Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Factory installed deluxe grade winchester 1890/90 stocks
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 27
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 7, 2016 - 4:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Len,

I removed the butt from the receiver — there are no markings on the wood where it meets the receiver nor on the receiver where it meets the wood. 

Incidentally, I have read one of your past postings re the marking (concentric circles) on the front of your gun’s receiver below its loading tube and upon looking at my gun (early 1901 serial number) I see that it has the same mark on its receiver as yours plus another mark, a “k”. I also find the same circle within a circle mark on my 2nd model deluxe with a pistol grip with a receiver stamped in 1900. This gun, like yours, has only the circle within a circle mark on its receiver. 

I would enjoy seeing you post some photos of your 2nd model deluxe if you are so inclined. If you are like me and don’t know how to post on this site you may send your photos directly to me at [email protected] if, like me, you find that easier. It appears that 2nd model 1890s with a deluxe straight stock are extremely rare (considerably more so than deluxe pistol grips) and I would enjoy seeing yours and comparing with mine which, unlike yours, does not have a factory letter showing that it left the factory with checked deluxe wood. Also I am interested that you think the checking on yours is slightly different from mine. 

Rick Schreiber

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 62
January 7, 2016 - 6:37 pm

Rick,

My letter as I recall states checkered straight stock. Not sure if the letter stated up-grade or deluxe. The letter was from Winchester well before Cody was established. I moved a few times since then and my wife has a habit of moving my things around and doesn’t recall where she puts anything. The stock is highly finished and looks to me to be a much better figured wood than standard 1890’s circa 1898. I compared my stock to yours and the checkering appears to be for all intents identical. The border line on yours shows two lines whereas mine has only one single border line. Mine also had a peep sight documented in the letter. Maybe gun was sighted in via the tang sight???? Maybe that could explain the circle within a circle stamp??? Did yours have a tang sight when it left the factory? I’ll PM you a little later.

Len

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
January 7, 2016 - 8:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

If I recall correctly, the last time that we discussed the concentric circles stamp, I had made note that it was prevalent on rifles chambered for the WRF cartridge, plus to a far lesser extent that it was found on a couple of rifles in .22 short caliber.  Another interesting thought was that it might have to do with target shooting.

Len, I’ll hold off on posting the pictures you sent to me until I hear from you, since another member here is interested in seeing pictures of your rifle.

James

WACA Guest
January 8, 2016 - 12:57 am

James,

Go right ahead and post the pictures if you like.

Len

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
January 8, 2016 - 3:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Here are the pictures of Len’s 1890:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/bmt43/013_zpsp0xerzzu.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/bmt43/014%201_zpsqffnnp1z.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/bmt43/023%201_zpsst52krqr.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
January 10, 2016 - 1:26 am

Len,

Beautiful. Any chance that you can also post a few photos of stocks and checking? Thanks.

Rick

WACA Guest
January 10, 2016 - 6:22 pm

rick schreiber said

Len,

Beautiful. Any chance that you can also post a few photos of stocks and checking? Thanks.

Rick

Rick,

PM me

WACA Member
January 23, 2016 - 5:13 pm

CORRECTION:  In my first post I mistakenly described the 2nd model 1890 shown on the cover of Schwing’s book as a 1st model that had been returned to the factory in 1912 for a deluxe stock. The 1st model that was returned to the factory for a deluxe stock is instead pictured at page 163.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291