Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
2nd Winchester Model 1903 .22 Automatic at auction - Needs TLC
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 52
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 10, 2021 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Well, I got another 1903 22 Automatic at auction. It was one of those, put a low bid on and walk away expecting not to win auctions. 

Well, I won and have her home now. She is dirty inside but seemingly mechanically sound and has a beautiful bore. So much wrong with this rifle that needs attention not sure where to start. nothing major, just a bunch of small stuff.  The stock needs help, the buttstock has been repaired a number of places with attempts as reinforcement, looks like the heal has a new crack as well. I might just replace this buttstock, I have a spare that needs repair, but far less than this one has and needs.

Looks like one of the owners modified the front sight with a set screw, at least I think as I have never seen one of these with a set screw. The rear site evaluation screw needs to be replaced, there is not enough of the screw to be repaired. 

What I didn’t see because you are not allowed to disassemble, is that braze has been added to the top of the cartridge cutoff and the throat of the end of the magazine tube. Not something I think would be done at the factory. I’ll need to function test this, and while I made leave the magazine tube alone, I may replace the cutoff.

Even with all its problems, It’s still a sweet little rifle, and happy to have her, Just need to get her cleaned up and tested.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
October 10, 2021 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The front sight is a Winchester sight but it belongs on an 1892-1894 rifle. I’ve got a bunch of 03 parts if you decide you might need something in the future.

Erin

WACA Guest
October 11, 2021 - 12:26 am

Erin Grivicich said
The front sight is a Winchester sight but it belongs on an 1892-1894 rifle. I’ve got a bunch of 03 parts if you decide you might need something in the future.

Erin  

Erin,

Thank you, might take you up on that parts offer I’m still looking for cutoff and the elevation screw. Can’t seem to locate the site elevation screw, not a big deal, it will be easy to make – I’ll just need to know the thread pitch so I will have to work the old one out and hope there are enough threads to measure.

WACA Guest
October 11, 2021 - 12:53 am

I’ve got the cut off but I believe your chances of coming up with an OEM screw for that sight is about nil. Sights don’t generally get parted out, sold as complete units. 

Best,

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2
October 11, 2021 - 5:18 pm

I’ve had several of these 1903 apart, as well as the Model 63.  Looking at the work there it is possible someone did a conversion to use the Long or LR cartridge. They don’t feed well in the Auto configuration due to the cartridge stop, etc.  A Long is close to the OAL of the Auto cartridge and standard velocity Longs (Like the CCI CB loads) are safe to use – tho the case gets fire formed to the Auto chamber!

Just a thot.

WACA Guest
October 11, 2021 - 6:22 pm

The 22 Auto has a bore dia. of .224 and the 22 S., L., and LR are .221. Accuracy would be dismal at best trying to run the .221 dia. bullets in a .224 barrel. I’ve converted a couple but used a 63 barrel for the conversion. A liner installed in the 22 auto barrel would be another option.

Erin

WACA Guest
October 11, 2021 - 6:43 pm

Erin Grivicich said
I’ve got the cut off but I believe your chances of coming up with an OEM screw for that sight is about nil. Sights don’t generally get parted out, sold as complete units. 

Best,

Erin  

That’s what I’m discovering. That sight seems difficult to find complete as well. Once I get the screw out I’ll figure out the tread pitch and make a replacement. Than you for the help

WACA Guest
October 11, 2021 - 7:02 pm

Bob Hood said
I’ve had several of these 1903 apart, as well as the Model 63.  Looking at the work there it is possible someone did a conversion to use the Long or LR cartridge. They don’t feed well in the Auto configuration due to the cartridge stop, etc.  A Long is close to the OAL of the Auto cartridge and standard velocity Longs (Like the CCI CB loads) are safe to use – tho the case gets fire formed to the Auto chamber!

Just a thot.  

Bob, Put a scare in me LOL… Even worse when I dropped my .22 LR headspace gauges in the chamber and it extracted. Then I measured and the headspace gauge was .285″ and an std LR is .273″ (measured). I dropped in a A-Zoom SNAP CAP and it would not extract. I reassembled the rifle and put a SNAP CAP in the magazine and it would not feed. Whew…. 

But it was a great observation, one that I didn’t even consider.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291