Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 63 Carbine Sights Question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 8, 2018 - 6:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

My 1935 Model 63 Carbine has a tang mounted peep sight and no rear barrell sight. I have read elsewhere that early model carbines could be ordered from the factory with peep sights. The peep sight has some markings on the mounting plate just above the lower mounting screw. I’m having trouble making them out. I haven’t figured out how to post pics yet but will do so when I can.

My questions are;

1. Do you agree tang sights were available as an option on early model carbines?

2. If you agree, have you personally viewed this setup and If so have you seen more than one brand of sight?

3. What brand of sight have you viewed?

Yes, I’m  a newby here and appreciate the expertise available on this forum and any assistance you can offer me.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
July 8, 2018 - 7:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Yes, and I have seen Model 63 rifles with tang sights. Winchester primarily used Lyman tang sights when a customer requested (special ordered) a tang sight.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
July 9, 2018 - 1:45 am

Bert,

Thanks for your reply. As a result, I went out on the internet and did a search for photo’s of Lyman sights and now believe that’s what I have. It also appears that where the barrel sight would have been mounted there’s a piece in the groove to fill the groove. I now assume that would have been factory.

Also, I’m now becoming convinced, for valuation purposes, that what I have is fairly rare. Would you agree?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
July 9, 2018 - 2:54 am

No, I do not agree that it is “fairly rare”.  It is more appropriate to say that it is “less common”.  The term “rare” tends to be overused by a fair number of dealers and collectors.

The 20-inch barrel “carbine” variant was standard from March 1933 to January 1935, and it was not discontinued until late 1936.  Approximately 12,500 Model 63 rifles were equipped with the 20-inch barrel.  Lyman tang sights were relatively common on all pre-WW II production Winchester rifles, whether factory installed, or installed aftermarket.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
July 9, 2018 - 4:16 pm

Bert,

Thanks again for your reply and comments. The bit of history was quite informative and helps considerably. Now if I could just post pics.Cry

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
July 11, 2018 - 5:03 am

Join the group .  There is a wealth of info , a great magazine, and you can post pictures . 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

twentytooz
WACA Guest
July 14, 2018 - 3:31 am

[Image Can Not Be Found]

WACA Guest
July 14, 2018 - 9:34 pm

Where’s the image?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 39
February 7, 2019 - 8:27 pm

Resurrecting an old thread…

I have a 1934 Model 63 factory D&T’d for a tang sight.

My understanding is that the tang sight options are the Lyman WA sight, and the Marbles W8 or W8S sights.

Is there any reason to prefer one of these sights over another?

I see that the Lyman sits in the middle of the tang, whereas the Marbles sits farther back. 

It seems that the Marbles would give a slightly longer sight radius, but I did see one reference to a (much later production) M63 stock having to be “inletted” to fit the rear of the Marbles tang sight.  

Any input is appreciated!

rj25west
WACA Guest
December 26, 2020 - 7:48 pm

Bert H. said
Yes, and I have seen Model 63 rifles with tang sights. Winchester primarily used Lyman tang sights when a customer requested (special ordered) a tang sight.
Bert  

I have noticed that Model 63 Winchesters prior to WWII (about ser. # 44,000 and below) have the upper tangs factory drilled for the Lyman 1A Wa tang sight. After WWII I have not seen the upper tangs drilled. These tangs sights seem to be pricey in the 2-300 range when I find them. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2304