Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 255 22 Magnum
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 1, 2018 - 7:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello. Any opinions regarding the above insofar as collectibility/desirability albeit first manufactured in 1964 and not the typical older Winchester rimfire? 

Thanks.

Forum Posts: 2110
January 2, 2018 - 12:25 am

Judging from the sound of crickets I think most of the people here are interested in pre-64 Winchesters.  I don’t know anything about the 255, sorry.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
January 2, 2018 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

What a way to start off the year! This is the type of question that can really start something, so divide up and get in your corner 

– Only Winchesters made by the original Winchester Repeating Arms Co are collectable, pre-divion of Olin. 

Only Winchesters up untill the second world war are collectable.

– Only pre-1964 Winchester are collectable.

– Only Winchesters made in the US are collectable, no Japanese production. 

– All Winchesters are collectable.

Did I miss anyone?  All joking aside, I love the 200 series of 22’s . They are fairly accurate and extremely reliable. And a blast to shoot. They will become more valuable as time goes by.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 2, 2018 - 9:52 pm

I’m totally ignorant of the Model 255, would like to hear more about it. I’m a pre-64 as are almost all of my Winchesters. Which way to my corner, Vince? 😉 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
January 2, 2018 - 10:37 pm

TXGunNut said
I’m totally ignorant of the Model 255, would like to hear more about it. I’m a pre-64 as are almost all of my Winchesters. Which way to my corner, Vince? 😉   

Sounds like you are in MY corner as a “pre-64” with pre-64 Winchesters.  I never really thought of it that way but I only collect Winchesters older than myself.

Best Regards,

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
January 3, 2018 - 2:12 am

I am going to split my corner… I collect only Pre-WW II Winchesters, but I do believe that all Pre-64 Winchesters are collectable.  No Model 255 for me!

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
January 3, 2018 - 10:30 am

TXGunNut said

Nice to see SOMEONE is open minded enough to be interested to learn something about them. The 200 series was Winchester’s effort to get into the affordable aluminum receiver small arms that were taking the market by storm. They brought out a nice design set of 22’s, the 250 semi-auto right after their plain 150. The difference being a pistol grip pressed-checkering stock of some decent unknown hardwood. Joining the 250 is the 270 and 290. A pump action and the first lever-action  modern 22 from Winchester. It is funny that Winchester, and everyone else, seems to have forgotten all about that gun when they came out with the 9422 as they advertised and called the 9422 the first lever-action 22 from Winchester. Anyway, a couple of years into the series they added the 255 , a 22 mag. Semi-auto. They also had deluxe edition too.

The 200 series had some terrible advertising with outrageous depiction of American Indians with the rifles. But the guns were good plinkers. Never had a miss feed or failure to eject from any of mine, with any ammo. The simple blow back action runs real fast and reliable. The black finish on the alluminum does scratch but wears well.  I don’t know what wood was used but the deluxe has some figure, as does a few random examples of the rest of the series.n Towards the end of the run, Winchester replaced the forend on the pump model with a black plastic one. I don’t know why, and I haven’t been able to convince myself to add that synthetic abnormality to my complete 200 series collection. Enough off the top of my head.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

January 3, 2018 - 1:45 pm

Vince said

TXGunNut said

Nice to see SOMEONE is open minded enough to be interested to learn something about them. The 200 series was Winchester’s effort to get into the affordable aluminum receiver small arms that were taking the market by storm. They brought out a nice design set of 22’s, the 250 semi-auto right after their plain 150. The difference being a pistol grip pressed-checkering stock of some decent unknown hardwood. Joining the 250 is the 270 and 290. A pump action and the first lever-action  modern 22 from Winchester. It is funny that Winchester, and everyone else, seems to have forgotten all about that gun when they came out with the 9422 as they advertised and called the 9422 the first lever-action 22 from Winchester. Anyway, a couple of years into the series they added the 255 , a 22 mag. Semi-auto. They also had deluxe edition too.

The 200 series had some terrible advertising with outrageous depiction of American Indians with the rifles. But the guns were good plinkers. Never had a miss feed or failure to eject from any of mine, with any ammo. The simple blow back action runs real fast and reliable. The black finish on the alluminum does scratch but wears well.  I don’t know what wood was used but the deluxe has some figure, as does a few random examples of the rest of the series.n Towards the end of the run, Winchester replaced the forend on the pump model with a black plastic one. I don’t know why, and I haven’t been able to convince myself to add that synthetic abnormality to my complete 200 series collection. Enough off the top of my head.  

Vince,

I am glad you are the champion of the 200 series since there should be a collector for every model.  But, the same reasons you mention above are the exact reasons I have no love for the 200’s; aluminum receiver, pressed checkering, unknown hardwood instead of walnut, “black” receiver finish and of course, some plastic parts.  Additionally, the ones I have shot had poor triggers (hard to pull) which were not adjustable.

I don’t consider myself close-minded but I guess I never really got over the shock and dismay of Winchester discontinuing the quality blued steel and walnut Model 69 (among others) and replacing it with the new series of rifles designed primarily to reduced manufacturing costs.  In 1964 Winchester did not allow anyone to even make a choice between a quality .22 or the low-cost new rifles, seemingly overnight they discontinued EVERYTHING except the Model 52 and replaced it with the new-fangled stuff.  Maybe I have just been holding a grudge for the last 54 years……I will get over it eventually. 😉

A lot of collectors seem to gravitate towards the rifles (especially .22s) that they grew up with.  My Dad taught me to shoot with his Model 74 and my first Winchester was a Model 69 so that is what I like.  There are younger guys who grew up with the 200 series so those seem to tickle their fancy.

