Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1912
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 7, 2022 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

JEREMY S. said
just a friendly note.  The lower tang on the 1894 is removable. many other models are as well 1886, 1892 etc. thus if one swapped the lower tang as well  when they swapped wood then checking the assembly numbers would not validate a swapped butt stock as they would match. 

I thought the assembly numbers were stamped on the upper tang on 1894’s.  Am I correct or no?  The original receiver that the stocks were attached to did not have a set trigger so the lower tang came from a different gun anyway–whether originally connected to the current receiver or not.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
October 7, 2022 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

If the gun is not a special order or a fancy gun there won’t be assembly numbers on the tang, wood or butt plate.  Standard guns are not marked. Every gun I have ever owned I pulled the stock and butt plate.  But, I haven’t seen them all.  In Henry’s case they should be there.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
October 7, 2022 - 8:46 pm

the assembly numbers etc. are stamped on lower left tang in all but very rare cases.  depending on model and serial range some standard guns were marked. I was simply stating for those that are reading this thread  that going by the lower tang assembly numbers to match wood is not  a fool proof way to tell if wood was swapped.   I was not referring to Henry’s rifle specifically where we can obviously see it now has double set triggers but the last frame/lower tang did not. 

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
October 7, 2022 - 9:05 pm

This is one of the reasons I like the 73’s serial number on the tang and you can letter them. There are gunsmiths that made their living swapping parts around on Winchesters.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 7, 2022 - 9:08 pm

JEREMY S. said
the assembly numbers etc. are stamped on lower left tang in all but very rare cases.  depending on model and serial range some standard guns were marked. I was simply stating for those that are reading this thread  that going by the lower tang assembly numbers to match wood is not  a fool proof way to tell if wood was swapped.   I was not referring to Henry’s rifle specifically where we can obviously see it now has double set triggers but the last frame/lower tang did not. 

Thanks for clarifying that Jeremy.  I honestly have never removed the buttstock from any of my Winchesters.  They are all high condition guns and have been too afraid of messing up the wood.  I’ve seen way too many with slivers missing around the tang from mishaps.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 81
October 7, 2022 - 9:37 pm

deerhunter said

JEREMY S. said

Thanks for clarifying that Jeremy.  I honestly have never removed the buttstock from any of my Winchesters.  They are all high condition guns and have been too afraid of messing up the wood.  I’ve seen way too many with slivers missing around the tang from mishaps.

Don

thanks Don. yes  I too have seen planty of wood chips/slivers missing. it takes the proper well made screw driver and a very steady hand. many are very tight and some never taken off. extra care holding around the grip  with one hand and a firm nudge at comb with other will get it free. then guiding it  off very carefully. infact many slivers are caused by access gunk build up around wood and metal like glue . when the wood is being pulled from metal the gunk can stay stuck to metal and pull little slivers of wood with it. 

Jeremy Scott.

WACA LIFE MEMBER, CFM MEMBER, ABKA MEMBER, JSSC MEMBER, MNO HISTORIAN 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
October 7, 2022 - 11:30 pm

The sad truth on this subject, it happens a lot with non-letterable 1894s and goes back for years. Wood and metal parts are made to such close tolerance during that time period that many times parts are interchangeable without any fitting. The use of donor guns is common, mix and match to get a increase in it’s value.  It is common to upgrade the condition of a deluxe.

You can’t rely on assembly numbers because they are removed and or added to wood. The same books you and I look at to tell if a gun is right is read by the person swapping parts. You have to hope the guy doing the upgrades is not good at it. The first step to prevent being taken is to understand what can be done. The second step is looking very close and yes you might have to use a screwdriver. I do it on most of the Winchesters and all the Colts I buy. T/R   

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
October 8, 2022 - 11:20 am

mrcvs said

deerhunter said

Beautiful and rare rifle, but parts of it look awfully familiar.  I hate being a bearer of any bad news so hoping I’m wrong. See link below.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/rare-1894-on-gunbroker/

Don

If it wasn’t for Don’s great detective work, would there have been ANY indication, using the photographs provided, that the rifle Henry purchased wasn’t the real deal?

This is rather disturbing and makes you wonder how many Winchester rifles in the non letterable range are complete fabrications.

I too, agree it is disturbing.  I wonder how big the iceberg really is out there?  As most of us noted, this gun looked completely legit.  And in a way, it is legit – no parts have been faked or fabricated.  It is all Winchester.  This iceberg of course is how many rifles like this are out there.  With a rifle like this, it can sit in someone’s collection for years as a pride and joy piece.  Lots of other highly knowledgeable collectors visiting could hold it in their hands and all agree the piece is both wonderful, possibly one of a kind, and right as rain.  And then, someone happens to discover it previously existed in a different configuration.  What do you then?  For me, I’m going to feel a whole lot different about it.  True, the rifle still has a lot going for it.  But I won’t feel the same.  And what do I do with it?  My best guess is it would be resold as a completely original piece.  No, I’m not saying I would resell it as such.  The likely scenario is it would sit in my safe until I expire and my estate would ship it (and others) off to an auction house.  It would arrive there, they would write up a description and it would likely sell for very high dollars.  The auction house wouldn’t detect anything out of place.  This is an example of the many pieces get recirculated.  The auction houses are filled with them.  For me, it serves as a reinforcement to caveat emptor when it comes to pieces not in the letterable range.  As has been suggested here, the practice of swapping parts to upgrade has long been in place and only escalating as more money becomes involved. 

