Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A curious problem Win 1906
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 23, 2016 - 1:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The gun is a Win 1906 with the receiver dating to 1911.

Here’s what happens:

Cycling an empty rifle, the action is butter smooth with little force needed to open (and close) the bolt.

After firing a .22 short, there is a noticeable increase in the force needed to open the bolt.

After firing a .22LR, it’s almost hard work to cycle the bolt. From the first inch or so of forearm travel, which lifts the bolt lugs out of the receiver, to full rearward motion, it takes some effort to complete. Closing is easy as with an empty gun.

Too deep for me. I’d appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 23, 2016 - 4:14 am

Rick,

I highly suspect that the chamber is either very dirty, or it has pitted or rough spots in it. Carefully visually inspect the empty cases. If you see nothing, close your eyes, then using your finger tips, traverse the case from end to end while slowing spinning the case, and feel for any irregular or bulges on the outside of the empty case.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 23, 2016 - 3:00 pm

I’ll report back. If true, I’ll be sorry I used my real name on the post. 

The gun is prolly due for its ten year cleaning.

Forum Posts: 2119
June 23, 2016 - 4:28 pm

Bert H. said
Rick,
I highly suspect that the chamber is either very dirty, or it has pitted or rough spots in it. Carefully visually inspect the empty cases. If you see nothing, close your eyes, then using your finger tips, traverse the case from end to end while slowing spinning the case, and feel for any irregular or bulges on the outside of the empty case.
Bert  

Yep, I agree with Bert, the most common cause of your symptom is a dirty/pitted/eroded chamber. 

You can also give it a look to see if there is a ding on the edge of the chamber mouth from the firing pin.  Excessive dry firing can sometimes damage the  chamber edge which affects feeding and extraction.  If that is the case it can usually be easily fixed with a chamber iron.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 25, 2016 - 2:51 pm

Took the gun down and cleaned the chamber from the breech end. Sparkling clean. Had the barrel relined maybe a thousand or two rounds ago, so there’s no pitting. At least, none discernible to the eye.

Same result; very difficult extraction.

The problem is fairly recent but I don’t remember if it is coincident with the relining.

Using standard velocity LR, 1050-1070 fps.

So, dunno. Maybe the chamber is a bit oversized and the cases expand too much. Although, would that matter? Whether the chamber is at spec or a bit bigger, the case is going to expand to fit when fired, and I’d think would extract equally well (or unwell) either way?

Thanks for your interest.

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 25, 2016 - 2:54 pm

Rick,

Are you seeing any visible case deformation or discoloration?

Bert

Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 26, 2016 - 2:46 pm

No discoloration or deformation. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 26, 2016 - 4:43 pm

OK… next step is measure the diameter of the empty case at various points along the length of the case. If a 22 Short shell is hard to extract, start with the section of the case closest to the breech.

Bert

Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 27, 2016 - 6:51 pm

Measurements on long rifle cases, average readings on eight cases:

mouth .2278

mid .2291

head above rim .2294

If one can anticipate your direction, the chamber is oversized by a couple thousandths. But, even if so, why would that make extraction difficult? The case expands to whatever the chamber diameter is, then should extract “normally”. Perhaps a bad analogy, but taking a size 13 boot off of a size 13 foot shouldn’t be more difficult than taking a size 10 boot off of a size 10 foot.

Further, at the end of the pressure curve the case tries to return to original size. In an oversize chamber, shouldn’t extraction then be easier than in a normally sized chamber?

With all that said, I’m obviously missing something, as the bloody cases don’t want to leave the chamber.

Thank you.

Rick

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 27, 2016 - 7:46 pm

Rick Cornuelle said 

Further, at the end of the pressure curve the case tries to return to original size. In an oversize chamber, shouldn’t extraction then be easier than in a normally sized chamber?

With all that said, I’m obviously missing something, as the bloody cases don’t want to leave the chamber.

Thank you.

Rick  

Rick,

In an oversized chamber, the case will stretch beyond its elastic limits, and it will not return to its original size.  If the chamber is too large, the case can split longitudinally.  If you can, send me clear close-up pictures of the fired cases that did not extract cleanly.

Bert – [email protected]

Rick Cornuelle
WACA Guest
June 28, 2016 - 11:26 pm

Bert, sent you pictures by email.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey
Guest(s) 194