There is room for all of us here at WACA, no need for separate “corners” Laugh

Best Regards,

WACA Member
January 3, 2018 - 11:42 pm

Thanks, Vince. Can’t recall ever seeing one. Will keep an eye out for them. Not a fan of aluminum (alloy) receivers as I feel that was an important landmark on the road away from the guns that I enjoy. I think the whole industry changed when metallurgists developed an aluminum alloy strong enough for a receiver and the resulting cost savings started a “race for the bottom” where little other than price matters. Don’t get me wrong; most of my “social equipment” is built around aluminum alloy receivers. Ruger SR1911, Ruger LCP, Colt Defender .45 (series 90), S&W M&P 15, S&W M37 and a few Winchester 1200/1300’s stashed here and there.

Times change, manufacturers have to keep up. Collectors don’t.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
SO. Oregon
WACA Member
January 4, 2018 - 12:39 am

TXGunNut said

I’m more of an accumulator than a collector. I like them all.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
January 4, 2018 - 2:22 am

Vince said

TXGunNut said

I’m more of an accumulator than a collector. I like them all.  

I resemble that, lol. I’m trying to be a collector but I find so much neat stuff out there that doesn’t meet the “collector” criteria. My downfall is “character”. Guns 90% and above generally don’t have it. 70% guns generally have loads of it. I like character. I’m trying to focus my efforts on higher end guns but right now I have some other irons in the fire. In recent weeks I bought a trap gun that has likely seen hard use (long ago) for 10-15 years so I balanced it out by snagging a minty 69A.

I think the purists have lost interest in this thread, would you mind posting a few pics of a few representatives of the 200 series, Vince?

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
SO. Oregon
WACA Member
January 4, 2018 - 7:56 am

I’d have to use tablet camera, someone liked my digital camera and thought they needed it more than me. I’ll try tomorrow.           

—-UPDATE—-.  Raining no light for photos

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
January 4, 2018 - 5:25 pm

Vince said
I’d have to use tablet camera, someone liked my digital camera and thought they needed it more than me. I’ll try tomorrow.  

No biggie, figured you had some filed.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 118
January 6, 2018 - 11:55 pm

Thank-you all for your collective replies. My question was precipitated by the supposition of it being a rare model and lack of interest from the collecting community at large.

Vince, thank-you. I sent you a PM?

Richard.

Katskill Kidd
WACA Guest
March 10, 2018 - 8:15 pm

I had a Winchester 150 .22LR when I was a kid , one of THE most accurate Rifles I ever owned I am searching for them all the time…..

I made shots with that LeverGun that were just phenomenal, probably was a case of excellent fit , that .22 shot right where I looked,…… straight stock ,internal Hammer , that rifle was almost part of ME I shot it so much, brick after brick of.22LR ,running Rabbits, swimming snakes , thrown  tin cans , didn’t matter ,I hit everything I shot at. 

I actually shot so many rounds I had to have the ejector &spring replaced 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
March 11, 2018 - 12:14 pm

I have had two 200 class .22 calibre rifles.Both were self loaders.They did have terrible triggers,but both never failed to fire.Its too bad Winchester was in their cheapen everything up as much as they could phase .If these guns would have been made of quality steel parts ,the trigger had a little work done to it and better sights installed,I believe they could have been a true classic today,right up there with some of Winchester’s other .22 calibre rifles.

The ones I have shot were accurate,but many of them had poor sights affixed to them.I have seen a few,I am guessing later 200 series rifles, that had up graded sights.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:44 pm

TXGunNut said

No biggie, figured you had some filed.  

Here at last are pictures of my 200 series Winchesters: 290 semi auto, 270 pump, 250 lever action 

Winchester-290.jpgImage EnlargerWinchester-290-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Winchester-270.jpgImage EnlargerWinchester-270-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Winchester-250-1.jpgImage EnlargerWinchester-250-2-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
April 17, 2019 - 3:20 am

Thanks, Vince. Only the auto looks vaguely familiar to me, can’t say I’ve ever seen the other two. I’ve read about the lever but not the pump. Very interesting! All three appear to be in very good condition, thanks for remembering and sharing those pics. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
April 19, 2019 - 12:41 pm

Have had two Model 190 Winchester self loading 22 rifles.They were the cheap end of a cheap line of 22 rifles.However ,I could never get either of them to jam or malfunction,no matter how dirty or fast or slow I fired them.

Still have one of these rifles and when I bought it ,it  was the dirtiest action I ever saw on a 22 rifle.Doubt it had ever been cleaned.Took it to the range before cleaning it, just see if it would work.To my great surprise it did.Not one problem loading or firing with any ammo I put in it, or firing fast as I could or slowly.

It amazed me how such a cheap rifle could work so well.Cannot say that of other self loading rifles I have had, that cost much more.Sights and trigger pull are not the best.Been thinking at some point in time ,I will put a scope on this rifle. Prefer open iron sights,but as I get older and my eye sight gets worse with age,a scope might have to be in the works.Smile

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
April 20, 2019 - 4:52 am

28 gauge said, It amazed me how such a cheap rifle could work so well.Cannot say that of other self loading rifles I have had, that cost much more.Smile  

But after all,  it’s a Winchester. 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: JR70, 86Win, Michael McMurray
Guest(s) 160
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598