Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Original Winchester Catalog No. 53 from November 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1911
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 9, 2021 - 5:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I was lucky enough to pick this up yesterday and it fits in perfectly with my 1894 collection.  The November 1894 Catalogue No. 53 was the first catalog offering the new model 1894.  Just some age spots on the cover, but in overall excellent condition.  Pretty cool piece of history.

P1070742.JPGImage EnlargerP1070745.JPGImage EnlargerP1070746.JPGImage EnlargerP1070748.JPGImage Enlarger

Don

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
May 9, 2021 - 6:38 pm

deerhunter said
I was lucky enough to pick this up yesterday and it fits in perfectly with my 1894 collection.  The November 1894 Catalogue No. 53 was the first catalog offering the new model 1894.  Just some age spots on the cover, but in overall excellent condition.  Pretty cool piece of history.

P1070742.JPGImage EnlargerP1070745.JPGImage EnlargerP1070746.JPGImage EnlargerP1070748.JPGImage Enlarger

Don  

Don – cool is a vast understatement – all the years I collected Winchester levers I never looked for or owned supporting documentation like this – I regret that. Thank you for sharing – it made my day. I wonder if I could get the $34.50 back?

943.JPGImage Enlarger942.JPGImage Enlarger941.JPGImage Enlarger

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
May 9, 2021 - 11:51 pm

Very nice Don. Original catalogs like that are a fine addition to a collection. And that one is in great condition.

Stunning deluxe Burt. Love the caliber and I’m a sucker for shiny nitre blue on the loading gates. Burt, if you’re that hard up, I’ll drop a cheque in the mail tomorrow for the $34.50…

Matt

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 2:28 am

Burt Humphrey said

Don – cool is a vast understatement – all the years I collected Winchester levers I never looked for or owned supporting documentation like this – I regret that. Thank you for sharing – it made my day. I wonder if I could get the $34.50 back?

943.JPGImage Enlarger942.JPGImage Enlarger941.JPGImage Enlarger  

Thanks Burt.  This is the only original catalog I’ve acquired, but it’s a special one.  I was tickled to find it since my collection focus is the model 1894.   Your 1894 is absolutely gorgeous and in an awesome caliber.  Thanks for sharing!!

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
May 10, 2021 - 11:19 am

Don,

Great catalog. I really like the extras that enhance our collecting experience.  I noticed the checkering pattern on the pistol grip of the Fancy Sporting rifle in the catalog is not the H style that we see on the Fancy Sporting Rifles they produced, Interesting.

Burt, that is one beautiful 1894.  If you ever tire of it let me know.Laugh

Al

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
May 10, 2021 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Burt, What a great find. Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting that in the picture of the carbine and rifles the Carbine and Fancy Sporting  rifle appear to be First Model receivers and the Sporting rifle the revised version.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 2:29 pm

tionesta1 said
Don,

Great catalog. I really like the extras that enhance our collecting experience.  I noticed the checkering pattern on the pistol grip of the Fancy Sporting rifle in the catalog is not the H style that we see on the Fancy Sporting Rifles they produced, Interesting.

Burt, that is one beautiful 1894.  If you ever tire of it let me know.Laugh

Al  

Al, that is very interesting. I have seen a couple Winchesters over the years with the exact same pattern, and of course, assumed it was not factory.  I cannot find an example of this checkering in any of my Winchester literature, it reminds me of some Marlin checkering. Wondering, just off the top of my head, if Winchester had planned on using this style checkering, maybe a few got out the door, then they decided it looked too much like Marlin’s work, and they came out with the H style. I mean, there it is, in an actual Winchester Catalog, the holy grail showing us what’s was offered by the Company. Be interesting to see their second catalog, see if the picture is the same, or if it was changed.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 2:35 pm

I just checked my Marlin Brophy book, it looks the same as Marlin’s No B checkering. I would upload an imagine, but not sure how to here.

Matt

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 2:47 pm

That is very interesting regarding the checkering.  I hadn’t noticed that detail until Al mentioned it.  Like Matt mentioned, I have seen that checkering pattern on a few Winchesters but always assumed it was aftermarket checkering.  However, it seems that checkering was on later production guns so probably was aftermarket. I did notice the first and second model receivers being pictured though and thought that was odd.  I would expect all photos to be first model receivers.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
May 10, 2021 - 5:58 pm

Don, is this catalog stapled together?  Who is the publisher?  I want this information for my records.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 6:31 pm

Chuck said
Don, is this catalog stapled together?  Who is the publisher?  I want this information for my records.  

Hi Chuck, there are 2 staples on the inside of the cover.  I’ll check for the publisher when I get home from work.

Don

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 7:02 pm

deerhunter said
That is very interesting regarding the checkering.  I hadn’t noticed that detail until Al mentioned it.  Like Matt mentioned, I have seen that checkering pattern on a few Winchesters but always assumed it was aftermarket checkering.  However, it seems that checkering was on later production guns so probably was aftermarket. I did notice the first and second model receivers being pictured though and thought that was odd.  I would expect all photos to be first model receivers.

Don  

That’s true, I never thought I thought through that far. The ones I have seen would very likely have been later production guns, but I cannot confirm 100% because it was a long time ago. Maybe this checkering was to be used, but then decided to change to the H style to differentiate from Marlin, and to maybe be more competitive price wise. Again, just guesses. I do find it very interesting.

Don, maybe you should bring this intriguing photo up separately in another part of the forum where, even if we don’t get an authoritative answer, we may get more insight from more folks who don’t necessarily browse this part of the forum as much as ofhers.

WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 7:30 pm

Matt74 said

That’s true, I never thought I thought through that far. The ones I have seen would very likely have been later production guns, but I cannot confirm 100% because it was a long time ago. Maybe this checkering was to be used, but then decided to change to the H style to differentiate from Marlin, and to maybe be more competitive price wise. Again, just guesses. I do find it very interesting.

Don, maybe you should bring this intriguing photo up separately in another part of the forum where, even if we don’t get an authoritative answer, we may get more insight from more folks who don’t necessarily browse this part of the forum as much as others.  

From the 1916 catalog – my gun is 1904.

1916catalog-1.jpgImage Enlarger94check.jpgImage Enlarger94ltr.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 7:39 pm

Matt74 said
I just checked my Marlin Brophy book, it looks the same as Marlin’s No B checkering. I would upload an imagine, but not sure how to here.

Matt  

Matt – take a photo with your cell phone, save it and then send it as an attachment to a reply.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
May 10, 2021 - 7:48 pm

Matt74 said

Don, maybe you should bring this intriguing photo up separately in another part of the forum where, even if we don’t get an authoritative answer, we may get more insight from more folks who don’t necessarily browse this part of the forum as much as others.  

That is a good suggestion.  When I get home later I’ll post in another part of the forum and include some additional photos.  Curiosity is killing me now.  I’m wondering what checkering pattern is pictured on the deluxe 1892s.

Don

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 7:54 pm

55900CD5-C371-4AFB-B9F6-E1E2C70316AD.jpegImage Enlarger

Here is a pic of Marlin’s No 2 checkering.  The checkering on the buttstock is very similar to that in the above catalog. Thanks Burt, just didn’t see that attachment button.

matt 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6365
May 10, 2021 - 8:16 pm

Matt74 said

Here is a pic of Marlin’s No 2 checkering.  The checkering on the buttstock is very similar to that in the above catalog.

Minus that beautiful “S” curve PG that Marlin was noted for, going back to the Ballard.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
May 10, 2021 - 8:26 pm

deerhunter said

Hi Chuck, there are 2 staples on the inside of the cover.  I’ll check for the publisher when I get home from work.

Don  

Thanks.  I have a spread sheet and I update this info when I can find it.  I don’t have much info on the original catalogs but I believe that most of the pre 1900 ones are stapled.  This time period the printer was Springfield Printing and Binding Co. and then Press of Springfield Printing and Binding Company Springfield, Mass.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
May 10, 2021 - 8:33 pm

clarence said

Matt74 said

Here is a pic of Marlin’s No 2 checkering.  The checkering on the buttstock is very similar to that in the above catalog.

Minus that beautiful “S” curve PG that Marlin was noted for, going back to the Ballard.  

Clarence, those “S” curves are a thing of beauty. I always have been one for “curves”…?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
May 10, 2021 - 10:09 pm

Matt,

I too thought of Marlin when I saw the checkering in the catalog.  It would be interesting to see if appears this way in earlier catalogs.

Al

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, Manuel, Chris Scott, Ronc
Guest(s) 156
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322