I’m pondering, “caveat emptor” when it comes to this piece.  I don’t know how that would have been helpful for any of us in Henry’s spot.  Sure – look it over very carefully – and it likely would have passed the test for all of us.  It’s not been masterfully refinished.  It’s all Winchester! 

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 8, 2022 - 2:56 pm

steve004 said

mrcvs said

deerhunter said

Beautiful and rare rifle, but parts of it look awfully familiar.  I hate being a bearer of any bad news so hoping I’m wrong. See link below.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/rare-1894-on-gunbroker/

Don

If it wasn’t for Don’s great detective work, would there have been ANY indication, using the photographs provided, that the rifle Henry purchased wasn’t the real deal?

This is rather disturbing and makes you wonder how many Winchester rifles in the non letterable range are complete fabrications.

I too, agree it is disturbing.  I wonder how big the iceberg really is out there?  As most of us noted, this gun looked completely legit.  And in a way, it is legit – no parts have been faked or fabricated.  It is all Winchester.  This iceberg of course is how many rifles like this are out there.  With a rifle like this, it can sit in someone’s collection for years as a pride and joy piece.  Lots of other highly knowledgeable collectors visiting could hold it in their hands and all agree the piece is both wonderful, possibly one of a kind, and right as rain.  And then, someone happens to discover it previously existed in a different configuration.  What do you then?  For me, I’m going to feel a whole lot different about it.  True, the rifle still has a lot going for it.  But I won’t feel the same.  And what do I do with it?  My best guess is it would be resold as a completely original piece.  No, I’m not saying I would resell it as such.  The likely scenario is it would sit in my safe until I expire and my estate would ship it (and others) off to an auction house.  It would arrive there, they would write up a description and it would likely sell for very high dollars.  The auction house wouldn’t detect anything out of place.  This is an example of the many pieces get recirculated.  The auction houses are filled with them.  For me, it serves as a reinforcement to caveat emptor when it comes to pieces not in the letterable range.  As has been suggested here, the practice of swapping parts to upgrade has long been in place and only escalating as more money becomes involved. 

I’m pondering, “caveat emptor” when it comes to this piece.  I don’t know how that would have been helpful for any of us in Henry’s spot.  Sure – look it over very carefully – and it likely would have passed the test for all of us.  It’s not been masterfully refinished.  It’s all Winchester! 

This is a prime example of the benefits of those conducting the research surveys.  Look at how many altered1892’s Michael (twobit) has discovered and shared.  Don’t even get him started on model 61’s….Unfortunately for Henry with the case of the two 1894’s involved, neither of the serial numbers were documented in any surveys yet to detect the fraud, but they are now.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
October 8, 2022 - 3:25 pm

deerhunter said
This is a prime example of the benefits of those conducting the research surveys.  Look at how many altered1892’s Michael (twobit) has discovered and shared.  Don’t even get him started on model 61’s….Unfortunately for Henry with the case of the two 1894’s involved, neither of the serial numbers were documented in any surveys yet to detect the fraud, but they are now.

Don

I know some collectors only collect Winchesters that are letterable.  I understand that strategy.  Don mentions the Model 61.  With the, “only letterable” strategy, that means you will never collect Model 61’s (or a whole lot of other collectable Winchesters).  The Model 61 is an interesting example as there are many wonderful variations (e.g. smoothbores, octagon barrels, different chamberings and so on).  And as Don suggests, Michael has uncovered a raft of fakery in M61’s.  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
October 8, 2022 - 5:44 pm

I’m getting more and more uncomfortable the more I read these kinds of threads. I just looked and I have 11 1894s outside the letterable range, with 7 of them being take-downs. Takedowns can certainly be mix and matched much easier than solid frames. Of those 11, four are deluxes, and one is even a matted barrel. Makes me wonder what I really have some days. Confused

As for the examples that are put together not matching their original configuration, I agree with what many of you are alluding to. Most of them will never be proven incorrect or even suspected as such unless they are surveyed (twice) or just happen to be a topic on one of these forums. Henrys example really blows my mind that it was just discussed on here a few months ago and is already morphed into something different (better) today. I like assembly numbers, and certainly look at them on everything special order that I own but as TR mentioned the numbers in the wood can be modified fairly easy. Also, on my back in time wish list is – it sure would have been beneficial to have numbers on the takedown extension to match receiver …… and while they were at it, add that number to the barrels too. Ok, back to reality …… we don’t have any of that. Good luck out there, guys. 

Oh, the possibilities they have …. one piece at a time. 

Johnny Cash – One Piece at a Time (Official Audio) – Bing video

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
October 8, 2022 - 7:22 pm

They put the serial numbers on both parts of the model 90’s. Makes me wonder why didn’t continue it with the later takedowns.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
October 8, 2022 - 9:45 pm

Many of the guns that have slivers missing are not from taking them apart but from impact on a very thin part of the wood.  If you grab the stock just behind the tang and wiggle it up and down slightly while pulling straight back they will eventually break loose.  Don’t ever force it and I don’t put pressure on the sides of the inletting.  I’ve never owned a Winchester that I haven’t pulled the stock.  When I can I pull the stock on deluxe guns before I pay big bucks.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 9, 2022 - 3:03 am

1873man said
They put the serial numbers on both parts of the model 90’s. Makes me wonder why didn’t continue it with the later takedowns.

Bob

Winchester did serialize both halves on all of the Slide-action models shotguns & .22 caliber rifles) and on the semi-auto models.  The lever-actions Take Downs were not for an unknown reason.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Posts: 2113
October 9, 2022 - 5:39 am

Bert H. said

Winchester did serialize both halves on all of the Slide-action models shotguns & .22 caliber rifles) and on the semi-auto models.  The lever-actions Take Downs were not for an unknown reason.”

Ok, this is the 2nd time I have seen it mentioned in this thread so I have to step in and correct it for posterity, Winchester did not number both the receiver and the tang on the early model 1890’s, they only numbered the tang on the 1st models (solid frame) and very early 2nd models and the receiver (front half) was not numbered.  After that the policy was changed and then both halves were numbered.

Just a point of clarification from a .22 guy.

Best Regards,

PS, Bert knew this but just forgot… 😉 https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winchester-1890-no-visible-serial-number-value-28541926.html

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
October 9, 2022 - 10:18 am

steve004 said
It’s difficult for me to view a rifle as, “one of a kind” or a, “special configuration” when it’s been assembled with swapped parts. 

Maybe a one of a kind barrel ?(26” elw matted).

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
October 9, 2022 - 2:16 pm

Word to the wise…

Given how much these rifles are being monkeyed with, maybe it’s best to present a prospective purchase to forum members BEFORE any money exchanges hands…and we’ll let you know our collective opinion.

Yes, there is always the risk we decide it’s pretty good, and swipe it ourselves, but with the high dollars involved, this is unlikely.  Plus, this “risk” is far lesser than the possibility of being snookered.

I’m amazed at the detective work deerhunter did.  I certainly would have been fooled by this one as well.  But I wouldn’t have been snookered, as the damage to the stock would have scared me away long before reaching for my wallet.  Unless the price was ridiculously low.  In which case the discount for not being original wouldn’t really matter.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
October 9, 2022 - 2:31 pm

Excellent advice but hard to do sometimes, more so at a gun show when the next collector is behind you coming that way. Personally I would be asking the forum. This just proves how valuable the forum and its members are. Many eyes are better than two. 

RickC

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
October 10, 2022 - 2:53 pm

Well , now that this gun has been poo-poo’ed and is undesireable as a collector piece to many I’ll bet non of the nay say’ers have one like it. I bought this gun at the Louisville show from a Winchester collector,  not jamessietsma,I won’t leave his name, however He offered Me a full money back guarantee,  if I’m not happy with the gun . Well I still got it and I am happy with it, like I said I’ve never seen another one like it and it looks like the “real deal”, being unrefinished etc. The fact it is on a donor receiver or vice versa don’t bother Me, it is what it is. The stock is not cracked , it is broken right in two. We talked for 2 days and I had the opportunity to take the gun apart and negotiated the price accordingly. So there was no fraud going on and no one got “snookered”, jeez I ain’t blind. I did get a gun that “I” wanted.  Now I need to find a capable man to repair the broken stock , if any of You have any suggestions. Thank You for Your observations although I don’t care for the speculations, this is the only place to go for the wisdom and experience in the field of Winchester collecting, We should try to keep it reasonably professional.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
October 10, 2022 - 5:41 pm

Hi Henry,

Like I said in my first post, I hate being the bearer of bad news, but if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.  You’re right about never seeing another like it.  The Gunbroker version is the first full octagon extra light matted barrel straight grip deluxe 1894 I had ever seen.  That’s actually how I tied the two together.  What are the odds that two of these would show up for sale within a month or so?  One question I have is: was the alteration disclosed by the seller (and priced accordingly) at time of your purchase?  Another question is: if this gun were in the letterable range, would you still have bought it knowing that it didn’t letter?

Don

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346