thick-side octagon top frame in 40-70 Sharps Straight that has a #4 barrel.  It is also stamped “BROWNING BROS. ODGEN U.T.” on the top barrel flat right behind the Winchester marking.  It was 1 of 14 identical rifles that were shipped to John Browning in partial payment for the patent rights to the Model 1885.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tionesta1, RickC, Blue Ridge Parson
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970