Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester M1906 Boys Rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2348
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 27, 2022 - 4:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just received my 3rd M1906 into my 22 collection. Early 1st year, in 22 short. 95% blue, but with a stovepipe bore. Seller said it had a good bore, but he lied.

I should have sent it back, but 95% M1906’s are hard to find.

Really sweet rifles often overlooked as they tend to be a little pricey and many show hard use with little care. I am a bore freak, but I will live with this one as it is so nice externally.

I will eventually take it out and shoot it. I will bench it and shoot at 50 yards. That’s how I test all my 22’s except the M52’s and they test at 100 yards.

Sorry, no pics.                  Big Larry

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
February 27, 2022 - 5:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Good to hear from you, BL! 

Failing to clean properly after only a few shots with corrosive-primed ammo, or even just one, could result in a ruined bore. In 1906, some shooters might still have been using BP, but they hadn’t forgotten about the necessity of cleaning (with water).  Many early smokeless shooters, however, either believed that cleaning after smokeless wasn’t as urgent a necessity as with BP, or they were taken in by ads for the new nitro-solvents like Hoppe’s, which were chemical, not water, based.  Result: a gun that might be new on the outside, but with a roached bore. 

WACA Member
February 27, 2022 - 7:12 pm

clarence said
Good to hear from you, BL! 

Failing to clean properly after only a few shots with corrosive-primed ammo, or even just one, could result in a ruined bore. In 1906, some shooters might still have been using BP, but they hadn’t forgotten about the necessity of cleaning (with water).  Many early smokeless shooters, however, either believed that cleaning after smokeless wasn’t as urgent a necessity as with BP, or they were taken in by ads for the new nitro-solvents like Hoppe’s, which were chemical, not water, based.  Result: a gun that might be new on the outside, but with a roached bore.   

Hello to you my friend.

All you say is true. At the old Great Western gun show I spotted a drippy mint M1898 Krag and so I picked it up to look it over and looked down what had been a bore at one time. The rifle had belonged to the American Legion and they had fired corrosive blanks out of it for their ceremonies and probably never cleaned it. Too bad as it was a really nice Krag.

Being a Marine in the 60’s we never had any corrosive ammo. But being a martial arms collector, I saw 1st hand what the ammo from WW2 had done to Garands and M1903’s. Not so with the carbines.

Anyway, two of my other M1906’s have minty bores and I cannot wait to shoot them when the snow leaves.

BTW, my M1890 also has a stovepipe bore, but seems to shoot the 22 longs just fine. For a long that is.   Big LarrySmileLaugh

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 312
February 28, 2022 - 5:31 am

Good for you Big Larry.

Glad to hear you’re still finding some nice ones.  Keep at it Marine.

Bill

WACA Member
February 28, 2022 - 4:34 pm

jolly bill said
Good for you Big Larry.

Glad to hear you’re still finding some nice ones.  Keep at it Marine.

Bill  

Hi Bill. Yes, I am still at it. Mostly S&W’s now. The pride of my collection being the 38-44 Outdoorsman I got from you. Did I ever show you the 50 yard group that Tom shot with that M72 I got from you? Very accurate rifle. A keeper too.

Just bought S&W’s NIB 1967 vintage M41, a 1920’s vintage 32-20, and a NIB 1975 vintage M39-2. Currently out of funds.

Semper Fi Sailor.   Your friend, Big LarrySmileSmileSmileSmile

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Andy Y
Guest(s) 204
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323