Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 10, 2022 - 7:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Don , no bad news  to Me. We discussed and fondled the gun for 2 days as I was looking for a “deal”, that didn’t happen, however it was reasonable, so I bought it anyways, and yes I would have bought it even if it had been in the letterable range. I have a few guns here I know wouldn’t letter, like a deluxe p.g. saddle ring carbine in 32-40 with  2/3 mag., from 1929, but I like’em anyway.  Or the deluxe s.r.c. in .30-30  that letters as built in 1905 as a deluxe rifle in .32 sp. with an r. & r. order. There is a picture of a gun that closely resembles this one , in Madis’ book on the bottom of page 401, although it don’t mention a matted barrel. I guess We all like what We like eh.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 10, 2022 - 7:39 pm

That’s great Henry.  I’m glad you were able to negotiate a fair deal and did not get burned. Doubtful you’ll ever find another like it. That extra light full octagon barrel is a real eye-catcher.  The only thing I worry about is after it leaves your possession, will it be touted as a factory orginal??

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
October 10, 2022 - 10:59 pm

deerhunter said
That’s great Henry.  I’m glad you were able to negotiate a fair deal and did not get burned. Doubtful you’ll ever find another like it. That extra light full octagon barrel is a real eye-catcher.  The only thing I worry about is after it leaves your possession, will it be touted as a factory orginal??

Don

I don’t know how Henry can answer what someone else might do, unless you’re referring to him selling it ?

Rick C 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10851
October 10, 2022 - 11:15 pm

RickC said

deerhunter said

That’s great Henry.  I’m glad you were able to negotiate a fair deal and did not get burned. Doubtful you’ll ever find another like it. That extra light full octagon barrel is a real eye-catcher.  The only thing I worry about is after it leaves your possession, will it be touted as a factory original??

Don

I don’t know how Henry can answer what someone else might do, unless you’re referring to him selling it ?

Rick,

I am quite certain that Don’s question was purely rhetorical.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
October 10, 2022 - 11:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Don wrote ?? ?

Rick C 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 11, 2022 - 1:05 am

Bert H. said

RickC said

deerhunter said

That’s great Henry.  I’m glad you were able to negotiate a fair deal and did not get burned. Doubtful you’ll ever find another like it. That extra light full octagon barrel is a real eye-catcher.  The only thing I worry about is after it leaves your possession, will it be touted as a factory original??

Don

Rick,

I am quite certain that Don’s question was purely rhetorical.

Yes, a purely rhetorical question.  Although I would like to keep my Winchesters “forever,” but in reality, we all are just temporary caretakers and all of them will eventually change hands someday.  When that time comes, the truth behind the gun in question will likely be forgotten when all of us are gone.  That’s what I was getting at.

Don

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
October 11, 2022 - 1:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I’m convinced a growing percentage of collectors buy what they like with originality not necessarily a deal-breaker. I suspect as time goes on original guns will become more difficult to find and more collectors will settle for modified guns. I bought a modified 1895 at the Cody show. Quite honestly I could not tell but it is a very attractive gun and a much nicer gun than I expected to find for what I wanted to spend. I know some collectors will always try to buy unmodified guns, especially when paying top dollar for special guns.

Interesting thing about this gun is that as Bert pointed out the serial fell in a group of special guns. 

Mike

ETA: Seller told me this particular 1895 had been modified. Honesty and integrity indeed.

MH

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
October 12, 2022 - 1:11 pm

Buying what you like and appreciate does help with the sting of finding out, what you bought isn’t correct or was “modified”.  The biggest let down is discovering, “We got fooled”.  No one likes getting fooled or lied to.  That’s why it’s up to us to do our part to keep “Honesty and Integrity” foremost in our collecting and sharing of Winchesters.  If there isn’t “Honesty” there isn’t anything!   Just look at what has happened to our Great Country!!!   RDB

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, clarence, Zebulon, Jeremy P, Scott Bailey, Gulfcoastcowboy
Guest(s) 313
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2353
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727