Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
M1903 Springfield Rifle Seminar
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 14, 2017 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The Springfield Armory Alliance (Friends group to the Springfield Armory National Historic Site) is holding a seminar on the M1903 Springfield Rifle on November 4th, 1 to 4 P.M. at the Springfield Armory Museum, 1 Armory Square, Springfield, MA.  Noted firearms author Bruce Canfield will be the featured speaker along with Museum Curator Alex MacKenzie. Alliance members (one can join at the door), Smith & Wesson Employees and Collector Association members are free.  General public is $15.00, parking is free. This is our third firearms history program.

Forum Posts: 2113
October 15, 2017 - 3:41 pm

Awesome!  Thanks for the update.

I attended the previous program and joined the Springfield Armory Alliance based on your posting here and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and the museum afterward.  I wish I could attend the Bruce Canfield presentation but will be tied up that weekend.

Thanks for posting the information!

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2346
October 16, 2017 - 1:03 am

JWA said
Awesome!  Thanks for the update.

I attended the previous program and joined the Springfield Armory Alliance based on your posting here and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and the museum afterward.  I wish I could attend the Bruce Canfield presentation but will be tied up that weekend.

Thanks for posting the information!

Best Regards,  

Hey JWA. I didn’t know you were interested in the old M1903’s? Now that where my expertise used to be. I have owned many highly collectible M1903’s over the years. Just ask my good friend Bruce Canfield.      Big Larry

Forum Posts: 2113
October 16, 2017 - 4:00 am

Yep, but I only have a couple dozen in my modest collection.  My passion is still with Winchester .22’s although I stray to military bolt actions once in awhile.

I am really sorry I am going to miss Bruce’s presentation.  Roy Jinks spoke at the last one and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Wish I lived closer to Springfield, MA.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
October 16, 2017 - 3:32 pm

JWA said
Yep, but I only have a couple dozen in my modest collection.  My passion is still with Winchester .22’s although I stray to military bolt actions once in awhile.

I am really sorry I am going to miss Bruce’s presentation.  Roy Jinks spoke at the last one and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Wish I lived closer to Springfield, MA.

Best Regards,  

I was born back there and my Uncle, a Teamster, used to deliver to the Armory all the time. Left there at 4 years never to return. Like poor Charlie on the MTA. No one knows what became of me.     Big Larry

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 172
November 12, 2017 - 7:28 am

“Left there at 4 years never to return.”  And I’ll likely never go.  I should but probably won’t.  But I do have some of their products with a few from other manufacturers’ tossed into the mix (The carbine is the only Winchester because I’ve never found the right Winchester M1).  Sorry but I haven’t gotten around to taking photos of my 1903s except for these two blurry ones of my 1932 Sporter and 1915 NRA Sales rifle.  BK

012.JPGImage EnlargerNRA-Sporter-1-1.jpgImage EnlargerR1609-1.jpgImage Enlarger 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
November 12, 2017 - 4:23 pm

Bruce Koligian said
“Left there at 4 years never to return.”  And I’ll likely never go.  I should but probably won’t.  But I do have some of their products with a few from other manufacturers’ tossed into the mix (The carbine is the only Winchester because I’ve never found the right Winchester M1).  Sorry but I haven’t gotten around to taking photos of my 1903s except for these two blurry ones of my 1932 Sporter and 1915 NRA Sales rifle.  BK

012.JPGImage EnlargerNRA-Sporter-1-1.jpgImage EnlargerR1609-1.jpgImage Enlarger   

Bruce, here is a pic of my WIN-13. It’s as good as it gets for Winchester Garands. Was a gift from a friend several years ago when I collected US Martial Arms.     # 1610052, maybe 3-1945.   Big LarryWIN-13-001.jpgImage EnlargerWIN-13-004.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
November 12, 2017 - 8:23 pm

Larry, that’s a very nice rifle, and a Win-13 to boot!  Funny thing, I remember when I practically lived to collect and shoot M1s but now it’s Winchesters!  I should thin that herd of Garands but…

WACA Member
November 12, 2017 - 8:44 pm

Bruce Koligian said
Larry, that’s a very nice rifle, and a Win-13 to boot!  Funny thing, I remember when I practically lived to collect and shoot M1s but now it’s Winchesters!  I should thin that herd of Garands but…  

I had a super collection of Garands years ago. Nothing too old but I did have a set of Snipers rifles. M1-C, M1-D, and a USMC Kollmorgen. The C and D were papered. I sold the D and gave the person who gave me the WIN-13 my documented NIB M1-C. He has a very substantial US militaria collection of rifles, pistols, and blades. My time in the Marines was when they still issued Garands, and my Dad, a 20 year Combat Marine, had me fire my first at 9 years at Camp Matthews, La Jolla. Now it’s Winchester 22’s. An often overlooked and underrated part of the Winchester line, but not for long. Thanks for sharing. Big Larry

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
November 13, 2017 - 5:18 pm

I forgot to mention that the Colt Single Action bug has also bitten me…there’s too much to learn in too short a time and that’s why I’m here leaning on you guys.  Thanks.

WACA Member
November 13, 2017 - 7:44 pm

Bruce Koligian said
I forgot to mention that the Colt Single Action bug has also bitten me…there’s too much to learn in too short a time and that’s why I’m here leaning on you guys.  Thanks.  

Man, are you in for it now. You think Winchesters are expensive?

I have owned my share over the years, both 1st and 2nd generation. In my closet I have a NIB 1958 vintage Buntline that I gave my Stepson a few years ago. I have but one left, a SAA 45 shipped to the Copper Queen Mine, Bisbee AZ in 1906. Colts and Winchesters. Does not get any better than that. Big Larry

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
November 14, 2017 - 3:00 am

Bruce Koligian said

I love the Colt SAA’s but sold my last one this past spring…and then prices went up again! At the moment I think there’s more money to be made with Colt but the sector seems too volatile for my tastes. Quite honestly I don’t understand the market well enough to play that game so I’ll stick with trying to learn the Winchester market. These days (almost) all my SAA’s are Uberti, Cimmaron and Navy Arms clones and (almost) all my Winchesters are pre-64 and many are pre-war. I wish I could justify chasing both of my passions but can’t. Good news is that the repro SAA’s are very good shooters and with BP are cheap, loud & dirty fun. Another bit of good fun is that almost all my old Winchesters can be fired all I care to fire them without affecting their value.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346