Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Real early 2ND model 1890 half nickel
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 5, 2018 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

In Texas (and probably most other states) it is a criminal offense to make a false report to a peace officer. It’s not often prosecuted as far as I know but it should give someone fraudulently reporting a stolen gun something to think about. On the other hand, in my experience smart criminals are a show business myth. Some are undoubtedly stupid enough to file a false report. Having to deal with that could be a huge headache. One advantage of buying a gun from a licensed dealer with a brick & mortar store; many cities require them to place a hold on used guns purchased from individuals until the police have an opportunity to do a stolen check.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
April 6, 2018 - 1:32 am

It is also against Federal Law and I’m sure its illegal in all 50 states.

From Wikipedia

Making false statements (18 U.S.C. § 1001) is the common name for the United States federal crime laid out in Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code, which generally prohibits knowingly and willfully making false or fraudulentstatements, or concealing information, in “any matter within the jurisdiction” of the federal government of the United States,[1] even by merely denying guilt when asked by a federal agent.[2] A number of notable people have been convicted under the section, including Martha Stewart,[3] Rod Blagojevich,[4] Michael T. Flynn,[5] Rick Gates,[6] Scooter Libby,[7] Bernard Madoff,[8] and Jeffrey Skilling.[9]

This statute is used in many contexts. Most commonly, prosecutors use this statute to reach cover-up crimes such as perjury, false declarations, and obstruction of justice and government fraud cases.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_false_statements

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 6, 2018 - 2:23 am

TXGunNut said
In Texas (and probably most other states) it is a criminal offense to make a false report to a peace officer. It’s not often prosecuted as far as I know but it should give someone fraudulently reporting a stolen gun something to think about. On the other hand, in my experience smart criminals are a show business myth. Some are undoubtedly stupid enough to file a false report. Having to deal with that could be a huge headache. One advantage of buying a gun from a licensed dealer with a brick & mortar store; many cities require them to place a hold on used guns purchased from individuals until the police have an opportunity to do a stolen check.

Mike  

I was a FFL for a while and never heard of a federal requirement like that but  like you said it could be a local ordinance. I know Pawn shops are required to hold all items for a certain amount of time so they can be check for being stolen.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
April 6, 2018 - 1:32 pm

1873man said

I was a FFL for a while and never heard of a federal requirement like that but  like you said it could be a local ordinance. I know Pawn shops are required to hold all items for a certain amount of time so they can be check for being stolen.

Bob  

Yes, it is a common local ordinance around here. Should have made that clearer. Generally referred to as a pawn shop ordinance.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Roundsworth, antler1, spursfan, Darrin Smith, Edward Kitner, Pwog
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727