Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 short rifle for Gary's survey
Avatar
deerhunter
Troutdale, OR
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3072
Member Since:
June 26, 2013
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
1
December 2, 2022 - 4:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hey Gary, 

Here’s another for your survey.  It looks legit to me but the letter does not mention the 20 inch barrel nor the Lyman 21.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/-sale-pending-winchester-1894-short-rifle-in-caliber-38-55.cfm?gun_id=102142992

Don

Avatar
deerhunter
Troutdale, OR
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3072
Member Since:
June 26, 2013
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
Avatar
pdog72
Wyoming - Gods Country
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1295
Member Since:
January 26, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
December 2, 2022 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

deerhunter said
Hey Gary, 

Here’s another for your survey.  It looks legit to me but the letter does not mention the 20 inch barrel nor the Lyman 21.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1894-pre-64/-sale-pending-winchester-1894-short-rifle-in-caliber-38-55.cfm?gun_id=102142992

Don

  

I’m on the fence with this one. I agree it looks the part and nothing suspicious in the pics. The long wood doesn’t scare me but combined with lack of notation in the letter makes we wonder.

That said, I already had it in my survey from the past ….. although don’t recall if the letter was shown at that time. 

                                                                               ~Gary~

                                                                                                                                                                              94-SRR.jpg

Avatar
pdog72
Wyoming - Gods Country
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1295
Member Since:
January 26, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
December 2, 2022 - 6:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

deerhunter said
Here’s a couple more:

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/auction/90/viewitem.php?item=4050

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/auction/90/viewitem.php?item=4043

Don

  

I had both of these already. 

Of note, I have found (4) rifles in the same configuration as 4043 between 1899 and 1902. Two are short fore-ends and two are long. 

I own this one as shown in a previous post:

22′” 1894 Shortie to Share | What’s New! | Forum | Winchester CollectorWinchester Collector

                                                                               ~Gary~

                                                                                                                                                                              94-SRR.jpg

Avatar
deerhunter
Troutdale, OR
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3072
Member Since:
June 26, 2013
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
5
December 5, 2022 - 7:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s cool Gary.  Your rifle is an exact twin to the Ward’s rifle.  Tom Vala had this gun before consigning with Ward’s.  It hammered at $1,000 more than I could have bought it from Tom.  I had to pick between this and an 1894 15″ trapper from someone else and I chose the trapper.

Don

Avatar
pdog72
Wyoming - Gods Country
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1295
Member Since:
January 26, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
December 6, 2022 - 2:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

deerhunter said
That’s cool Gary.  Your rifle is an exact twin to the Ward’s rifle.  Tom Vala had this gun before consigning with Ward’s.  It hammered at $1,000 more than I could have bought it from Tom.  I had to pick between this and an 1894 15″ trapper from someone else and I chose the trapper.

Don

  

Not exact, as mine has a short fore-end and an earlier steel buttplate, but very close indeed. I see Tom at the Cody Show most years and enjoy chatting with him. 

                                                                               ~Gary~

                                                                                                                                                                              94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: deerhunter, TXGunNut, Blue Ridge Parson, Turbo 1886, Honest Jon, Springer2
Guest(s) 939
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7643
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5846
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3072
twobit: 2741
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16299
Posts: 149177

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10987
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation