Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Interesting1894 - When Sights Matter
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 16, 2018 - 5:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

tionesta1 said
Steve,

I think you’re right. They must be using Madis numbers.

Al  

Al – 

As we have discussed on a few different threads, many still use the Madis numbers. But what amused me is using the Madis numbers to claim antique status when you post a museum letter that has a received in warehouse, and shipped from warehouse date that is 1901.  I wonder if pressed on this, they would argue that the serial number was applied before it was received in the warehouse, hence the Madis number can be construed to be correct (as far as when the serial number was actually applied to the receiver).  Since the topic has appeared on different threads, I now just pay more attention than I used to.  Amusing to me, but only mildly.

I was more taken with looking at the 18 inch barreled carbine I referenced.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
May 16, 2018 - 6:20 pm

Steve,

Was the 18″ barreled carbine you listed in the sold section of the web site?  I believe 18″ barreled model 1894’s are very rare.  

The more current museum letters for the model 1894’s list the serial number application dates, if available.

Al

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
May 16, 2018 - 6:24 pm

Yes, Collector’s is using the dates that BATFE goes by, probably since they are a vendor and that simplifies some paperwork.  Also, they interpret the 1968 GCA statement regarding obsolete calibers  “(2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.” literally.  A couple of years ago I purchased a High Wall from them that was made in 1902 (no quibbles about the date) but since it is in 40-60 caliber they didn’t require the FFL transfer procedure.  This was before Bert’s post on another thread that pointed out (2) only applies to replicas.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 16, 2018 - 8:07 pm

tionesta1 said
Steve,

Was the 18″ barreled carbine you listed in the sold section of the web site?  I believe 18″ barreled model 1894’s are very rare.  

The more current museum letters for the model 1894’s list the serial number application dates, if available.

Al  

Yes, it was in their sold section.  It’s a pretty decent piece as far as condition.  It also has a half magazine.  Neat that it letters as a carbine, with an 18 inch barrel, half magazine and no sling ring.  Someone seemed to know exactly what they wanted when they ordered this one.  I’m sure with that short barrel and half magazine, it handles like a wand in the hand.

Cool

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348