Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 2nd model dustcovers
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 6, 2013 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

In conversation with a fellow WACA member, we were trying to narrow down the transition when the 2nd model 1873 dustcovers went from the impressed thumbprint as shown below, to the later serrated edge version. Was it in the first few thousand of the second models? I don’t have Gordon’s book, if it may have the answer. Just curious if any of you know what s/n range this took place in, and how many second models have the older thumbprint style cover. Thanks, Gary
DustCoverampRail.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1554
July 6, 2013 - 11:01 pm

I have seen guns with plain dust covers as low (or early) as in the 36,000 range and late thumb print covers in the 40,700 range. The earliest 2nd models I have seen are in the 30,000 range.

That should give you and Idea on range and how few there are. That puts it at least less than 10,000 with overlapping 1st model receivers mixed in there and covers there are simply plain (no thumbprint). There is no way of knowing how many second models have the thumbprint covers. It was not a special order Item per say and won’t be noted on any ledger page.

I have also seen guns with 1st model receivers as high as 35,000. And LeRoy Merz had a 1st model receiver gun with a serial number in the 130,000 range on his website a while back. That is in the 3rd model range. It was obviously a very late parts gun or the tang had been switched but it looked original.

Sincerely,
Maverick

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
July 6, 2013 - 11:33 pm

Maverick,
Thanks for the info and sharing your observations. Sounds like they showed up quite a bit later than I was thinking, although in the entire run of the second models they are still a relatively small percentage, compared to the later version. The first model frame you mentioned out in the third model range is interesting as well. That’s what makes collecting fun. You never know what you may come across, or hear about.

Thanks,
Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
July 7, 2013 - 7:15 am

It was a wide overlap as Maverick said. Gordon has pictures of a Spanish carbine s/n 29,760 with a second model rail and thumb print and the first model mortise cover up to 33,232.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 475
July 7, 2013 - 7:25 am

Pdog:

FWIW, here is what Art Pirkle has to say about the 2nd model dust cover. It coinsides with what others have said:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

WACA Member
July 10, 2013 - 9:22 pm

Rick,

Would you mind re-posting that article with a larger image size or a link to it or something. On my browser (don’t know about everyone else’s) it is the size of a postage stamp and I can’t make out any of the text to actually read the article.

Sincerely,
Maverick

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 475
July 11, 2013 - 6:09 am

I’ll see if I can figure it out while I’m on the road. May have to wait until we get home……

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
July 11, 2013 - 6:12 am

Rick Hill said
I’ll see if I can figure it out while I’m on the road. May have to wait until we get home……

I show you how…

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
July 11, 2013 - 8:10 am

How’s this look……..hopefully not too big

2ndModelDustCover.jpgImage Enlarger

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
July 11, 2013 - 10:32 am

Perfect, I can acutally read it. Thanks!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, tsillik, TXGunNut, TR, morsece, SureShot, Paul K
Guest(s) 141
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160