Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1876 NWMP serial numbers
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 29, 2019 - 3:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi

I am soon going to have a chance to purchase an 1876 NWMP carbine.  I’m looking for the serial number ranges of the order numbers that were shipped to the NWMP.  I know they can be found but I don’t have access to the book by “Yearout”  Just want to check even though I was told the firearm has been in the same family for 100 years and has the markings NWMP on buttstock.  It also has APP stamped.  From pictures the firearm looks in good shape, few nicks in wood but no cracks.  They are asking a lot of money and I have never seen this model Winchester or know much about it other than what I’ve read on internet.  Will be seeing it in a couple weeks.  If it is authentic I would love to have it.  I’m also not sure of a price range.  Can anybody help?  thanks

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
March 29, 2019 - 8:18 pm

If you are considering buying a 1876 NWMP you better buy the book and read it, it’s full of lists and pictures that can help you make a educated decision on your purchase. Title “Winchester’s North West Mounted Police Carbines”, should be easy to find used on the net, it’s a cheap paper back 205 page book. If you can’t find one I have a old one with the back broke you can have for $15 plus shipping. I lent it to a friend, he tried to copy it and broke the back. T/R 

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
March 29, 2019 - 8:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

You might also find the information you need in the  book “Arms and Accoutrements of the RCMP”by Roger Phillips and Donald Klancher. It is available on eBay , Amazon etc. It contains a considerable amount of information including serial numbers of the various firearms used by this force from 1873-1973. 

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 30, 2019 - 3:58 am

I can give you that info.  What is the serial number?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
March 30, 2019 - 4:17 am

If you really want to know if it is legitimate, I’d try and get in touch with Don Klancher. He was a member of the RCMP and has wrote several books and articles on this specific topic. Regardless of what the serial number is, he could probably help render an opinion on the said rifle. 

Sincerely,

Maverick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: TXGunNut
Guest(s) 167
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571