Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1903 "EXTRA DRAW" barrel
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 1, 2023 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Guys,

I was disassembling a 1903 and came across an anomaly I have not seen before. The bottom of the barrel, where you would normally find the date, caliber, etc. is stamped “EXTRA DRAW”. Has anyone encountered this and what does it mean.

TIA for any info regarding this.

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 234
June 3, 2023 - 10:28 pm

Erin,

I have zero idea and haven’t ever heard of such a stamping… but very much look forward to hearing what is found out!

any chance you could post a photo. I’m interested to see the size and font of the stamp. 

Thanks for sharing

WACA Guest
June 4, 2023 - 8:11 pm

If someone will be so kind as to provide an email, I will send the pic to be posted. Ever since the WACA site “upgrade” I have not been able to post photo’s. I don’t do 3rd party hosting sites. 

Erin

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
June 4, 2023 - 8:16 pm

Erin Grivicich said
If someone will be so kind as to provide an email, I will send the pic to be posted. Ever since the WACA site “upgrade” I have not been able to post photo’s. I don’t do 3rd party hosting sites. 

Erin  

As a WACA member, you do not need a 3rd party hosting site.  You can directly upload your pictures to the WACA forums.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
June 4, 2023 - 8:21 pm

After I could not post photo’s after the upgrade, I let my membership lapse so it’s not happening without someone’s assistance.

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 4, 2023 - 8:35 pm

Erin Grivicich said
After I could not post photo’s after the upgrade, I let my membership lapse so it’s not happening without someone’s assistance.

Send the picture to me – [email protected]

WACA Guest
June 4, 2023 - 8:45 pm

Pic. sent

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 4, 2023 - 8:48 pm

Erin Grivicich said
Pic. sent

Here it is (I cropped it and cleaned it up a bit).

Model-1903-Bbl-marking.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Guest
June 4, 2023 - 8:52 pm

Thanks Bert!

Erin

Forum Posts: 2110
June 4, 2023 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Erin,

I don’t have an exact answer for you but the marking is in the same location as the stamps for marking steel types used by Winchester.  Some other steel identification stamps used by Winchester include “NOVO”, “NOVO SUP”, “NOVO-2” for Novo Superior Steel, “KETOS” for Ketos Oil Hardening Steel, etc., etc.  There were at least 100+ different steel marking stamps used by Winchester.

“Extra Deep Draw” is a type of steel used in manufacturing a component when it must be more malleable for forming processes; I have NO idea why that type of steel would be used for a barrel unless the barrel blank was drawn.

I have been tracking and logging all of the Winchester stamp drawings which show the 1000’s of stamps and roll-markings Winchester made in the tool room and used on rifles.  For the steel marking section I am missing the drawings for the steel stamps numbered 17577-26 through 17577-89 (except for 17577-35) so it is very likely that the stamp for “EXTRA-DRAW” is on one of those missing drawings but we may never know……

Again, not a definitive answer but that is my best guess.  Seewin can probably chime in with more detailed information on Extra Deep Draw steel as it is not something I commonly work with.

Best Regards,

Jeff

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 462
June 4, 2023 - 10:32 pm

My experience with “drawing steel” relates to very low carbon steel, typically with a fine grain structure used in the deep drawing process to form parts such as cups, sinks, cans etc. This is basically the same process used in making bullet jackets and cases except with steel. As Jeff mentioned this steel must be very malleable to prevent work hardening.  This process or the steel, would have no relevance to a rifle barrel. I tend to think it was possibly a “cold work hardening” process used to make the surface harder and possibly resist wear. I envision this process would be similar to button rifling where a button made to mirror the inside surface of the barrel is pulled through the barrel to work harden the interior surfaces of the barrel. 

Steve

WACA Guest
June 5, 2023 - 12:16 am

Thanks for the info guys, I have never seen one marked like this prior. Always something to learn…….

Erin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323