Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1890 semi-deluxe
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 239
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 20, 2023 - 8:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Picked this one up this weekend:

1919 (I believe) model 1890 semi-deluxe chambered in 22 long rifle. It’s the highest condition deluxe/semi-deluxe 1890 I have and I believe it to be original. It’s clear someone carried it and held it a lot based on blueing wear to the lower tang and the receiver belly and “carry points” but seems to otherwise retain just about all of its finish. It even has the tin remaining on the front sight bead which I’ve not seen before in person . 

https://i.postimg.cc/Bn43FJCT/C82614-B8-E6-E3-4705-83-A9-3-FFCBF7276-CE.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.postimg.cc/fRCNj1H6/D1-F5-C2-C4-E181-4-AA8-A57-A-E02-BE6926649.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
WACA Member
March 21, 2023 - 8:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Chuck said
Tried to lighten these up.

I appreciate that Chuck, photos aren’t my forte. I certainly haven’t done the condition justice with my pictures but will likely try again in the correct conditions.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
March 22, 2023 - 12:51 am

Great looking semi-deluxe Joel. Curious what the serial number is as I have 633077 in a long rifle. Due to the start of the 22 Long Rifle offering and the end of the “1890” model designation, I don’t think the LRs that are still marked Model 1890 are very abundant. Just a cool factor for me, I guess.

IMG_3290.jpgImage Enlarger

By the way, I don’t think we talk about 1890/90s near enough on this forum. They are lovely little rifles. 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 296
March 22, 2023 - 2:16 am

Congrats! A very nice 1890! 22LR and Deluxe, hard to find.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
March 22, 2023 - 2:43 am

Looks like a keeper, Joel. Congrats. 
I agree, Gary. I like shooting my Winchester .22’s and would like to read more about them here. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
March 22, 2023 - 2:24 pm

pdog72 said
Great looking semi-deluxe Joel. Curious what the serial number is as I have 633077 in a long rifle. Due to the start of the 22 Long Rifle offering and the end of the “1890” model designation, I don’t think the LRs that are still marked Model 1890 are very abundant. Just a cool factor for me, I guess.

IMG_3290.jpgImage Enlarger

By the way, I don’t think we talk about 1890/90s near enough on this forum. They are lovely little rifles. 

Gary,

This one is serial number 629247, so as you’d correctly guessed – its very close to yours. Is yours also a special order rifle?

This rifle’s barrel address has the full “1890” model designation and the “22 LONG R” chambering designation. 

I too believe this configuration to be a less common transitional style, before the model designation was dropped to “90”.

Rimfires don’t seem to get a lot of forum discussion traction here, but have always been high on my list of collecting interests. 

CJ and Mike,

Thanks for the comments and compliments!

WACA Member
March 22, 2023 - 4:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Joel, you are correct that this 1919 gun was manufactured early on during the transition from Model 1890 to Model 90.  I have no idea what was the first 90 serial number for these but yours is pretty early. I had an 1890 ser. #624548 in Long that was made in 1919.  At one time I had a small collection of these guns. I bought my 90 LR from Larry Shennum in 2006.  He always had some nice 1890’s.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
March 23, 2023 - 2:10 am

Gary,

This one is serial number 629247, so as you’d correctly guessed – its very close to yours. Is yours also a special order rifle?

This rifle’s barrel address has the full “1890” model designation and the “22 LONG R” chambering designation. 

I too believe this configuration to be a less common transitional style, before the model designation was dropped to “90”.

Rimfires don’t seem to get a lot of forum discussion traction here, but have always been high on my list of collecting interests. 

CJ and Mike,

Thanks for the comments and compliments!

Mine is just a standard rifle, but I’ve always liked the fact that it’s an early long rifle and a late M1890. It was one my father’s guns and a great shooter. I do have quite a few other 1890/90s, one full deluxe, one semi-deluxe and a plain pistol grip half nickel. Most of the others are just nice examples of the different variations. They are all very appealing to me. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
March 23, 2023 - 6:54 pm

Gary, these guns are really fun to shoot.  I only have 2 now.  Both in WRF.  One is a solid frame and the other one was my Grandfather’s gun.  In the 70’s and 80’s WRF was so hard to find.  We had a lot of ammo from the 40’s and 50’s and would go out in the desert and plink away.  My Dad found a box in the mid 80’s and had to pay $15.  He came home so excited and said the guy didn’t know what he had.  Actually the 1984 boxes could be found for around $7.

WACA Member
March 23, 2023 - 7:58 pm

pdog72 said

Mine is just a standard rifle, but I’ve always liked the fact that it’s an early long rifle and a late M1890. It was one my father’s guns and a great shooter. I do have quite a few other 1890/90s, one full deluxe, one semi-deluxe and a plain pistol grip half nickel. Most of the others are just nice examples of the different variations. They are all very appealing to me. 

I want to buy each that I see but am able to justify buying more if there is some variation. Caliber, configuration, variations in barrel stamping… it all may just be an excuse!

WACA Member
March 23, 2023 - 9:18 pm

Chuck said
Gary, these guns are really fun to shoot.  I only have 2 now.  Both in WRF.  One is a solid frame and the other one was my Grandfather’s gun.  In the 70’s and 80’s WRF was so hard to find.  We had a lot of ammo from the 40’s and 50’s and would go out in the desert and plink away.  My Dad found a box in the mid 80’s and had to pay $15.  He came home so excited and said the guy didn’t know what he had.  Actually the 1984 boxes could be found for around $7.

A picked up a deluxe in 22 WRF 10-12 years ago that shoots unbelievably well. Ammo seemed to be very pricey so I watched auctions for a while until I landed a few bricks. Enough to make me feel I had enough… Until I lucked into a very clean semi-deluxe with tang peep – also in 22 WRF. And wound up with more mouths to feed. I buy the WRF anytime I find it “below market prices”. 

These ole rifles are shooters.

WACA Member
March 24, 2023 - 5:23 pm

jsgwoodsman said

A picked up a deluxe in 22 WRF 10-12 years ago that shoots unbelievably well. Ammo seemed to be very pricey so I watched auctions for a while until I landed a few bricks. Enough to make me feel I had enough… Until I lucked into a very clean semi-deluxe with tang peep – also in 22 WRF. And wound up with more mouths to feed. I buy the WRF anytime I find it “below market prices”. 

These ole rifles are shooters.

I was lucky some years back.  A local man owned 2 gun stores and bought cases of this ammo.  Every once in a while he would sell the Winchester 1984 half bricks for $20.  I stocked up.   I have very little of the CCI because this is what I shoot first.  Don’t have any of the 1994 manufactured boxes.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Jeremy P, SureShot
Guest(s) 185
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250