Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Description of building Model 52s in 1928 Rifleman.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 5, 2019 - 12:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ran across this excellent 5-page article while looking for something else, in the Feb. issue beginning on p. 10. Some rather surprising claims–that bores were hand lapped after rifling, then individually tested for uniformity with an upset slug.  Cost of machining 82A sight was said to exceed cost of receiver.  (I prefer that sight to the Lyman 48.)  Stock was finished with shellac (esp. surprising to me), then rubbed with pumice & oil.  Includes 6 large photos of different machining operations.

My copy is in a bound volume, so can’t be photocopied, but there are some Rifleman collections on line.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 825
December 5, 2019 - 11:02 pm

Most interesting.Thanks for posting.

NY
WACA Member
December 6, 2019 - 4:34 am

28 gauge said
 Most interesting.Thanks for posting.  

Thanks.  Wish I could provide a photocopy, as little or none of this info appears in House’s 52 book, even though the article seems to have been supplied by the company itself, not written by Rifleman staffers.

Cedar City, Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 72
December 6, 2019 - 1:00 pm

Has anyone found this online? If so, please provide a link………..

NY
WACA Member
December 6, 2019 - 3:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

tsbccut said
Has anyone found this online? If so, please provide a link………..  

Google Books lists scattered volumes, but not ’28.  But I know there are other sources, as I’ve seen them posted on-line.  Didn’t bother to save them, as I had all but the earliest issues myself.  One source I did save, because it contained years I lacked, was this one (which someone with computer research skills FAR above my own found & posted it on another website):  https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011249450  Unfortunately, there’s considerably more knowhow required in finding these kinds of on-line resources than merely searching Google.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
December 20, 2019 - 10:33 pm

So I was browsing eBay the other day and came across a bunch of American Rifleman magazines. I thought it was a long shot but I searched for Feb 1928 and there it was. Owing a nice 52B target (thanks twobit!) I figured it was the least I could do to buy it, scan it and share it with y’all.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Thanks for the education.

Steve

(I guess I can’t attach a pdf. Here is a link to the file I made in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/94b4jgtn7he48no/AMRiflman-ManufAndTestingOf22s.pdf?dl=0 )

Edit: Here’s a searchable PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5sxd3887uf4b26/AMRiflman-ManufAndTestingOf22s-searchable.pdf?dl=0

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

NY
WACA Member
December 20, 2019 - 11:25 pm

supergimp said

(I guess I can’t attach a pdf. Here is a link to the file I made in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/94b4jgtn7he48no/AMRiflman-ManufAndTestingOf22s.pdf?dl=0 )  

This works fine, but if your scanner gives you a choice of saving in jpg format, jpg can be attached…I think.  Hope you think it was worth the trouble of finding it! 

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
December 20, 2019 - 11:49 pm

clarence said

This works fine, but if your scanner gives you a choice of saving in jpg format, jpg can be attached…I think.  Hope you think it was worth the trouble of finding it!   

Yea, I scanned as jpeg and then cleaned it up and put it in a pdf. I like all my personal saved references this way and I can do an OCR scan and store the keywords in the pdf (not done yet). I’d rather have one clean document than a bunch of jpegs for an article like this.

Steve

(Added the link to a searchable pdf to my original post)

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

NY
WACA Member
December 21, 2019 - 12:22 am

supergimp said

Yea, I scanned as jpeg and then cleaned it up and put it in a pdf. I like all my personal saved references this way and I can do an OCR scan and store the keywords in the pdf (not done yet). I’d rather have one clean document than a bunch of jpegs for an article like this.

Steve  

Clearly, you know one hell of a lot more about the subject than I!  Each time I use my scanner (every few months or so), I have to re-learn what to do, usually screwing up several times in the process.

Cedar City, Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 72
December 21, 2019 - 11:42 am

Thanks for making this available Steve.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 794
December 21, 2019 - 3:44 pm

Great article and information.  Thank you for making it available to all of us. 

NY
WACA Member
December 21, 2019 - 6:26 pm

Those who have read it–does the part about lapping the bore sound credible to you?  Remember, this piece looks like it was written entirely by the company, not a report of a tour of the factory by a Rifleman correspondent, or I’m sure that would have been mentioned.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 462
December 22, 2019 - 1:43 am

I have Winchester references to “lead lapping bore” right up until the end of 52 production in 1980.

Steve

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
December 22, 2019 - 1:49 am

clarence said
Those who have read it–does the part about lapping the bore sound credible to you?  Remember, this piece looks like it was written entirely by the company, not a report of a tour of the factory by a Rifleman correspondent, or I’m sure that would have been mentioned.  

Clarence, I have read that the bores of the Model 57’s were hand lapped, but I don’t recall the reference, so it would stand to reason to me that the Model 52’s were as well.

NY
WACA Member
December 22, 2019 - 2:14 am

jwm94 said

Clarence, I have read that the bores of the Model 57’s were hand lapped, but I don’t recall the reference, so it would stand to reason to me that the Model 52’s were as well.  

Yes it would…except that common sense forces me to reject out of hand any contention that it was done on a economy-priced model like the 57!  Even if Winchester advertising claimed it was done, I wouldn’t believe it!

52s are a different story, of course, and I do not reject out of hand that it could have been done.  Only, if so, I’m surprised that the 52 advertising I’ve seen (including everything in Houze) makes no mention of it.  “Hiding your light under a bushel” is a practice not much honored in the cut-throat world of capitalist competition!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 462
December 22, 2019 - 2:22 am

I have process sheets used on the later 52’s, and they specifically state “lead lapping and testing” as one of the operations performed on the barrels. It is also interesting to note that the blueprints for the model 75 barrels, both target and sporting, states”omit lead lapping” on these barrels.

Steve

Forum Posts: 2110
December 22, 2019 - 3:33 am

Thanks Clarence and Supergimp, 

Great article, thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas!

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
December 22, 2019 - 3:42 am

clarence said

jwm94 said

Yes it would…except that common sense forces me to reject out of hand any contention that it was done on a economy-priced model like the 57!  Even if Winchester advertising claimed it was done, I wouldn’t believe it!

52s are a different story, of course, and I do not reject out of hand that it could have been done.  Only, if so, I’m surprised that the 52 advertising I’ve seen (including everything in House) makes no mention of it.  “Hiding your light under a bushel” is a practice not much honored in the cut-throat world of capitalist competition!  

I’m good with that.

I see where Jeff has posted.  He’s the resident authority on the 57, so maybe he has some info to add on this issue as well.

NY
WACA Member
December 22, 2019 - 3:50 am

seewin said
I have process sheets used on the later 52’s, and they specifically state “lead lapping and testing” as on of the operations performed on the barrels. It is also interesting to note that the blueprints for the model 75 barrels, both target and sporting, states”omit lead lapping” on these barrels.

Steve  

That settles it, Steve–not too many of us (including Houze, apparently) have such important data at our disposal!  Thanks for putting it “on the record.”

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291