Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Nickel plated M1890 Gallery Guns?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 1, 2020 - 9:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’ve been really interested in Winchester rimfire rifles in the last few years, mostly because I’ve been able to find some nice samples that I can afford, and among those are a few gallery guns, which I seem to have an affinity for.

I came across two M1890 Gallery Guns coming up in Kramer Auction’s listings on Proxybid which both have Nickel plated receivers. The second one listed has been cut at the muzzle but I’d be curious as to the experts’ opinions here especially regarding the nickel receivers. Is that a factory thing and if so, how rare is it? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Rare-Nickel-Rec-Win-1890-22-Short-Gallery-Rifle/lotInformation/56914806

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Winchester-1890-22-Short-Nickel-Gallery-Gun/lotInformation/56914807

TIA,

Steve

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
October 1, 2020 - 11:47 pm

Factory Nickel trim is not what I would call rare, more along the lines of “not common”.  Full Nickel from the factory is more along the rare lines. Nickel trim on actual gallery guns was relatively common place as for the durability of the finish compared to blued models. It doesn’t bring a large premium to the price of the rifle. The first one you have the link to looks pretty solid and correct. The second one is a wreck. Not only has the barrel been hack sawed off, the magazine rings are soldered to the barrel and it also appears to have had a nice coat of black paint applied at some point. From the inletting, I would guess the Swiss butt plate is original to the stock or fitted by someone who knew what they were doing. If you don’t have a copy of Ned Schwings book on the 1890, I highly suggest obtaining one if you are going to enter the realm of the 1890.

Erin

Los Angeles
WACA Member
October 2, 2020 - 12:05 am

Erin Grivicich said
Factory Nickel trim is not what I would call rare, more along the lines of “not common”.  Full Nickel from the factory is more along the rare lines. Nickel trim on actual gallery guns was relatively common place as for the durability of the finish compared to blued models. It doesn’t bring a large premium to the price of the rifle. The first one you have the link to looks pretty solid and correct. The second one is a wreck. Not only has the barrel been hack sawed off, the magazine rings are soldered to the barrel and it also appears to have had a nice coat of black paint applied at some point. From the inletting, I would guess the Swiss butt plate is original to the stock or fitted by someone who knew what they were doing. If you don’t have a copy of Ned Schwings book on the 1890, I highly suggest obtaining one if you are going to enter the realm of the 1890.

Erin  

Thanks Erin, 

I realize the second one was less than optimal. The nickel sparked my curiosity. Not sure that I’m going to bid, but I am looking to educate myself and really appreciate your help. I have Schwing’s Vol II on the M61 and M62. I guess its time to save my pennies for Vol I.

Thanks again,

Steve

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 2, 2020 - 2:23 am

Don’t wait too long if you want that Vol I, Steve, either I got a bargain a few years back or they’ve gone up a bunch. Good investment then, probably still is.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Los Angeles
WACA Member
October 2, 2020 - 2:27 am

TXGunNut said
Don’t wait too long if you want that Vol I, Steve, either I got a bargain a few years back or they’ve gone up a bunch. Good investment then, probably still is.

Mike  

Yea. I’m finding copies from $150-200 and up. I’m sure I won’t wait too long..,

Steve

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
October 2, 2020 - 4:21 am

Steve,

As a side note:  1890’s that were actually used in the shooting galleries very often have mismatched serial #’s.  When they were disassembled for cleaning, little attention was paid to matching the proper serial #’s when reassembling.  I own one of the nickel trim gallery models, complete with mismatched #’s. It’s numbers are high enough to have the model 90 designation barrel but this rifle has a postal replacement barrel.  I don’t know how many rounds of 22 shorts it takes to actually wear out a barrel but it seems that may be the case with this rifle.

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
October 2, 2020 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Erin Grivicich said
Steve,

As a side note:  1890’s that were actually used in the shooting galleries very often have mismatched serial #’s.  When they were disassembled for cleaning, little attention was paid to matching the proper serial #’s when reassembling.  I own one of the nickel trim gallery models, complete with mismatched #’s. It’s numbers are high enough to have the model 90 designation barrel but this rifle has a postal replacement barrel.  I don’t know how many rounds of 22 shorts it takes to actually wear out a barrel but it seems that may be the case with this rifle.

Erin  

To add to this many real gallery guns were modified to accept speed loaders or might have an attachment for a tether.  There is no absolute proof that either of the guns were ever used for gallery shooting, especially the one with the Swiss butt.  These 2 guns could educate you by taking money out of your pocket.  I suggest you not buy the 2nd one but maybe the first just don’t over pay. Buying guns like this with special features that can’t be lettered is a very risky proposition for someone that is still learning.  In 1919 you could get both the Model 1890 and the Model 90.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
October 2, 2020 - 6:33 pm

Chuck said
To add to this many real gallery guns were modified to accept speed loaders or might have an attachment for a tether.  There is no absolute proof that either of the guns were ever used for gallery shooting, especially the one with the Swiss butt.  These 2 guns could educate you by taking money out of your pocket.  I suggest you not buy the 2nd one but maybe the first just don’t over pay. Buying guns like this with special features that can’t be lettered is a very risky proposition for someone that is still learning.  In 1919 you could get both the Model 1890 and the Model 90.

Thanks Chuck,

No chance I would bid on the second and, frankly, unless the first somehow turned out to be “too good to refuse” I really didn’t plan to bid. My interest in gallery guns (and other corners of the Winchester world that are approachable at my level) led my to check out these two while I was browsing the auction, and the fact that they were nickel inspired me to ask the experts here about that.

We’ll see what happens at the auction. I have no expectation of acquiring this rifle but it has already paid off in growing my knowledge base.

Thanks again, everyone for sharing your expertise.

Steve

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160