Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Rare Winchester 1892 Match Target 1917 unfired. Is this model 92 original?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 1, 2016 - 11:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Interesting model 92 on Gun Broker. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/580453148

Al

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1910
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 1, 2016 - 2:11 pm

Great story, but where’s the documentation?  Also, why would Winchester choose a SRC for a “Match Target” gun?  Seems fishy to me.  Another example of buy the gun, not the story in my opinion.  Also the buff marks on the metal don’t look right to me–possibly refinished?

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
September 1, 2016 - 2:22 pm

deerhunter said
Great story, but where’s the documentation?  Also, why would Winchester choose a SRC for a “Match Target” gun?  Seems fishy to me.  Another example of buy the gun, not the story in my opinion.  Also the buff marks on the metal don’t look right to me–possibly refinished?

Don  

That’s what I’m thinking also. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 20
September 1, 2016 - 3:35 pm

Not as experienced as some of you guys, but it looks pretty crisp to me.  Some handling marks and wear on the receiver but overall looked pretty good.  The hard part to believe is that it has never been fired!  Would be to tempting for me!

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
September 1, 2016 - 5:37 pm

Too many nicks on the wood for an unfired gun.  Lower tang has wear mark from lever being closed many times.  Saddle ring staple banged up from rubbing against something plus faint saddle ring marks on receiver.  Might not have been used prior to 1969 but has been since.  All those scratches on the buttstock plus dents on the forearm and the seller states the wood is 99.8%???  The area around the magazine ring appears to be pitted.

I have a couple of never fired Winchesters I purchased new in the early 1970’s and they look a lot better that this specimen.  

Having said all this, it is still a very nice gun once the hype is removed.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
September 2, 2016 - 2:12 am

Way too much wear on the stocks for a “99%” Winchester.  In addition to all of the issues pointed out thus far, I noticed that the No. 44 Carbine rear sight has less than 50% of the bluing left o it (picture #10)… that would not be the case on a truly “unfired 99.8% condition” gun.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2293
September 11, 2016 - 9:04 pm

Hello,

I had seen this rifle and would love to have the SN if anybody has been able to get it so that I can add the gun into my survey.  The biggest problem I see on the rifle is the use of the “lightning” style font on the receiver target logo.  1917 seems way early for that style.  The much more common block style of print as on the correct tang stamps was the norm.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 12, 2016 - 2:31 am

As others have mentioned, the buffing marks on the receiver, barrel and magazine tube look a bit odd to me.   And as Bert pointed out on a high condition gun the rear sight doesnt have a lot of blue showing.  Maybe its just me but the blue on the rear barrel band seems a bit dark.  The lightning “Winchester” font is found on cartridge boxes dating to about 1911 to 1913.  Has anyone out there seen another rifle or carbine marked “Winchester Match” like this one–I havent come across one before?   

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2293
September 12, 2016 - 11:10 am

1892takedown said
As others have mentioned, the buffing marks on the receiver, barrel and magazine tube look a bit odd to me.   And as Bert pointed out on a high condition gun the rear sight doesnt have a lot of blue showing.  Maybe its just me but the blue on the rear barrel band seems a bit dark.  The lightning “Winchester” font is found on cartridge boxes dating to about 1911 to 1913.  Has anyone out there seen another rifle or carbine marked “Winchester Match” like this one–I havent come across one before?     

You are right Chris.  I don’t collect cartridge boxes but was more specifically thinking of the style of fonts used on the gun markings themselves.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1723
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 12, 2016 - 12:11 pm

twobit said
Hello,

I had seen this rifle and would love to have the SN if anybody has been able to get it so that I can add the gun into my survey.  The biggest problem I see on the rifle is the use of the “lightning” style font on the receiver target logo.  1917 seems way early for that style.  The much more common block style of print as on the correct tang stamps was the norm.

Michael  

Agreed! The engraving “screams” late 1940’s or 1950’s. Not at all typical of the era.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6358
TXGunNut: 5019
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246
Big Larry: 2339
twobit: 2293