Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1906 "Expert, 1890 & "thumb trigger"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 29, 2021 - 3:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey guys,

I am looking for opinions on these rifles. I have a chance to acquire them and I really do not know that much about 22’s. I am just wondering if from these POOR pictures anyone can tell me about the 1906 Expert as far as rarity and if the nickel is a factory finish. The barrel bluing and wood look almost brand new with very few nicks or scuffs. The bore is practically perfect and it all makes me think about the old saying if it is to good to be true it probably is.

The 1890 is also in exceptional condition on the outside but the bore is poor. Its barrel markings are 22WRF.

The 4 rifles in the 1st picture are just part of the collection of a gentleman that has recently passed. His son is a friend of mine who told me I could have 1st choice of what I wanted. These 4 are the only Winchesters.

The other 1906 is a standard model in fair condition with a poor bore. The “thumb trigger” Model 99 is in above average shape  with a fair bore.

Thanks for your help. Information and opinions are what I am looking for.

GlennIMG-2893.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2894.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2895.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2896.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2907.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2917.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2918.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2919.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2920.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2921.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2922.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2923.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-2924.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
March 29, 2021 - 3:48 am

Hello Glenn,

Based on what I am seeing in those pictures of the rifles, they have all been refinished.  None of them are “collector” grade rifles.  The Model 1890 is an early 2nd Model, and it was originally case color finished.  Generally speaking, when you see what appears to be a much nicer looking exterior finish with a poor bore, that is a clear clue that the gun has been refinished.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
March 29, 2021 - 3:55 am

[email protected] said
The “thumb trigger” Model 99 is in above average shape  with a fair bore.

THAT is the rare one!

Those others with the badly refinished stocks…buy them cheap or not at all.

Forum Posts: 2119
March 29, 2021 - 5:00 am

As Bert mentioned, they have all been refinished, including the Thumbtrigger (at least the stock) which hurts the collector value so take that into consideration when you decide to purchase.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Forum Posts: 2119
March 29, 2021 - 5:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

clarence said

THAT is the rare one!

Well, not really rare, they made much fewer 1906 Expert models than Model 99 Thumbtriggers.  For that matter, they made 3 times as many Thumbtriggers as Model 75 Sporting rifles.

It is just that it is easier to find 06 Experts (and 75 Sporting rifles) in better shape than Thumbtriggers due to the original price differential.  The Model 99 Thumbtrigger was probably the cheapest (cost-wise) Winchester rifle ever made and owners treated them accordingly.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 42
March 29, 2021 - 12:34 pm

Thanks guys,

What you have told me is what I was thinking but I just was not sure.

I very much appreciate and value your opinions and advice and I will save my money for something later down the road.

Have a great day,

Glenn

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
March 29, 2021 - 5:32 pm

JWA said

Well, not really rare, they made much fewer 1906 Expert models than Model 99 Thumbtriggers.  For that matter, they made 3 times as many Thumbtriggers as Model 75 Sporting rifles.

Read somewhere that most of these went to South America.  But even if produced in significant numbers, doesn’t their low survival rate make them comparatively rare, or scarce, now?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
March 29, 2021 - 6:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

clarence said

JWA said

Read somewhere that most of these went to South America.  But even if produced in significant numbers, doesn’t their low survival rate make them comparatively rare, or scarce, now?  

You know me Clarence. I do not collect beaters, but sometime, you just have to go with the flow. I have a Thumb Trigger in about 60% condition, and that is mostly how they are found. I paid through the nose to get it as it does not have the usual cracked stock, and the bore? well, lets just say it has one. Also, it has never been refinished like most have been. Someday, I hope to upgrade, but that will not be an easy task. These little rifles are very hard to find in any condition. Big Larry2-Thumb-Trigger.jpgImage Enlarger That is not mine.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: mrcvs, TR, Randycrockett, Woody P, Chris Scott, Paul K, DanTomGreg
Guest(s) 209
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307
mrcvs: 1728