Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1906 Questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 3, 2017 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Howdy,

I just acquired my first model 1906. It has a manufactures date of 1909 which makes it 108 years old and still shoots fantastic. As far as its overall condition I would say it’s rough. Loss of bluing, stock is weathered and chipped, the sites appear to be replacement and its missing a screw for the fore grip. But its mine and I’m digging it! My question is about the barrel length vs the magazine tube length. All the ones I have seen in images the barrel is slightly longer than the magazine tube. Mine is flush with the end of the barrel. Any idea if this is factory or maybe I have a cut or replaced barrel? Thanks guys.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
November 4, 2017 - 5:23 am

How long is the barrel? It should be 20-inches long.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
November 5, 2017 - 6:37 pm

It must have been cut down. The barrel from where it goes into the receiver to the muzzle is 19 and 1/2 inches long  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
November 5, 2017 - 7:09 pm

There should be about 1/2″ of barrel inside the receiver. if you slide a cleaning rod inside the barrel with the action closed, mark it, and measure the length you will get 20″………… most likely. I do agree that the magazine tube sounds a bit long from how you describe it. Maybe its a tube from another model, but I would have to pull some of them to see if they are different. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
November 5, 2017 - 9:00 pm

pdog72 said
There should be about 1/2″ of barrel inside the receiver. if you slide a cleaning rod inside the barrel with the action closed, mark it, and measure the length you will get 20″………… most likely. I do agree that the magazine tube sounds a bit long from how you describe it. Maybe its a tube from another model, but I would have to pull some of them to see if they are different.   

You were right. 20″ exactly. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2351
November 5, 2017 - 9:13 pm

[email protected] said

You were right. 20″ exactly. I wish I knew how to post pictures.  

I love my M1906. It is one of the later ones made with a M1890 receiver. Waited a long time to get a nice one. Most are beaters and the others are very pricey.   Big LarryM06.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
November 6, 2017 - 3:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Big Larry said

I love my M1906. It is one of the later ones made with a M1890 receiver. Waited a long time to get a nice one. Most are beaters and the others are very pricey.   Big LarryM06.jpgImage Enlarger  

Very nice looking rifle. Mine would be considered a beater I would say. Bluing is all gone and the wood is in rough shape. No real rust but it’s been used well. Still shoots great! Serial number puts the date it was manufactured was 1909. For a 108 year old firearms it still performs.

WACA Member
November 6, 2017 - 4:21 pm

[email protected] said

Big Larry said

Very nice looking rifle. Mine would be considered a beater I would say. Bluing is all gone and the wood is in rough shape. No real rust but it’s been used well. Still shoots great! Serial number puts the date it was manufactured was 1909. For a 108 year old firearms it still performs.  

I have a fairly nice Winchester M1873 in 22 short that is 128 years old and it still shoots great and is very accurate. It is the oldest gun in my collection. I have a few other Winchester pumps and they all shoot very well.   Big Larry

WACA Guest
November 6, 2017 - 5:36 pm

So if my barrel is indeed the correct length is the only reason my magazine tube is so long is that is it off of another firearm? Any identifying marks or tails that would prove this? Or is it just as simple as that? Thanks. I went out and shot it yesterday (I have a range on my property) and I was hitting a 5” steel plate from 40 yards away with ever pull of the trigger.

WACA Guest
November 7, 2017 - 11:12 pm

Image Enlarger

WACA Member
November 8, 2017 - 1:13 am

[email protected] said
Image Enlarger  

Hey, a M1906 and a Long Neck target. Don’t try that at home folks.   Big LarryLaughLaughLaugh

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 55
November 8, 2017 - 7:02 am

[email protected] said
So if my barrel is indeed the correct length is the only reason my magazine tube is so long is that is it off of another firearm? Any identifying marks or tails that would prove this? Or is it just as simple as that? Thanks. I went out and shot it yesterday (I have a range on my property) and I was hitting a 5” steel plate from 40 yards away with ever pull of the trigger.  

My best bet is that magazine is off a M.62 which is slightly longer 

Easiest way to check is to see how many Long Rifle rounds it will take

M1906 will take 12 while the M.62 takes 14.

Here is my M.06 compared with a Gallery M.62

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
November 8, 2017 - 4:26 pm

Big Larry said

Hey, a M1906 and a Long Neck target. Don’t try that at home folks.   Big LarryLaughLaughLaugh  

For the record its only Cream Soda! Haha

And when I get home ill see how many rounds fit into the magazine.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
November 8, 2017 - 8:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

ray said

My best bet is that magazine is off a M.62 which is slightly longer 

Easiest way to check is to see how many Long Rifle rounds it will take

M1906 will take 12 while the M.62 takes 14.

Here is my M.06 compared with a Gallery M.62

Image Enlarger  

Jeez, don’t throw magazine capacities like that out there! The anti’s will try and list them as assault rifles!!WinkErin

WACA Member
November 8, 2017 - 8:32 pm

[email protected] said

For the record its only Cream Soda! Haha

And when I get home ill see how many rounds fit into the magazine.  

I am not a beer drinker, but my Grandson is. So. we go out by the dump and shoot his empties. Most fun shooting them with my M73 22 short with CB caps. I have actually had rounds bounce of the bottles. They barely break, like a BB gun.   Big Larry

WACA Guest
November 8, 2017 - 9:40 pm

I too don’t drink. I am lucky enough to have my own range on my property, I usually just hang paper, recently I picked up some AR500 plates. Shooting steel is really satisfying.

WACA Member
November 9, 2017 - 1:11 am

[email protected] said
I too don’t drink. I am lucky enough to have my own range on my property, I usually just hang paper, recently I picked up some AR500 plates. Shooting steel is really satisfying.  

Steel is fun, but I am disabled and offhand shooting is out of the question. I also have a private range on my buddys 15 acre ranch. Most of my shooting is off a bench at 50 and 100 yards.   Big Larry

WACA Guest
November 9, 2017 - 5:37 pm

Big Larry said

Steel is fun, but I am disabled and offhand shooting is out of the question. I also have a private range on my buddys 15 acre ranch. Most of my shooting is off a bench at 50 and 100 yards.   Big Larry  

I find bench shooting to be very rewarding. My range at the moment is only set up for 25 yards so it mostly use it for handguns.  Private ranges are the best aren’t they?

WACA Member
November 9, 2017 - 7:49 pm

[email protected] said

I find bench shooting to be very rewarding. My range at the moment is only set up for 25 yards so it mostly use it for handguns.  Private ranges are the best aren’t they?  

In this day and age, I do not like shooting at public ranges. Too many weirdo’s out there. We have a very large public range here about 6 miles from my house. Several types of ranges and one that goes out to 1,000 yards. It is seldom very busy, but I would rather drive the 10 miles to my friends range. There I have cemented in benches, a sun shade, and capability to shoot over 200 yards. To positions as well. Add to this, trees block the passing winds so 22’s at 100 yards are not a problem.    Thanks, Big Larry

Cfwmitch
WACA Guest
April 8, 2024 - 9:26 am
sp_Permalink
Awaiting Moderation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057