Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 121
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 26, 2017 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I saw an 1890 today in .22WRF that is total nickel, I believe.  I was reading in Schwing’s book and he was saying that Winchester did total nickels and total silver on some of these guns, both are rare, but how rare?  He said lots of collectors will mistaken total silver guns for nickel guns.  How to tell?  I believe its nickel cause it does not have the look of grandma’s silver when it patina’s.  The gun does have a few issues i.e. extra hole in top tang and the mag. slips out of the receiver when racked, that is an easy fix.  The hole in the top tang will just have to stay, it is threaded so probably for a tang.  Did Winchester put extra holes in the top tang?  I cannot find in my readings where this was done and does not look like Winchester did it.  No big deal.  The gun shop does not want very much at all for the gun but this is the shop that I have made some great buys.  Sometimes he doesn’t know what he has and I snag them up.  Just wondering if this is another diamond in the ruff that I can grab for really cheap but I need help on this one.  I’m still learning and open to suggestions and advice.  Serial 204808  Thanks.           

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
September 26, 2017 - 9:36 pm

Winchester nut said 
     The gun shop does not want very much at all for the gun…

What’s “not very much at all”?  Rare if original nickel, though I’ve never had a yen for anything nickled, which all too often is flaking in places.  

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
September 26, 2017 - 10:04 pm

I’m wrong about the caliber its .22 WRM.  There is no flaking and I have called Winchester for a serial number look-up today.  I’m suspicious that its re-nickeled cause it being made in 1904 there is no flaking at all.  Just doesn’t match other early nickels I have seen.  They want 299.99 and I have bought lots of guns from this guy so Ill walk with it, if I buy it, for 250-275.    

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
September 26, 2017 - 10:51 pm

Winchester nut said
I’m wrong about the caliber its .22 WRM.  There is no flaking and I have called Winchester for a serial number look-up today.  I’m suspicious that its re-nickeled cause it being made in 1904 there is no flaking at all.  Just doesn’t match other early nickels I have seen.  They want 299.99 and I have bought lots of guns from this guy so Ill walk with it, if I buy it, for 250-275.      

Hello from Houston,

The Model 1890 was never offered in .22 WMR so something really does not fit here.  Approximately .5% of Model 1890 rifles that were made with some finish other than case hardened or blued.   It the gun is truly after factory plated and has a “holey” upper tang it has NO collector value.  So then it just comes down to what you want and are willing to pay for it.  The risk of getting you $$ back at a later date is higher.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
September 26, 2017 - 11:10 pm

IMHO. I would walk away from this rifle. Do not ever buy a gun you have to make excuses for. Even $299 is too much to pay. I have a fairly nice one in 22 Long that was given to me by a retired movie double in 1959. Mostly brown, but has some receiver blue. Bores is bad, but it is still accurate for a 22 Long. Big Larry

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
September 27, 2017 - 12:17 am

Here are some pics of this 90′ I saw today.  Man I have it all screwed up, it is a .22WRF.  This gun obviously has issues but the complete nickel is what caught my eye, especially just after reading in Schwing’s book about the rarity.  I know sometimes you can overlook problems with a gun because of rarity.  I just don’t know how much to overlook yet.  Still learning.  Thanks for yalls replies.  I’m not much on this computer stuff still what is IMHO Mr. Big Larry?

nickel-1890-2.JPGImage Enlargernickel-1890-3.JPGImage Enlargernickel-1890-4.JPGImage Enlargernickel-1890.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2307
September 27, 2017 - 12:26 am

WN,

That is not nickel but rather a lousy “pimp my rifle” chrome plated disaster.    I wouldn’t pay $100 for it.  Save you money for a MUCH better common rifle and you will be far happier.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
September 27, 2017 - 1:18 am

Ok, I’m learning, I thought something did not seem right with this rifle.  That was great advice from Mr. Big Larry that when you start out with having to defend and make excuses for the gun your already messing up.  That’s why I like this forum cause of the constructive criticism.  Appreciate it.

WACA Member
September 27, 2017 - 3:54 pm

Winchester nut said
Ok, I’m learning, I thought something did not seem right with this rifle.  That was great advice from Mr. Big Larry that when you start out with having to defend and make excuses for the gun your already messing up.  That’s why I like this forum cause of the constructive criticism.  Appreciate it.  

I try to be gentle with buyers of perspective junk. I buy what I can afford and never buy a gun I have to make excuses for. Better to have a few real nice guns than a safe full of excuses. IMHO stands for “In my humble(or honest) opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not criticizing you, I am trying to get you started off in the right direction. I had a great mentor when I started collecting. His name was Blaine Hutchinson and he and his family owned a nice liquor store in El Cajon, Calif. right outside of San Diego. It had a real nice selection of guns, mostly high grade. Volcanics and Henrys too. I learned a lot from this gentleman. So, if I sound a little harsh, it is for your own good.  Big Larry

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
September 27, 2017 - 10:59 pm

Nice thing about a forum that it allows us to learn from our mistakes. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others but I’ve made my share, some have turned out OK but for the most part I wish I’d been more on top of the situation.

For some reason I like the looks of this old 1890 but I have no illusions about what it is.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
September 27, 2017 - 11:12 pm

When you see rounded corners and dished out screw holes and a extra hole in the model stamp its time to set it down and tell the seller its out of your price range (any money you spend on it is too much).

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
September 28, 2017 - 3:03 am

Well said, Bob. I hurt a man’s feelings once telling him how I felt about his rifle. We’re friends now but I’ve had to work at it for over a year. Eye of the beholder is an important concept in old Winchesters as well as other matters.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
September 30, 2017 - 5:18 pm

I really appreciate all the responses from everyone.  I wanted the rifle to be what I wanted it to be but its not.  Mr. Big Larry, Mr. GunNut and Mr. 1873man I take no offense at all.  I’m here to learn and this gun has taught me a lot.  I keep thinking of a thread a while back where this dude asked about a gun and he got all offended from the responses.  I’m not like that.  Thank you all for keeping me from making a bad buy, even as cheap as it was.  

WACA Member
September 30, 2017 - 9:53 pm

Stay with us. We will keep you honest and make you a good Winchester collector. Thank you. I am glad we didn’t offend you. Big Larry. Collector of anything that looks good.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: jolly bill, deerhunter, Chris Scott
Guest(s) 191
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263