Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 stamped name and date
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 73
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 9, 2014 - 8:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have the opportunity to purchase a very nice 1873 oct 38 WCF from a friend and collector. The rifle is in great shape but has the name J. W. EAST and 1867 stamped on the left side of the receiver rear of the cover plate. We did a search and there is a J W East a confederate soldier Alabama regiment. I know this could be wishful thinking. The gun was manufactured 1890. Stamping ones name or initials on firearms or carving names or initials into the stocks is quite common of course but I am very curious as to why the date 1867 was stamped on there, 23 years prior to the year the gun was made. Perhaps it was this gentleman birth year. Or his sons birth year or something and it was a gift. I have not done a search with Cody or anything at this stage. I would certainly welcome any ones thoughts or insights as to what they make of this. I really like this rifle and stamped or not will probably get it, but purely from collectability purposes I am not sure whether this is a good thing or not. It certainly is very interesting either way. There not doubt have been scores of people in the last 123 years with this surname and initials. Any thoughts. http://postimg.org/image/732jlj45v/588de285/

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
January 9, 2014 - 10:59 am

It’s one of those things you may never know, 1867 was well after the Civil War was over, and of course the rifle didn’t even exist.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1587
January 9, 2014 - 10:59 am

Ain’t No Telling!

I knew a guy that had a 73 with the Initials S.H. Carved into the buttstock. I asked the owner who he thought the initials where for.

His reply was "S#!T Head" because anyone that would do this to such a fine rifle was certainly one.

Maverick

WACA Guest
January 9, 2014 - 11:01 am

Thats funny Maverick and I cant help but agree

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
January 9, 2014 - 12:13 pm

Its definitely a detraction to the gun since it was done in such a crude manner so keep that in mind if you buy it.

Bob.

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 86
January 9, 2014 - 12:13 pm

I thought it might be a gift until I saw the picture. You wouldn’t stamp something like that on a gift. You’d do a nicer engraving.

I think J.W. East received or bought the weapon new when he was 23 years old and then put his name and birth year on it just as a way of saying it was his. It would be a different J.W. East than the one who served in the civil war.

I don’t think it takes much away from the weapon. I don’t think it was done with the intent of enhancing the value or misleading anyone.

Just my random thoughts.

P.S. There is a modern day family owned "J.W. East" HVAC company in Texas who might want to buy it from you. Laugh

WACA Guest
January 9, 2014 - 1:07 pm

Thx James, I reckon you might be pretty close there that he put his name on there as many folks did back then and just threw his year of birth on there as well for the hell of it. Maybe so people like us 120 years later would wonder about it. I did send Jim East an email at that Texas A C company for a bit of fun

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, antler1, deerhunter, Darrin Smith, Steven Gabrielli, Pwog
Guest(s) 279
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2353
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727