Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Are the 1904 and the 60A very collectible ?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 26, 2017 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just looking at some at a gun show, and I know very little about them. Cute little guns. I don’t have much material to read about them.

The 1904 is short & long, and the 60A is S, L, LR with grooved forearm.

Bill

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
August 26, 2017 - 8:42 pm

Bill,

Yes they are collectable, but unless they are in high condition, they typically do not get much interest, or have a lot of value. You really need to pick up a copy of Herb Houze’s book “To The Dreams of Youth, Winchester .22 Caliber Single Shot Rifles”. Read it cover to cover at least a few times.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

California
WACA Member
August 26, 2017 - 8:51 pm

Thanks Bert. In Reno, and the book may be here.

Bill

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2341
August 27, 2017 - 12:35 am

I have a very early M60-A and it is very accurate. Keep most in the 9 and 10 ring at 50 yards. They are not rare, but the 60-A target is. I have yet to shoot my M1904.  Big Larry

California
WACA Member
August 27, 2017 - 3:55 am

Big Larry,

is the 60a target marked in a special way ?

Bill

Forum Posts: 2110
August 27, 2017 - 4:08 am

Hi Bill, 

Yes, the barrel is marked “60-A Target” and of course the military style stock, barrel band, sling swivels and sights are different.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
August 27, 2017 - 1:26 pm

Enjoy Reno, Bill! Can’t answer your question but I for one am getting more interested in .22’s in general. So many models and variations it’s a bit overwhelming but we have a few resident experts to help us out. 🙂

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
August 27, 2017 - 3:56 pm

You can always count on JWA. Remember, he is the one writing the 22 book. I know him personally, and call him my friend. He will be the absolute GURU when his book is published.   Big Larry

California
WACA Member
August 27, 2017 - 6:08 pm

I have been starring at a 1904 and a 60a all show long across from my table. I would put both over 80%+.

they just look like a fun little gun, and grandkids could start with.

asking price each at $375, and thinking & $200-250 would be at try at.

is that too high ?

Bill ( I’ve got the Sunday itch )

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
August 28, 2017 - 12:14 am

250 to 300 seem in line if they meet your requirements for fit and finish. They are not going to be any cheaper in the future and they are getting harder to find. I drove across country just 2 months ago and stopped at maybe 5 or 6 gun shop in country towns and didn’t find a single Winchester 22 worth more than parts but still priced as if collectable. Did see a beautiful 1873 in 22 extra long. It was in a barn turning into an antique shop, it wasn’t for sale , being the gal’s grandfather’s. She let me handle it,it needed cleaning and oil BAD. I had my kit in the motorhome and she let me work on it. It clean up nicely with no real damage to blueing. What I thought was a shot bore turned into one coated with grease. Ended up looking in good shape with good rifling. She was real happy and was going to present it to her grandson who is graduating West Point in 2 years.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
August 28, 2017 - 12:34 am

Holy crap Batman!!! Do you know how rare those are? A person wanting to shoot one would have to be rich. The last two boxes of Extra Long I saw, went for $700 a box of 50. You will probably never see another in that caliber in your life. You did take pictures, didn’t you?     Big LarryDSCF0641-2.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
California
WACA Member
August 28, 2017 - 3:04 am

Vince said
250 to 300 seem in line if they meet your requirements for fit and finish. They are not going to be any cheaper in the future and they are getting harder to find. I drove across country just 2 months ago and stopped at maybe 5 or 6 gun shop in country towns and didn’t find a single Winchester 22 worth more than parts but still priced as if collectable. Did see a beautiful 1873 in 22 extra long. It was in a barn turning into an antique shop, it wasn’t for sale , being the gal’s grandfather’s. She let me handle it,it needed cleaning and oil BAD. I had my kit in the motorhome and she let me work on it. It clean up nicely with no real damage to blueing. What I thought was a shot bore turned into one coated with grease. Ended up looking in good shape with good rifling. She was real happy and was going to present it to her grandson who is graduating West Point in 2 years.  

I walked away….not sure condition was as good as it should be. Having said that, iI think they were ok. There were two 04A’s there. All three were tagged at $375 before talking. Both vendors will be at the November Reno Show I’m sure.

Bert can check ’em out with me !

Thanks for the input.  ( Didn’t sell my 1873 22 short. Not even a looker !  ) It’s available for any of you 22’ers.

Bill

WACA Member
August 28, 2017 - 3:34 pm

I paid $400 for my M1904. It is an early rifle with the M1904 markings, not the M04. There is a little difference. The “A” models, I believe are also in 22 LR. as well as S and L. Mine is the early S-L and EX Long. It is about a 60% rifle with a bad bore. I may have paid too much, but I am unable to do shows any longer due to my disabilities. I think you would do well at $375 if they have any condition at all. BTW, I probably would have bought your M1873 22 had I not found a nicer one for a little more $$$.   Big Larry

DSCF0641-3.JPGImage Enlarger

California
WACA Member
August 29, 2017 - 3:11 am

Thanks Big Larry. I’m glad you got what you wanted.

Bill

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
August 29, 2017 - 6:55 am

Big Larry said
Holy crap Batman!!! Do you know how rare those are? A person wanting to shoot one would have to be rich. The last two boxes of Extra Long I saw, went for $700 a box of 50. You will probably never see another in that caliber in your life. You did take pictures, didn’t you?     Big Larry 

Unfortunately, no. Didn’t know , never have looked into 73’s, too expensive for my meager collecting.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
August 29, 2017 - 3:24 pm

Vince said

Big Larry said
Holy crap Batman!!! Do you know how rare those are? A person wanting to shoot one would have to be rich. The last two boxes of Extra Long I saw, went for $700 a box of 50. You will probably never see another in that caliber in your life. You did take pictures, didn’t you?     Big Larry 

Unfortunately, no. Didn’t know , never have looked into 73’s, too expensive for my meager collecting.  

Vince, I recently bit the bullet. While perusing Guns International, I found a real nice M1873 22 short, but it had a round bbl. The rifle was for sale by our friend Mr. Turnbull. He had mine and another that had been case hardened. Very little finish left, but quite rare. It was $2,500 more than the blued on I got, well in to $7,000+ bracket. The blued one I got was a good 75%+, but at $5,500, I had to put it on my credit card, which had a 0 balance. I hated to do that, but it was my only option. I sold a few rifles for about $3,000 and put it on the card. I wanted that rifle to complete my set of 22’s. I have all the major models now, less a couple “A”s and the scope models. I do have a very nice 8X scoped M75 though. I just did what I had to do, and never looked back.   Big Larry

WACA Member
August 29, 2017 - 3:38 pm

Congrats on your addition, Big Larry. Sounds very nice, looking forward to some pics. Will look to see if they’re still up on the GI site.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
August 29, 2017 - 4:09 pm

TXGunNut said
Congrats on your addition, Big Larry. Sounds very nice, looking forward to some pics. Will look to see if they’re still up on the GI site.  

I have posted a pic. About 4 posts up. It is a beauty.   Big LarryDSCF0641-4.JPGImage EnlargerDSCF0645-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSCF0646-1.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
August 29, 2017 - 6:17 pm

Thanks, wasn’t able to see that pic very well on my phone and never went back to look at it. Nice rifle!

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Antonio, [email protected]
Guest(s) 120
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321