Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1890 pics of first model 22 long
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 1, 2017 - 11:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The latest acquisition for restoration. I am pleased with the condition of the metal overall. Most of the original finish remains in pretty good condition. The bore is a very shootable 6-7. The lands are relatively sharp however the grooves are rough. I did shoot a handful of 2″ spinner targets @ 30 yards and connected 5-5. The barrel needs a very light facing cut just to true it up .005-.0010″  The receiver has a small hairline crack that will have to be tig welded and redone with fresh CCH. It is complete and functional. It has aftermarket wood that was fitted by someone who was clueless as how to fit a stock. I do have a couple nice 2nd model butt stocks that will need minor fitting along with some original forearms in VG condition. It is all correct with the “broken D” lettering on the barrel and the lifter has not been altered.  I picked it up off GB, it was not properly advertised as a first modelLaughto my benefit!IMG_2324.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2326.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2327.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2328.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_2329.JPGImage Enlarger

Erin

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Posts: 2113
November 1, 2017 - 11:24 pm

Congrats!  First models are getting harder and harder to find.

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
November 2, 2017 - 2:02 am

JWA said
Congrats!  First models are getting harder and harder to find.

Regards,  

Still plenty of shorts around  but WRF’s & longs are few and far between……..And go very high in price.

Erin

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
November 2, 2017 - 4:49 am

Erin,

Oddly enough, there is a very nice high condition First Model 1890 in 22 Long coming up in the December Rock Island auction… https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/359/winchester-model-1890-first-model-casehardened-solid-frame-rifle#detail

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
November 2, 2017 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Erin,
Oddly enough, there is a very nice high condition First Model 1890 in 22 Long coming up in the December Rock Island auction… https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/359/winchester-model-1890-first-model-casehardened-solid-frame-rifle#detail
Bert  

I feel very good about mine, The second paragraph lists the rock Island one  as restored and they are still estimating $5,500-$8,500. Something is not quite right with the barrel markings on the RI one. It is serial # 14807 and does not have the broken D. I have serial # 14975 and it does have the broken D on the lettering. Maybe they recut the lettering during the restoration and did not know any better???  I gave $650.00 for the one I bought!  I will invest about 50 hrs. of my labor into the project, start to finish. Not a bad hourly rate for a hobby.Wink(even though I will never see the return)  The metal work on mine will be a breeze so it will be a fairly easy restoration.

Best,

Erin

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
November 2, 2017 - 1:48 pm

I’m a little puzzled by the prices “professionally restored” items seem to be bringing. I suspect this sector of the market will grow as time goes on. The ones I’ve seen seem to be going for approximately the cost of a professional restoration, sometimes less. Reminds me a bit of the classic and antique auto auctions I used to attend. The lettering looks to me like it has been touched up. Could be the pics but the “U”‘s are shaped a bit different and the lines to the side a bit uneven, for example.  

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
November 2, 2017 - 3:14 pm

I believe the scarcity of the caliber and low production #’s is the influence of the price on these first models. There just isn’t many out there chambered in 22 long or WRF. If you are looking for a nice specimen, a restoration may be the best option as they come up for sale so rarely. To find one in original condition similar to the one at the RI auction would be a real stroke of luck.(with a price tag to match) These little rifles were the grocery getters, so to speak, and were used hard. Finding one that wasn’t, being 125 years old would be very lucky indeed. Less than 2,000 of each of the WRF and long were produced. How many survived??……. If I had a $5.00 bill for every time I entered a search for 1890 on the computer, I could of retired long ago. Just kiddin!

Best,

Erin

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
November 2, 2017 - 8:38 pm

It seems to me that high condition Model 1890 rifles in original condition are very hard to come across, but I don’t make many big gun shows.

James

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 140
November 16, 2017 - 4:39 pm

Erin Grivicich said
I believe the scarcity of the caliber and low production #’s is the influence of the price on these first models. There just isn’t many out there chambered in 22 long or WRF. If you are looking for a nice specimen, a restoration may be the best option as they come up for sale so rarely. To find one in original condition similar to the one at the RI auction would be a real stroke of luck.(with a price tag to match) These little rifles were the grocery getters, so to speak, and were used hard. Finding one that wasn’t, being 125 years old would be very lucky indeed. Less than 2,000 of each of the WRF and long were produced. How many survived??……. If I had a $5.00 bill for every time I entered a search for 1890 on the computer, I could of retired long ago. Just kiddin!

Best,

Erin  

I have 7 1890’s including 1st issue #2693 in SHORT with tang peep (left warehouse 06/22/1891). All total I have 3 SHORT, 3 WRF’s, and 1 LONG.

There is a good thread on the “Broken D” at: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437495&highlight=twoponies

WACA Guest
November 17, 2017 - 3:05 am

Renegade,

Thanks for the link, It appears to me after reading the thread that Winchester evidently had at least 2 roll dies for the first models. I have 4 first models and all have the “broken D”   Serial #’s range from 9194 to as high as 14975

Erin

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 140
November 17, 2017 - 4:35 am

Erin Grivicich said
Renegade,

Thanks for the link, It appears to me after reading the thread that Winchester evidently had at least 2 roll dies for the first models. I have 4 first models and all have the “broken D”   Serial #’s range from 9194 to as high as 14975

Erin  

I have had several conversations with “TwoPonies” and bought his pocket manual on the 1890. Yes, it appears the very early #’s did NOT have the broken “D” and then it seems to dominate known samples and then was mixed results again. Glad you liked it.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: freebird1968
Guest(s) 207
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261